Official Review: Surviving in an ever-changing Healthcare...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Surviving in an ever-changing Healthcare...

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Surviving in an ever-changing Healthcare Industry" by Donna Gault.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Surviving in an Ever-Changing Healthcare Industry by Donna Gault is a short non-fiction book about the many recent changes in healthcare told from the perspective of a longtime healthcare professional. At just under fifty pages, this book is a relatively short and easy read. This book focuses on how recent changes in the industry effect both patients and healthcare professionals, like doctors and nurses.

The author is a registered nurse with a wealth of experience in the industry. Her perspective and insight is appreciable, and she references credible sources throughout the book, like medical journals and articles, that add credibility to her narrative. The author focuses on her concerns about the industry, the influence of politics and federal regulations on the industry, technological advancements and changes, and the relationship between patients and physicians. Most importantly, the author stresses taking charge of one’s own medical care by taking an active role in understanding one’s treatment as well as how the industry works.

The biggest issue I had with this book is that the author offers a lot of fact and opinion but very little regarding actual ‘survival’ in this ‘ever-changing’ industry. The few important tips described to the reader felt rather mundane. For example, keeping a list of important medical diagnoses, medicines, procedures, allergies, etc. seemed rather commonplace to me. Otherwise, the majority of the book focused on opinion and further seemed to focus on the negative aspects of change and failed to incorporate some of the positive.

A significant portion of the short narrative is given to one family physician’s opinion of the change in the industry. Although somewhat interesting, I couldn’t help but feel that this one account was rather biased and not necessarily reflective of the industry as a whole. The narrative would have been easier to digest if the author stuck to hard facts or included the opinions of multiple sources to ensure the opinions conveyed were all encompassing.

The title of this book suggests it provides important tips and sage advice for ensuring one can understand the changing healthcare industry and, ultimately, receive the best care available. Unfortunately, after reading this book, I don’t feel as though I have significantly more knowledge about the subject or am aware of changes to implement and steps to take to really take charge of my medical care. Additionally, at times the book is more opinion based than factual. For those reasons, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. If more concrete tips and advice were provided, I would have considered a higher rating. There is some interesting information about how seasoned health professionals view some recent changes to the industry, so readers interested in healthcare may find this book insightful.

Surviving in an ever-changing Healthcare Industry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Thanks to your wonderful, focused and unbiased review of a mediocre book, I think I'll pass. As an average person who does get sick every once in a while, I am very much in tune with what is going around in the healthcare field (maybe more so than many doctors, and I'm not kidding here). The industry is changing, no doubt about it. The FDA is more and more restrictive on one hand, and doctors are way out to touch with what is going on in their own world. Often patients know more about their illness than their own doctors, which is not how it should actually be. But I digress...
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

kislany wrote:Thanks to your wonderful, focused and unbiased review of a mediocre book, I think I'll pass. As an average person who does get sick every once in a while, I am very much in tune with what is going around in the healthcare field (maybe more so than many doctors, and I'm not kidding here). The industry is changing, no doubt about it. The FDA is more and more restrictive on one hand, and doctors are way out to touch with what is going on in their own world. Often patients know more about their illness than their own doctors, which is not how it should actually be. But I digress...
I completely agree with all of your points! The industry has undergone some drastic changes. But this book would have been more successful if thorough advice were provided about how to go about navigating this “new” industry.
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen

Post by mumoscar »

Thanks for your insightful review. The author has done good work compiling these facts. Too bad that it sounds biased and full of opinions rather than survival guidelines.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad there wasn't really a lot of great advice in this one. This is a subject that we definitely COULD use information about. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Starving Author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starving-author.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Starving Author »

Interesting review! I know that this is a book that I need to read.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Too bad the book doesn't provide any useful tips.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

What a shame. I think that in this day and age, a book that offers valid, usable tips on how to receive the best healthcare is just what we need and it seems this book promises it, but doesn't deliver.

I'm currently on Medicaid, but I'm also aware I may not always be eligible or the program may not always be around, so I'll need a source to help me navigate things I'll need to know. Obviously, this won't be it.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

Being a medical student, it would be nice to read this book for some extra perspective. But does the book encompass the systems as a whole in terms of methodology or are there information related to certain countries only?
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Carolynd1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carolynd1 »

I am a healthcare worker and would like to comment on D. Gault’s book. Surviving in an Everchanging Healthcare System
The author recognizes problems in the system and provides ways to keep yourself safer For example
Being aware of medication you have been subscribed and the reason your primary doctor has ordered it for you. In the day of Hospitalist, patients and their caregivers should take a more active role in their healthcare and not be intimidated by the system.
I believe this is a very relevant book and would be appropriate for the targeted audience of the elderly and uninformed
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

How sad it is such a good book just based on opinion than factual. What the readers need is an information which was backed up by a documentary evidence. I might read this book just for additional info. But still it's my responsibility to solidify this info. Thank you for the nice review!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”