Book or Nook?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Re: Book or Nook?

Post by ebeth »

I've never read from a nook. I have always done Amazon Kindle. I prefer book though if I can.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Karla_Burrow
Currently Reading: Heart of the Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Karla_Burrow »

I prefer a book over the nook. I guess I am more of an old school person when it comes to books.
Snowflake_31

Post by Snowflake_31 »

I have a Kindle on my iPad and phone(although can't see to read on the phone-lol). I like the iPad when I travel because I can read and not disturb others. But, holding the device, even supported on a pillow, strains my neck and end up with neck strain. So, overall I like books.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

Even when tablets were still just science fiction, both Captain Kirk (Star Trek, the movie) and Captain Pickard ( Next Generation episode with him on vacation) expressed preference for a real book. I have to agree. I love the feel of a real book, and tablets our useless in sunlight. But the convenience of the tablet is ideal for when on the go and in low light settings like my husband's man cave or in bed. I will often have several physical library books checked out and also digital library books on my Overdrive application. Sometimes I will put a hold on both formats and see which one becomes available first. I have also been guilty of reading the real book at home and then finding my place to continue the book on my tablet when I am out.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
BrandyBeaudin
Currently Reading: unEnchanted (An unfortunate tale)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandybeaudin.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BrandyBeaudin »

I would have to say kindle all the way, no way I could afford to read so many good books and mostly for free with out it, I do still love getting my hard copies of course for those times electricity is not on my side!
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
pink

Post by pink »

There is something really special about books. The touch and smell of a book is wonderful. I love my Nook though.
One Mans Thoughts

Post by One Mans Thoughts »

Honestly I love my Kindle ( paperwhite and not kindle fire). Although both have their own merits. Nothing can compare to the feel of an physical book in your hands. The feeling of the paper, the sound of a page turning even the weight are all so amazingly appealing; almost addicting. Also Let's all be honest with ourselves there is something very classic about walking into someone's home who has a great book collection or even a small library of their own.

That being said I'm a kindle man. How could that be when I so clearly and strongly love words on paper. It comes down to life; while I would like to have a library all to myself in my home that simply isn't feasible. I travel for work quite a bit and I also have a long commute to and from work daily using public transport. Having the ability to have hundreds of books at my finger tips is priceless. Another major point that puts the kindle a head for me is the size. It's much easier to travel with a kindle than a 900 page Stephen king novel and the same applies for when I lay in bed to read I don't want to hold up a three pound book over my face as I slowly drift off and inevitably drop the dang thing on my face.

Either way reading is an escape into another reality, being both time and interdimentional travel. A drug that I am happily addicted to. Happy reading whether it is paper or digital print.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I love my Kindle app but there will never be anything that can replace the feel of a book in your hand, or the smell.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
OctoberSkye13
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-octoberskye13.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by OctoberSkye13 »

Hi there!
I am a traditional book junkie. Just because I love the paper smell, I love the feeling of a physical book, and there is just something nostalgic to me about physically owning a copy of a book. I mean, I own a record player and use it frequently, I am an old soul to the core, and I am resistant to technology advancing so quickly. I have such fond memories of climbing trees in my back yard as a child, just to sit up in the boughs and read for hours on a summer day. Physical books are pretty dummy-proof (easy to bookmark, easy to operate, and more user friendly that most tablets). Physical books can't be accidentally deleted. In the event your equipment gets a virus, a physical book won't be wiped from the memory. Physical books are a nice way to decorate a room and make house feel like home. (Superficial sounding, I know. But it does have a way of making things feel a bit homier.) Physical books are nice because I like to write little notes in the margins and underline phrases and statements that resonate with me. It's neat to go back and flip through years later.
However, when I went to college, all of my textbooks were e-books. I got an iPad and downloaded all of my textbooks, which were FREE downloads, because I paid for them along with my tuition. Even though I paid for the books through tuition, the ebook versions of the textbooks tended to be MUCH less expensive! I know a friend who pays anywhere from $100-$500 (per book) for textbooks. Depending on your field of study, your textbooks quickly become outdated and unusable, therefore, impossible to re-sell later. Another advantage to an ereader would be if you tend to read multiple books at a time. Instead of physically having to switch books, all you do is go to your library and select a different version to begin reading immediately. ANOTHER advantage to an ereader is that you can search for and purchase the desired book in just a few minutes. You can get exactly the edition you want without having to pound the pavement going from store to store to find the book you want.
In any case, it truly depends on what suits YOU and YOUR needs the best. :) Either option is a great one and I'm so glad that ebooks have made reading so much easier and accessible to so many people, even if I am and always will be an old soul. :)
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Emmanuel Cassimatis
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Emmanuel Cassimatis »

Agree with TimeKeeperApprentice and other members about questions raised so
the book has an evergreen charm, with its smell and its touch, moroever it is an object that could be borrowed (even bookcrossed) and for this reason it supports (or support-ed, don't know if still stading)human relations;
kindles and similar have the advantage to contain a huge amount of interesting readings and they allow to study better the meaning and pronunciation of a word for instance making reading more interactive and funny.
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

When I'm reading a graphic novels, I always prefer having the physical version. (EX. The Walking Dead). Other than that I'm all for ebooks.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Nancy-83
Favorite Author: sylvia day
Currently Reading: Claim me
Bookshelf Size: 26
fav_author_id: 3447

Post by Nancy-83 »

I prefer to use my kindle device or some of my reading apps that I've downloaded. It's just alot easier to just go to a bookstore and buy with a debit or credit cards that you already have saved to your accounts. And as much as I read I would have too many books ? in my house and no where to put them except on my bookshelf which is already completely full. Although I do buy paperback books ?. I buy all of my favorite authors books in paperback.
lwelch819500
Currently Reading: The Royal Secret
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwelch819500.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by lwelch819500 »

I am not used to reading on Kindle yet. I mostly enjoy books for now. When I read more books on the kindle then I will like it.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
Schullerk
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-schullerk.html

Post by Schullerk »

Its hard.. i love the feel of books in my hands turning the pages with anticipation on whats going to happen next... I also hate having the books in my purse which start to discolor the pages or whatever items i have end up ripping the pages or folding them absurdly..
With ebooks after a while the screen starts to hurt your eyes, accidentally touching the screen and loose the spot u were at or it closes the app is a pain too...
Also no one ever steals a book but will steal an electronic device that you read your books on.
To each their own on this discussion.. this is my opinion though :-)
HSortor
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsortor.html

Post by HSortor »

I find that I still use both. I have a first gen Nook, an Amazon Kindle, and paper books. It depends on the situation as to what is better, however, I can tell you this, you never have to find your charger for a real book, and thats a bummer sometimes.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”