Official Review: The Elephant Chaser's Daughter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Official Review: The Elephant Chaser's Daughter

Post by lavellan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elephant Chaser's Daughter" by Shilpa Raj.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elephant Chaser’s Daughter by Shilpa Raj is a memoir about the author’s life in India. The opening scene describes the anguish and shock that Shilpa feels when she discovers that her younger sister Kavya has committed suicide. The book then proceeds to tell the details of Shilpa’s life in chronological order to explain the events that led up to this tragedy. At a young age, Shilpa was recruited to be a student at Shanti Bhavan, a non-profit school, where she would receive a solid education. While this opened new opportunities for Shilpa, it also led to a strong divide between Shilpa and the culture she grew up in.

I was thoroughly impressed by Raj’s storytelling abilities. She was able to effortlessly express the emotions and motivations of her large cast. I also greatly enjoyed the realism of her characters. Raj did not shy away from describing her own flaws and those of her family. For example, Shilpa’s father, or Appa, was a complex individual. He struggled with alcoholism and continuously cheated on Shilpa’s mother. Despite his flaws, Appa was the one who recognized the value of Shilpa obtaining a good education and pushed her to try her best. I also enjoyed the dichotomy between Shilpa’s school and home life. Shilpa and her family lived in a village named Thattaguppe. Thattaguppe was deeply rooted in tradition. This served as a wedge between Shilpa and her family at times. One conflict that arose between Shilpa and her grandmother dealt with the expectation that Shilpa would marry her uncle. This completely went against the morals that Shilpa was learning at Shanti Bhavan. I found myself on the edge of my seat hoping that Shilpa would be able to stay true to herself while still maintaining a loving relationship with her family.

In terms of faults, there were only two issues I had with the book. I had some difficulties keeping up with the names of Shilpa’s family. Since her extended family lived in the same village and, at times, house as Shilpa, there were a lot of names to remember. Additionally, I felt that not enough time was spent on developing Kavya and Shilpa’s brother Francis. Even though one of the main purposes of the book was to explain the contrast between Shilpa and Kavya, Kavya never was highlighted enough where I could get a firm grasp on her character. This issue also was seen to a greater extent with Francis. However, this could have been intentional. Kavya and Francis were often pushed to the side by Shilpa’s family as they were the younger siblings. As only one child from each family could attend Shanti Bhavan, not as much value was placed on Kavya and Francis. Not devoting as much time to the two siblings could have been Raj’s way of demonstrating how they were forgotten by both herself and her family.

I only noted one error while reading The Elephant Chaser’s Daughter. This involved the use of litters instead of liters. The book was well edited and seemed as if it had underwent professional editing.

I rate The Elephant Chaser’s Daughter 4 out of 4 stars. The memoir artfully describes the struggles of the author and emphasizes the importance of education. The issues I noted were not serious enough to detract from my enjoyment of the novel. I would recommend this book to readers interested in India and the struggles the poor and women must face there. Suicide is discussed in detail within the book. Audiences who are sensitive to the subject may be disturbed by this.

The Elephant Chaser's Daughter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lavellan's review? Post a comment saying so!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Very complete review, thank you. This book sounds great! I enjoy memoirs and I like getting into the real struggles of different cultures, Indian, in this case. I can identify with the clash in Shilpa´s life between tradition and moving forward and I´m very much interested in the suicide topic.
I´ll be adding to my shelves.
Aanu John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Aanu John »

This is motivating enough. Nice one.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Your review is very compelling. It sounds like quite the story. I can't even imagine having a younger sister commit suicide. Thanks for the well-written review and great story.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I enjoy memoirs and this one sounds engaging. I have recently read a very saddening book about suicide and its ripple effects, so I'm interested to read about this woman's life in the wake of losing her sister. I think people in general really underestimate the value of their own life story. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Sounds like an excellent read! The story reminded me of the first book I read on this site - it was called Elastic Girl and was also an Indian story. That one also kept me on the edge of my seat. Thanks for your review, I will check out The Elephant Chaser's daughter sometime.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the detailed review! This sounds like a fascinating read, as it discusses sensitive issues without shying away from it.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Your review has me sold! But something tells me it would be best to have a box of tissues close by when I read this book. Good job!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

A typical indian story that reflects the deep root of culture and traditions in indian villages that exists till this day. It's certainly an eye opener to a lot people, and for anyone who is interested in learning cultural diversity. Thank you for sharing your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
melissa_h
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-h.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by melissa_h »

Sounds like a fantastic read, with a brilliant review to go with it! Delving into different cultures and opening up characters is fascinating. Thank you for the review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Another memoir to my ever increasing tbr list. Good review!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

If the cover and title alone weren't enough to catch my attention immediately, your wonderful review convinced me that I will love this book. I'm adding it to my shelves! Thanks!
Berry :wine:
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Thanks for the well-written review! This sounds like a very engaging read. I hope the book gave more insight into Kavya's suicide though.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Nice review. I have read very few, if any, books set in India, so I will consider reading this one on the basis of this review. Thanks!
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

The book is like a piece of India. The scenes and characters seem very real and that is what makes it beautiful.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”