Kindle vs. books My personal opinion

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
its a mun thing
Currently Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-its-a-mun-thing.html

Re: Kindle vs. books My personal opinion

Post by its a mun thing »

Books. *3* simple and easy. I get by with books resold for around 1-2 dollar equivalent of money in my country while electricity + internet costs around 50 a month. plus what do you do if your pc crashes and not repairable? your entire bookshelves get swiped out and its more often occurring than setting the house on fire no?
KAnne820
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanne820.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by KAnne820 »

I love kindle and regular books. Kindle really helps when you have kids at home. They can't rip or grab the pages of an e-reader. But I still love regular books also when they are sleeping though.
burbnerd82
Currently Reading: The Club Dumas
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-burbnerd82.html

Post by burbnerd82 »

I personally, am a huge fan of having the actual book. I love seeing the cover art, reading about the author, turning the pages...just something about it. I also am the type of person that loves to have the actual CD or Album, not downloaded. But that being said, I have gotten into downloading books onto my smart phone for slow days at work. Very handy and budget friendly. I still have hopes and dreams of a big record collection and a huge book library at home, but the Ebooks are growing on me. I grew up in the 90s whey we had the beginnings of technology but we still made mix tapes and played outside without our parents worrying.
wuliwawa
Currently Reading: Mothers and Other Liars

Post by wuliwawa »

kindle is convenient for reading fictions and novels.
But traditional books are better for reading literature, poems and scientific papers, etc
I personally feel hard to focus and think seriously with e readers .
midlightangel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midlightangel.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by midlightangel »

I think paper books have a certain mood setting ability and they do less damage to your eyes. However, I'm personally always reading and the convenience of having my books on my phone is a big help. I can also mark up the text easier. I mostly only have my favorites or books that were on a good sale as hard copies :techie-studyingbrown:
Writer4God
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Refuge At Highland Hall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer4god.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Writer4God »

I have a kindle and I love it, but I will always prefer physical books in comparison to ebooks. I do enjoy reading on my kindle but I only download free books. So I read and enjoy both, but definitely prefer physical books.
BlameSunshine
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blamesunshine.html

Post by BlameSunshine »

I love reading, but, honestly, it is hard to get into the e-readers. Many people have tried so hard over the years to get me one as gifts, but nothing beats having a physical book in my hands and smelling those pages. Don't get me wrong, the e-reader is great for shorter books and is awesome for keeping clutter down and I am very slowly reading more books through my ipad or phone, I just don't think I will ever be able to fully convert.
doug64editor

Post by doug64editor »

Only a few years ago I would go to the used book stores to get used paperbacks. They sold them for half the original sticker price, and then when you brought them back to "trade in" you got half of what you paid. Fair enough. But as the price of paperbacks kept increasing, even a used book was getting pricey. So with a Kindle, you set your own price point, and get more than you could ever read from places like Amazon. And there are tons of books in the $2 range if that is what you are looking for. Typically those are new authors, but even Stephen King was new at one time. My only complaint about the Kindle is that the book title is not displayed when you are into a book - you have to go back to the home screen for that. Someone asks what you are reading - and seriously, if it has been a couple of weeks, the title slips your mind, no matter how good the book is. Also the battery icon - you need the home screen. Really critical if 5 minutes after you sit down to read, it tells you you need to plug in.
Novelbound
Currently Reading: She Walks These Hills
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelbound.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Novelbound »

I love physcial books and have bookshelves full. But, that being said, I rarely read real books anymore. I own two kindles-a kindle keyboard and a kindle fire- and I almost exclusively read on them. I never thought that time would come for me because I used to hate the idea of a kindle. I just found that they are so much more convenient for me. I can sync my two kindles together so that I can read in the dark on my Kindle fire.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I've been a voracious reader throughout my life. My favorite type of book type was paperback due to their size and carriability. In 2008, I bought the first of my many versions of the kindle reader. At first it was just a new toy for me, there were books but not enough being sold then to change how I read much. As time went on the devices improved and availability of books both new and old favorites. the devices really never completely changed my reading habits, until an injury interfered with my ability to carry around physical books. Around that time the readers starting being backlit, with increased battery time and increased accessibility to books both old and new.
My newest device the Kindle voyage is my favorite thing for reading, in tandem with my Fire tablet. I have access to library books and setting up bookshelves on this site which lets me enjoy that beautiful cover art, which I had been missing in e-format books up to now. I have a leatherlike book cover which makes the device feel like an actual book in my hand, and a solar charger for those times when you are away from an outlet. I think I am becoming a reading snob as I rarely read authors who won't publish in e-book format anymore. Who can beat being able to carry hundreds of books with you, and easy accessibility to more at any given time.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
AK413
Currently Reading: Circling the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak413.html

Post by AK413 »

I prefer a book. Something about flipping the pages, watching your progress with how far along your book mark has gone, and that final close of the covers after the last chapter. Not to mention that by bookshelves are the focal point in my living room! But I do have a nook for vacation use, its lighter than carrying multiple books in a carryon.
AishaTBN
Currently Reading: The Thousand Nights And One Night
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishatbn.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by AishaTBN »

Though I really prefer paper books over ebooks but at times when I am out and not with my book I love the idea that I can download something and read. It really helps to kill time and if the new book turns out to be interesting then I am hooked until its finished.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
dbrooks8109
Currently Reading: The Buried Pyramid
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbrooks8109.html
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dbrooks8109 »

I too have a Kindle Fire as well as the Ibooks app on my phone. I like the freedom it gives to read anywhere and everywhere but there is definitely something about holding a book in your hands and getting lost in the pages.
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
little_one

Post by little_one »

I personally don't like reading online because it isn't as nice. I like having the physical copy of a book in my hand. There is something about having a physical copy of a book in your hands that makes reading more fun and you can remember more that happens in the book. Having a book is great because it let's you escape from the electronics and internet for a little. It also helps increases your intelligence because when you read you are introduced to many new ideas.
Momofthree81
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Momofthree81 »

I find that I love books both on e-readers and books with pages. I love library's and bookstores, something about being surrounded by all the books and the smell. You just don't get that with Nooks or Kindles. However, being a mom, I don't have the luxury of going to bookstores and libraries as often as I would like to. So e-readers make it convenient to be able to search for books and read them from the comfort of my own home. I am an introvert too so going to places with a lot of people isn't exactly fun for me. For me, regardless the source, it's about the stories, the adventure, the experiences I get to live through the characters in the books!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”