Official Review: Creative Intelligence is a part of inspi...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Creative Intelligence is a part of inspi...

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Creative Intelligence is a part of inspiration" by Karnati Kiran.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are many books that deal broadly with the subject of inspiration. Some study the concept while others directly attempt to offer inspiration to the readers. For authors, this leads to a new challenge. Not only does an exemplary book of this type need to deliver a well formed and effective message, but it also needs somehow to stand out from the crowd of similar works.

Creative Intelligence is a Part of Inspiration by Karnati Kiran initially appears to attempt this uniqueness by prominently displaying the name of the company run by Mr. Kiran (GKTecvision, Inc.). This suggests that the contents of the book will reflect either the guiding principles that enabled Mr. Kiran to find success or lessons he learned that he wishes to pass along to others. Unfortunately, Mr. Kiran never takes the opportunity to explain how the company is related to the content of the book. In his preface, he writes that most of the content is inspired by conversations with his wife.

The content of the book is highly informed by Mr. Kiran’s Indian culture. In fact, he dedicates whole sections to creation stories, temple structure, and thoughts on India. For those interested in pursuing these subjects, this may be an interesting look at one man’s impressions. For those looking either to be inspired or to understand inspiration, though, these sections may feel irrelevant or off-topic. Another challenge related to the overwhelming focus on Indian culture is that some statements Mr. Kiran makes feel de-contextualized. In a section called “What Living Richly Means”, Mr. Kiran mentions “the articles of constitution”. Without any prior knowledge of the author’s culture, I have no idea what document (if any actual document, since the phrase is not capitalized) Mr. Kiran is referencing and therefore, no concept of what lesson I should learn.

The most challenging part of reading this book is certainly the editing. There are plenty of basic mistakes, such as inconsistent lists, missing commas, subject-verb disagreement, and typing errors. What is more confusing for the reader, though, is the word choice. The author chooses to use a highly sophisticated vocabulary, but the words don’t often make sense, as if he had paged through a thesaurus and crammed as many fancy words as possible into the book. Sometimes, the words are clearly wrong, as in “opportunistic” and “subjugated”, both found on page 15 of my copy. Granted, some mistakes are fairly common in spoken language, such as the phrase “negatively reinforcing” (page 23) instead of “not reinforcing”. Throughout most of the book, the attentive reader will try to wade through this miasma of advanced vocabulary and esoteric concepts in order to divine the message the author is trying to communicate. While some concepts will shine through, the author would have been better served to use less sophisticated language effectively rather than attempt to impress the reader and lose the ability to communicate well.

When the book opened with an inspirational poem, I had very high hopes. In that poem alone, there were so many interesting concepts brought to the fore, and I looked forward to the author’s explanation of how he found inspiration within. As the book continued, though, I found it increasingly difficult to understand the author’s message, and the book felt very disjointed due to the poor editing. I don’t feel that I can recommend this book because it is more likely to frustrate than inspire its readers. Saddened and disappointed, I rate Creative Intelligence is a Part of Inspiration by Karnati Kiran 1 out of 4 stars.

Creative Intelligence is a part of inspiration
View: on Bookshelves

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

What living richly means- probably the standard of living emphasized on the slum-dog-billionaire. The other is the articles of constitution may be something based on law, I think! After I read this review head-to-toe I found my self telling this is not for me, besides there seem to be a lot mistakes that made me consider it. Thanks for the detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I can feel your disappointment, L_Therese. Do you think there's a language issue here? I wonder if the book would have worked better in the author's first language. I hope, at the very least, that the title tied into something within the book. Thank you for this detailed review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oh wow! The title really doesn't seem to have much to do with the book. I'm sure I would be completely lost as I know nothing about the Indian culture. Plus the editing issues? Definitely not one for me. I applaud you for making it all the way through this one!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This sounds like two books in one. I would be completely disoriented by it. For this reason, I will unapologetically skip it.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Other issues aside, the grammatical errors can be a real pain. More so when sophisticated vocabularies are also involved. I will have to pass this one. Thank you for your patience on the book and nice review.
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

This sounds like a frustrating book to read-I’m not sure I even really understand what it’s about. Thank you for finishing it so you could write a review for the rest of us!
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Thanks for reviewing this book and letting us know which saves us a lot of time. I totally can understand your frustration. I'll skip this book.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

"the attentive reader will try to wade through this miasma of advanced vocabulary and esoteric concepts in order to divine the message the author is trying to communicate"

- This made me smile. I won't read the book because so many of these "inspiration" books are anything but. Still, I like your review:)
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

You are patient to have seen this one through to the end but I am keeping off. I thought the title looked interesting so why the 1 star... Question answered. It's deflating to see the author's aim go sideways. Nice review.
Prin_cess
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Prin_cess »

The book wasn't thought thorough. The content was difficult to understand because the words he used was unrelated to what he was trying to make a point. It was not a good book.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

The title sounds so promising...too bad it was such a terrible experience...

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”