Do you have a Nook or a Kindle? Why?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.

Do you have a Nook or a Kindle?

I have a Nook.
20%
I have a Kindle.
63%
I have a different e-reader.
9%
I do not have an e-reader.
8%

Total votes: 232

mnemomma
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Do you have a Nook or a Kindle? Why?

Post by mnemomma »

I have a Kindle and I think like a lot of others got it for the instant gratification of having the book as soon as payment is cleared. You dont have to get in the car and drive to the nearest bookstore or wait for something to come in the mail. But... I'm not saying I'm one hundred percent satisfied, I still need the feel of an actual book. Call me old fashioned but its what I love.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

It is so great that we have this wonderful technology and all these choices to enhance our reading experiences! We are truly blessed like in no other period of our history in this way! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
patrickt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by patrickt »

I have a Kindle because at the time I got my first ereader the device didn't interest me.

I live in Mexico and read in English. I had for years been reading what I could find rather than what I wanted to read. I was waiting for a common format for ebooks. When I decided to get an ereader I looked for the best source for what I wanted to read which was available to me in Mexico. That was Amazon. So, I got the Kindle. I have, of course, upgraded since that first Kindle Keyboard and I've stayed with Kindle because I have a lifetime of books waiting to be read.
aradtke

Post by aradtke »

Crow is never palatable, so when my husband surprised me at Christmas a few years ago with a Nook, I loathed myself for loving it. I always used to stick my nose up at those "e-reader people." I loved the feel of a book in my hand and even more, the smell of one. The smell and feel of a book are still wonderful to me, but I can't say enough about the joys of using my Nook or the Nook app on my iPad or iPhone. Being able to touch a word and instantly look it up is absolutely priceless. The best part though is the ability to read into the wee hours of the night with the low light from the device. Book lights are so bright.
Patricia Dusenbury

Post by Patricia Dusenbury »

I have a kindle in part because Amazon seemed like a bigger marketplace, but most of all because my eyes were killing me after reading on my computer, and the kindle paperwhite has been reviewed as the easiest to read. I bought my paperwhite two weeks ago, and my only regret is that I let the price - and it is pricey - keep me from buying one for so long.

My husband appreciates the fact that I can now read into the small hours without having a reading light on.
Jazza32

Post by Jazza32 »

I have a Kindle. At the time, I didn't know any other type of e-reader existed. However, I'm glad I purchased the Touch Kindle, because it has numerous functions, I use on a regular basis. Functions such as being able to do text-to-speech, emailing word documents and pdfs to the kindle to convert as an e-book to read at a later date. I would highly recommend the kindle. I don't know anything about Nooks, so cannot comment on this.

I also love being able to download books for free, that's always a bonus, in a money hungry world.
kelseyvalentine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelseyvalentine.html

Post by kelseyvalentine »

I have a nook.
unicorny07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicorny07.html

Post by unicorny07 »

I actually have neither. I have a Kobo. I got it because it was a cheaper alternative and because it was just a simple reader. I just wanted to be able to read, and I didn't care about extra features. I had the very first version, and have since then bought a second one when my old one finally pooped out. Kobo e-readers are pretty good.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I have a nook and I really like it.It is easy to read and fun to play games and read.My top 3 favorite books are on my nook.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
meghannnelson13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghannnelson13.html

Post by meghannnelson13 »

I use Kindle on my iPad because I love being able to carry tons of books around with me all the time! But I do still have a hefty collection of printed books. I buy both, depending on which one is easier to get ahold of.
vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

My wife got a Kindle a couple of years ago because someone she knew was getting rid of it for $20. It is a rather old model (it has an actual keyboard and buttons instead of a tablet look like they do now) but it works, I connects to wireless and I can copy stuff to it.

We don't use it much but I can download free books from Amazon to read (have a whole bunch of them) and I can take it with me during travel so I don't have to carry a plethora of books. On the down side it's a little weird reading on it because you have to be careful not to touch the buttons or you'll be paging back/forward or going back to the menu screen without you really wanting to do that (did I mention the Kindle cost $20?).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Mrs. Bennet
lincolnp

Post by lincolnp »

I have had a Kindle for about 5 years now I am actually on my 2nd one. I am leaving hints that I want a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I would love to be able to check my Email and this site while I am laying in bed, getting ready to read. I love having all the books I could possibly want right at my finger tips. I have always taken books with me where ever I went even if I knew there was no way in hell I was going to be able to read it (like the grocery store). I am now a 2 bag lady instead of a 3 bag lady.
kybunnies
Favorite Author: Richard Adams
Favorite Book: Watership Down
Currently Reading: Eyewitness
Bookshelf Size: 3958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kybunnies.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4206

Post by kybunnies »

I actually have a Kindle Fire, (2) Kindle Keyboards, Nook ST, Android tablet, iPad. But I only read on Kindle Fire.

My nook is only used for ebooks that I borrow from the library.
Allison
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison.html

Post by Allison »

I have a Kindle Keyboard 3g and I bought it because of the price and features. I especially like that it has speakers as I like to use the text to speech feature. Its also very comfortable in the hand as its so lightweight and the ink display is very good. Overall though, the price was integral in my choosing this e-reader.
abookishblogger
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abookishblogger.html

Post by abookishblogger »

I own the original Kindle, the first ever edition, 3-4 years later, I still own it and still love it just as much. I received it for my birthday and I wanted it because, I love reading! At that time I wasn't in the book collecting frame of mind, and (regrettably) only really read free classics on there.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”