Kindle vs. books My personal opinion

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Re: Kindle vs. books My personal opinion

Post by AMP76 »

I have a kindle, but I use it rarely, and really only for review books or a rare bookclub selection that I am never going to read again. I love actual paper and hardcover books. I love the tactile weight of a book in my hands and the sound of a page turning or the smell of the ink on the paper. Yea yes call me old fashioned, but I will always have actual books. The kindle is ok and I can understand its appeal....to everyone else ;)
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
Bookworm4ever
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bookworm4ever »

I prefer to have a book in my hand, however, when I go on holiday the books which I take are so big I can take hardly any!

I think it would be easier to have a kindle but only if you didn't have to pay for the books AGAIN when you already have them. To me that is just stupid.
catolle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catolle.html

Post by catolle »

I love the idea of kibdle books. It saves shelf place in your house. I love to read and I am constantly getting books and running out of shelf space. Its hard yo get rid of books to. With the kindle I can keep all my books in one spot and not lose shelf space. Plus its cheaper as well.
hopeingod

Post by hopeingod »

I'm hooked on using my Galaxy for reading those books I download. Not everything I read can be downloaded, so what I have in hand is probably fifty percent of my reading.

For instance, the biography I'm now reading on Thomas Hardy is a former library book, hardback has a fairly small print. If it was to be put on Kindle, it would likely increase to nearly a thousand pages.

I very much enjoy biographies, once I break into them. It's finding the combination to the lock that takes time. Once done, I'm off, totally immersed into the life of another.
KirstyJ1994
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirstyj1994.html

Post by KirstyJ1994 »

I do have a kindle app on my tablet and have read quite a few books on there, but will always prefer real books. Although I do like that you can get instant definitions of unfamiliar words when reading ebooks.
JuliannaSilva
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliannasilva.html

Post by JuliannaSilva »

I think books are superior to Kindles for nighttime reading because it has been proven that spending time on an electronic device before bed makes it harder and take longer to sleep, while reading from a book actually helps you fall asleep. It is recommended that you read a book for ten minutes before attempting to sleep if you tent to have trouble falling asleep at night. The only pro Kindles have at night is that they are their own light source, but having more trouble falling asleep after putting it down hardly makes it worth not having to turn on a lamp.
Hannah2792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah2792.html

Post by Hannah2792 »

I can't help but buy real books. I have visions when I'm older of tall oak bookcases floor to ceiling teeming with them. There is almost nothing more beautiful than a truly high quality book with a story you love on the pages. For me it adds to the reading experience.
That being said, I appreciate eReaders have their uses. For travelling they are particularly good and space of course. So many books on so small a device. But ultimately, I'll always choose the feel of paper and the weight of a paperback.
SheritaDM0412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheritadm0412.html

Post by SheritaDM0412 »

Books! I like to mark up my books and revisit them and mark them up some more.
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

My opinion about e-readers has changed since I purchased a tablet a few weeks ago. Before then, I would have said without qualification that I hate reading on computers or electronic devices, and it seemed like sacrilege to curl up with a stiff glass-and-plastic device to read.

Now that I have learned more about the wealth of free titles available at Gutenberg and other sites, including almost all of the classics and many older books I would have been hard-pressed to find in a well-stocked university library, I think e-readers are much more useful than I gave them credit for. When I want to read a book I don't plan to buy and keep, or one I can't easily find elsewhere, e-readers are great. They are even more comfortable for long readings than I had thought--I've recently read half of Robinson Crusoe online.

However, given a choice I would still take an actual book anytime. Most importantly, I like that cloth and paper is more comfortable to handle for hours of reading. And most actual books are much more forgiving when you fall asleep reading them--my Nexus cracked me in the head the other day when I made that mistake with an e-book!
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
mcgregors

Post by mcgregors »

Kindle all the way guys.. we need to embrace the technology. I liken this post to mobile phone vs landline phone 20 years ago and back then people criticise mobils but gradually people just adapt. It will be the same thing again with books
MidnightAngel16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midnightangel16.html

Post by MidnightAngel16 »

I use my kindle all the time. It's convenient. But for my favorite authors I buy their books and collect them. Those books I'll read over and over again and prefer the traditional paper book to the kindle in that sense.
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

My life has completely changed because of the Kindle. I have more access to free books, reviews and online community. There is no need to store books and you can have thousands of books at your fingertips with the Kindle.
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

My life has completely changed because of the Kindle. I have more access to free books, reviews and online community. There is no need to store books and you can have thousands of books at your fingertips with the Kindle.
Carina

Post by Carina »

I have to agree I love my kindle.. But at times I miss having a real book in hand.I do also hit up the bookstore for old fathful..
Sava-Blum

Post by Sava-Blum »

I do not have an ereader. I love books, the feel, the smell and the look of a book. I have downloaded some ebooks when I absolutely can't order them from my independant bookstore. I don't buy from Amazon, I hope to never have to buy from Amazon, I prefer the local economy to the corporate economy.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”