Kindle vs. books My personal opinion

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Kenn_Baker
Favorite Author: Chuck Palahniuk
Currently Reading: Game of thrones Series
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2812

Kindle vs. books My personal opinion

Post by Kenn_Baker »

I love that a technology has been created for readers. Kindle's were not video games systems or video viewers that turned into book viewers, that is what they are intended for. That warms my heart...that literacy is not dead. That being said, I am a new author. I recently finished my first novel (Which I am not trying to promote here, so please bear with me) The price of self-publishing is costly, but i can epublish my book for free and hopefully get a buzz going about it, in order to raise the funds to publish. That is a great thing.

I love the tangibility of a book. The texture and feel of the pages. Being able to highlight passages, being able to take them outside and not worry about battery life. I love that we live in a world where we have these options.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I think there will always be a market for real, traditional books. Hey, there is still a market for those old 8-track giant records.

I am new to the ereader game. I just got my Nook for my birthday in October. I was happy when I got it, but after using it for even just a week I am a total convert. All my doubts about ereaders have been washed away and I can go the rest of my life without ever reading a regular book.

Highlighting is easier on my Nook because I do not have to worry about ruining the book and can see all my highlights and notes listed digitally a special page where I can click anyone to instantly be brought to that page in the book. I also find it much easier to hold my Nook and maneuver my body, the book and light-source than with traditional books if not simply because the screen is easier to read and I do not have to worry about holding the book open. These are just my opinions of course; I don't doubt there is a good number of people that would still prefer the look and feel of traditional books.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Shadow_Steph
Favorite Author: Ally Carter
Favorite Book: Gallagher Girls
Currently Reading: Seeing Green the eco mystery book three
fav_author_id: 4387

Post by Shadow_Steph »

Books have a market cause there are those that will always love books rather then readers, best example is my mom when I bought my new nook simple touch I tried giving my first edition to my mom she refused.
LottLott
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Alice in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by LottLott »

I have a kindle... and i love it! Its never further than about an arms reach from me!

However... I do still find i buy the odd book.... Especially if its a non fiction (most recently Frozen Planet)
Jssherr

Post by Jssherr »

I too have a kindle and I am totally hooked. I also read on my Ipad and find the kindle configuration is very similar to a book with side by side pages. I truthfully have not read a book except for cook books etc in maybe two years...Times have really changed!!!!
Purple Rose

Post by Purple Rose »

Where I live, there are no libraries. People read the newspapers and that's about it. Book shops cater to tourists and are extremely expensive. I have more books than I can read over the next year but if I wish to read something else, I'm stuck. A Kindle would serve me well but no, I love the whole experience of reading a book too much. Holding the book, truning the pages, the crisp smell of paper. As much as I probably need a Kindle, I'll remain loyal to printed books.
RosarioPozzi

Post by RosarioPozzi »

Man this question is such a hard one for me, i mean, i love my kindle. But i keep buying books, i love going to a bookshop, hunting down something i love. But then i also love the easiness of the kindle and the fact that, I will never run out of books to read before i go to buy the next one. But then i love to read in the bath, who knows it's too hard a question. I am grateful that technology has been aimed specifically at readers, but at the same time it is trying to force me to stop buying books.
I end up feeling guilty everytime I buy a book, because i feel like it is a waste of money.

jeez.
:)
Skybluepink

Post by Skybluepink »

I personally love my kindle. I have sensitivity to light and eye strain very quickly. I love that the kindle is e-ink. (I have the kindle with keyboard) If I need a light I have a light for it.

I love that I can enlarge the print size as well. How many times with physical books have you got ready to read one and find the print incredibly small? I know I have many times.

I also love that I can carry my whole library with me at once. It simply fits in my purse too.
Shadow_Steph
Favorite Author: Ally Carter
Favorite Book: Gallagher Girls
Currently Reading: Seeing Green the eco mystery book three
fav_author_id: 4387

Post by Shadow_Steph »

I love my nook, it has rekindled my desire to read two years ago pre-nook era I read like one book, last year read 22 e books and I'm on pace to shatter that mark already I read four e books in January.
Arcadian Butterfly
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcadian-butterfly.html

Post by Arcadian Butterfly »

I am really enjoying the discussion about kindle vs books. I was one of those people who said I'd NEVER get an e-book reader, NEVER. But then....

I got my kindle exactly a year ago and it is simply the most wonderful purchase I have ever made. People talk about the love of the feel of a book and the intoxicating smell of the paper and I totally agree but the texture of the Kindle is beautiful too and I look at my kindle and feel very lucky to have this little device that can give me so very much.

However, when reading a physical book I often stare at the cover while lost in thought and gain an intimate knowledge of the cover, the artwork, the connection between the story and the cover. With the Kindle I often forget exactly the title of the book I'm reading as I'm not picking up the book and finding my place in it. I also find that books can blur more in my mind with the Kindle than with with a real book as i can move onto the next book within seconds. With a book I have the memory of touching it, how it feels and smells, the font used, the paper thickness and the many differences between different books.

So now I try to be more aware of what I am reading and I'm using a technique to ensure that books don't blur so easily - I tell people, mainly my husband about the book and I try to leave gaps between books so I can think about each book and give it the time it deserves.

Having a Kindle has made me really think about books and reading, accessability and sharing in a whole new way. It has opened up a new world to me, including this forum. I'm excited about the future for the Kindle when maybe you can get the scent of a book along with the Kindle....who knows ......
Skybluepink

Post by Skybluepink »

Arcadian Butterfly: You could always start a book blog. Those are very popular right now. You simply blog what your review is of the book. Or you could use goodreads for the same thing. :)
Arcadian Butterfly
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcadian-butterfly.html

Post by Arcadian Butterfly »

Hi Skybluepink, thank you for that idea. I did start one but I read so much I couldn't keep up. I want to remember more of what I read. Other people have said the same thing, that often they forget the books they read, other than the really exceptional ones. So perhaps returning to the blog is the answer and making a more memorable connection. :)
BalkanboyMedia

Post by BalkanboyMedia »

For me it depends. When at home at bad, I prefer printed book. When in coffee bar in the sun, I am fine with personal library in my hands and reading on the screen.

Really hard to make a final call what is better, I guess it depends on situation for everyone.
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

I agree with you. I like actual books better then a e reader.
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
BloodyNine

Post by BloodyNine »

Arcadian Butterfly wrote:I am really enjoying the discussion about kindle vs books. I was one of those people who said I'd NEVER get an e-book reader, NEVER. But then....

I got my kindle exactly a year ago and it is simply the most wonderful purchase I have ever made. People talk about the love of the feel of a book and the intoxicating smell of the paper and I totally agree but the texture of the Kindle is beautiful too and I look at my kindle and feel very lucky to have this little device that can give me so very much.

However, when reading a physical book I often stare at the cover while lost in thought and gain an intimate knowledge of the cover, the artwork, the connection between the story and the cover. With the Kindle I often forget exactly the title of the book I'm reading as I'm not picking up the book and finding my place in it. I also find that books can blur more in my mind with the Kindle than with with a real book as i can move onto the next book within seconds. With a book I have the memory of touching it, how it feels and smells, the font used, the paper thickness and the many differences between different books.

So now I try to be more aware of what I am reading and I'm using a technique to ensure that books don't blur so easily - I tell people, mainly my husband about the book and I try to leave gaps between books so I can think about each book and give it the time it deserves.

Having a Kindle has made me really think about books and reading, accessability and sharing in a whole new way. It has opened up a new world to me, including this forum. I'm excited about the future for the Kindle when maybe you can get the scent of a book along with the Kindle....who knows ......
My thoughts exactly.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”