Kindle vs. books My personal opinion

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
readergirl295
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Kindle vs. books My personal opinion

Post by readergirl295 »

With a book, you can actually feel, and turn the pages. You can smell the pages, and (if the book is old) see the wear and tear in the binding. With a Kindle (or a Nook, or another eReader), you have to hold some sort of device. While it may be easier to carry and transport, its just not the same as a good old fashion book.
GliddenBooks
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gliddenbooks.html
Latest Review: "My Gay Dream" by Alex Ikke-Tuppel

Post by GliddenBooks »

I have to agree with those of you who retain a love for the old school reach out and touch you version of books. However, as a complete book hoarder, my one true vice, I have become, after much resistance, a huge fan of electronic readers, specifically Kindle and the versatility it has brought about with it. Instead of lugging a back full of multiple heavy books with me along to the beach, airplane school, etc., I can now travel with an arsenal of both professional and personal resources literally in the palm of my hand. Not to mention, the now highly gratifying ability to instantly download most of my reading desire with no physical trip to the book store needed.

That being said, "real" books retain the appeal of holding something truly tangible in your hands. The basic form of honoring an authors written work in a form easily shared with or given to others once you've had your fill, or the ability to enshrine and display your love for a particular works on your book shelf or coffee table as both decoration and conversation starter. Overall, both continue to hold their places in society and if nothing else, allow us to have variety of choice amongst two venues of availability and appreciation that we can adapt to our needs at will.

I could never give my kindle up now that it has found a place in my heart, but the volumes of books that line my closets and shelves are also here to stay.
Latest Review: "My Gay Dream" by Alex Ikke-Tuppel
dinak

Post by dinak »

I like kindle and the idea of reading a lot of books without worrying about the space in my room. I think I'm going to get one soon as I'm using Ipad to read ebooks at the moment. I also like the whole experience of reading a book, holding the book, turning the pages. Two different experiences..
purrthunder

Post by purrthunder »

I do love a regular book but I do like how easily I can carry around a kindle. I have an older version without a back light so i feel like I am looking at a actual book. I don't think I would use it if it had a back light. I will never give up a regular book I love the feel the smell pretty much everything about a real book. :mrgreen:
chaseafterthewind

Post by chaseafterthewind »

I have a nook (I did download the Kindle App for my amazon books). I love to read and to write as well. While I love my tablet, there is something about a real book that just appeals to me. I hope we do not get to the days where books become completely obsolete and we only rely on e-books. I do think it is a great way to self-publish, though I have not given it a try yet. I kind of like the idea of going by the old fashion way of submitting your queries to publishers.
awright19

Post by awright19 »

I would definitely choose an e-book reader, particularly my kindle paperwhite, over a hard copy. Mostly because I'm completely OCD about my books, I'm so particular about their condition and even their edition. With the kindle paperwhite, however, I don't have to worry about bent spines and dog eared pages, the books will always remain perfect condition.
gladeslibrarian
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladeslibrarian.html

Post by gladeslibrarian »

readergirl295 wrote:With a book, you can actually feel, and turn the pages. You can smell the pages, and (if the book is old) see the wear and tear in the binding. With a Kindle (or a Nook, or another eReader), you have to hold some sort of device. While it may be easier to carry and transport, its just not the same as a good old fashion book.
True, but if you read a lot and are on a long trip an e-reader is much easier to pack (and costs less!)

-- 29 Jan 2014, 12:23 --
GliddenBooks wrote:I could never give my kindle up now that it has found a place in my heart, but the volumes of books that line my closets and shelves are also here to stay.
I agree with you!

-- 29 Jan 2014, 12:23 --
GliddenBooks wrote:I could never give my kindle up now that it has found a place in my heart, but the volumes of books that line my closets and shelves are also here to stay.
I agree with you!
dusty rose

Post by dusty rose »

I love books and have a library in my house filled with books. I often go in there and just look for old favorites and curl up and read. But my Kindle Fire is on my night table. My boyfriend hates the light on and I can read the Kindle without bothering him. I still buy hardcover books but I do use my Kindle more. I can't always get out so the Kindle gets me the books I want to read.
mydarlingbeloved
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mydarlingbeloved.html

Post by mydarlingbeloved »

Books are better.
There's no way for kindle to be better honestly
19letizia95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19letizia95.html

Post by 19letizia95 »

books forever haha
LadyDi6259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladydi6259.html

Post by LadyDi6259 »

I love my kindle. My family got me one for my birthday and I carry it with me always. I can sit in the dentists office and read and not have to worry about anyone knowing what I'm reading. The only thing I don't like is I can't cheat and read the ending, but I've found that I actually like reading the story better that way.
giorgos_97

Post by giorgos_97 »

I have a kindle and I really like it, but to be honest, I prefer the actual book. When I'm home , I always read the book but since most of the times I cant carry it around wherever I go, I use my kindle as well!
amber200419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber200419.html

Post by amber200419 »

I love my kindle it makes carrying all my books easier when I am going some where. When I am at home I prefer books the feel of the paper just relaxes me.
WriterBLAlley

Post by WriterBLAlley »

My strategy exactly.

I love the eBook concept. I can carry hundreds of books in less space than one paperback, and even see my books on multiple devices. (Even pick up where I left off).

I also like the idea of not wasting trees just to make books, when we need them to build houses.
kirsty187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsty187.html

Post by kirsty187 »

I love my kindle and I also love nothing more than snuggling up with a good paper book. The kindle is fantastic when I'm away I can fit almost my whole library in my handbag and not be weighted down. If I've been particularly unorganised or in a rush and forget a book or my kindle I've also got it on my phone so I can read where ever I am. Got to love technology

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”