Official Review: But My Brain Had Other Ideas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: But My Brain Had Other Ideas

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "But My Brain Had Other Ideas" by Deb Brandon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

But My brain Had Other Ideas: A Memoir of Recovery from Brain Injury is a touching and inspiring book written by Deb Brandon.

Just when she thought she was going home with hopeful anticipation that she would be reunited with her family after two painful surgeries to fix her cavernous angiomas, author Deb Brandon was scheduled for a third surgery.

Cavernous angiomas are defects in the smallest blood vessels in the brain and spinal cord. They may develop, grow and bleed. Bleeding may subject a patient to brain surgery or not, depending on the location of the angioma and the possible consequences. Candidates for brain surgery are considerably lucky compared to those who are not.

With thirty one chapters and with foreword by Connie Lee, president of Angioma Alliance, the book starts after Deb’s two brain surgeries and a week of intensive rehab. The story then proceeds to flash backs depicting the early manifestations of symptoms, including dizziness, problem with balance and tingling in the left arm, that lead to the author’s consulting a neurologist. The MRI shows bleeding which originates from cavernous angiomas.

The book, which basically features a life-threatening condition, also describes one courageous person’s fight for life (both personal and professional), independence, and sense of self after a life-changing medical ordeal. With gargantuan level of determination and perseverance, the author refuses to just give up on everything that is important to her. By knowing the nature of her condition, she is able to prepare for possible attacks of sensory overload and find immediate albeit temporary relief. By accepting her disability for what it really is, the author is able to live a more meaningful life with new appreciation for everything the world has to offer.

The book is an easy read with a touch of humor and, at some points, even sarcasm that lighten up an otherwise serious narrative. The author is able to portray in vivid details the pain, discomfort, fear, anger, hope, disappointment, joy and other emotions she felt in the roller coaster ride that her life has become. Every page gives the readers a jolt, a reminder of how beautiful a pain-free life is. The story makes the readers feel thankful for things they don’t know they are lucky to have like coordination and the ability to speak, and things they take for granted that the author cherishes like independence, family, friends, work and hobbies.

However, I had a little difficulty in following the timeline of events, when the author discussed something that happened pre-surgery and post-surgery probably because the story is not told in chronological order. Other readers, though, may not find it difficult at all.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is well written, informative, inspiring and encouraging. I recommend it to family and friends of brain injury survivors and to brain injury survivors themselves. This book will help family and friends understand what their patient is going through, will validate the patient’s feelings and will make him/her feel he/she is not alone.

But My Brain Had Other Ideas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Interesting! I am always fascinated to know more about the brain and its functions but I see that this book provides more on the experience that the person goes through these situations is always worth to take a closer look at. The emotional turmoil that one has to go through specially for the brain and the body to function after surgery takes time. Good book! Thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 03:53 Interesting! I am always fascinated to know more about the brain and its functions but I see that this book provides more on the experience that the person goes through these situations is always worth to take a closer look at. The emotional turmoil that one has to go through specially for the brain and the body to function after surgery takes time. Good book! Thanks for the review!
You're welcome and thank you for the comment. It's and informative and inspiring book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad the author is able to talk about such a serious condition. Plus the humor throughout shows a great strength. This sounds like a very encouraging read. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 08:18 I'm glad the author is able to talk about such a serious condition. Plus the humor throughout shows a great strength. This sounds like a very encouraging read. Thanks for the review.
So true. The author is one courageous and strong person. We will learn so much from her.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

This is a very interesting book. Hope I can find time to read this. Despite of disability the Author were able to find a meaningful life. She is an inspiration. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

This book, is very heart touching, and emotional, describing the ''adventure'' of narrator, and the long way he would have with his brain illness, and consecutive surgeries. Yes, if such an illness appear, then it makes us more sensible toward (human) pain, or it can make us stronger, to be able to face reality. We can then discover, as hero here, new ways of survival, and be determined to live, by developping all our interior strength, when it comes to face such problems of health! Thus, psychal strength is this case, and change of mentality even short term one, shows a way, here according to author on how to treat our ''tragedy''!.. Then develpment of thinking can be a good counterfoot, to what has happened to us.
The whole book, is a comparison of strength of science, but also human interior power, upon which one can be even stronger, reconciliate with his/her problem and go ahead! The book also teaches us to never quit!
I give in this case and for all above reasons, and described feelings in a successful way, 4 Stars out of 4.
Congratulations to author then!..
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Nice review. I really like your professional tone. I also enjoy that you mention the humor that sometimes shows up in this book. Brain issues are really scary to deal with, it is nice to know that the author takes a break to lighten the mood.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

BookHausJ wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 09:16 This is a very interesting book. Hope I can find time to read this. Despite of disability the Author were able to find a meaningful life. She is an inspiration. Thanks for the review!
Interesting, indeed, and really inspiring.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Katerina Katapodi wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 11:04 This book, is very heart touching, and emotional, describing the ''adventure'' of narrator, and the long way he would have with his brain illness, and consecutive surgeries. Yes, if such an illness appear, then it makes us more sensible toward (human) pain, or it can make us stronger, to be able to face reality. We can then discover, as hero here, new ways of survival, and be determined to live, by developping all our interior strength, when it comes to face such problems of health! Thus, psychal strength is this case, and change of mentality even short term one, shows a way, here according to author on how to treat our ''tragedy''!.. Then develpment of thinking can be a good counterfoot, to what has happened to us.
The whole book, is a comparison of strength of science, but also human interior power, upon which one can be even stronger, reconciliate with his/her problem and go ahead! The book also teaches us to never quit!
I give in this case and for all above reasons, and described feelings in a successful way, 4 Stars out of 4.
Congratulations to author then!..
Truly, this is one touching, inspiring, and encouraging book. Makes the readers realize that health, indeed, is wealth.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

CommMayo wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 16:25 Nice review. I really like your professional tone. I also enjoy that you mention the humor that sometimes shows up in this book. Brain issues are really scary to deal with, it is nice to know that the author takes a break to lighten the mood.
Thank you. The humor gives a lighthearted tone in an otherwise serious and scary circumstances.
Shawn Brutus
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shawn Brutus »

Amazing and interesting. I always wanted to know how the brain works. Very good
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Shawn Brutus wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 18:13 Amazing and interesting. I always wanted to know how the brain works. Very good
Yes, this really is an interesting story of one amazing woman :)
Virginia Reuben
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Bookshelf Size: 14
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Virginia Reuben »

Just by the view of comments am eagerly looking forward to reading this book been a new member!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Virginia Reuben wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 13:15 Just by the view of comments am eagerly looking forward to reading this book been a new member!
Thank you. Welcome to the forum.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”