Official Review: God Versus The Idea of God

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Official Review: God Versus The Idea of God

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God Versus The Idea of God" by Thomas Richard Harry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We agree on nothing in this world, especially on religious matters. The writer, through first-person narration, directs us to hold the position of agnostics (people who believe that nothing is known or can be known of the existence/nature of God or of anything beyond physical phenomena) i.e., put aside all inclinations we might be harboring for a spell as we delve into this book. He warns that due to the expanding and accumulating knowledge,
Science has begun to cast doubt on biblical ‘truths’,
and the Church needs to pause and think about what it is preaching today.

God Versus the Idea of God: Divinity is what we think, Faith is what we Experience by Thomas Richard Harry is a religious non-fiction book published by Balboa press on September 2017. It is just 200 Standard Pages long and talks about issues such as the Jesus phenomenon, the purpose of God, the church’s continuing role for man’s non-material needs, and,
Does Jesus equal God?
Through the aforementioned issues, Thomas tackles the central question and conundrum in the book, God versus the idea of God. He says that the idea of God is to cater for the yearning of mankind. The objective abstract notion of God is subjective to humans. He clarifies this by asking,
How can the imperfect comprehend the perfect?
He is careful not to lean so much on one side of the argument. He uses the saying,
I believe so as to understand,
to declare that he does not have the faith to blindly believe the,
Prepositions underlying the Western Christian God argument (virgin birth, incarnation, transfiguration, transubstantiation, bodily resurrection, the efficacy [efficiency] of prayer, the…basic pillars of the faith…
God, to Thomas,
Is a divinity considered the Supreme Being, the Creator, and Ruler of the universe;
something man is unable to imagine. He does not mean a deified object or person.
Such Supreme Beings have historically assumed various forms, expressions, or characteristics for various people in various cultures…every culture develops its own God.
What does that mean for the cultures that hold Jesus as God? The plot thickens and it would take a lot of space to expound on that. You would have to get the book for that and more.

He asks hard and very interesting questions that many of us have asked ourselves from within,
If we were made in God’s image, how could we be bad? I know, yes, “evil” entered the world… From where? How?
He presents interesting notions I personally and increasingly see developing with the boom of knowledge.

The writer, like me, mostly employs the use of compound sentences which holds more poignancy in the book. He made interesting and strong suggestions that ought to be seriously considered. He says that people have begun and will continue to lose credulity (willingness to believe in someone or something in the absence of real proof) under the current and future expectations.

He says some controversial things that many would strongly argue against. Many would even say he is misrepresenting and misinterpreting the Word of God and conclude that he lacks in-depth knowledge of the Bible.I personally have doubts about what is being preached out there but I also found myself having some doubts about what Thomas was presenting, but as he alludes, maybe tomorrow we might think differently. The book was well edited apart from some minor issues. I gave the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars and would strongly recommend it to both religious and non-religious people.

God Versus The Idea of God
View: on Bookshelves

Like geoffrey ngoima's review? Post a comment saying so!
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

In my personal quest in self discovery I contemplated the title of this review a lot. Mostly driven by old almanacs from a past relative. I wish to engage further in this from reading this book. Great review.
geoffrey ngoima

juliusotinyo wrote:In my personal quest in self discovery I contemplated the title of this review a lot. Mostly driven by old almanacs from a past relative. I wish to engage further in this from reading this book. Great review.
Okay, pls do. And I've learnt a new word (almanac) today, thank you!
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

You sure? I've read a number of your​ reviews, your use of vocabulary is way above my own!
geoffrey ngoima

juliusotinyo wrote:You sure? I've read a number of your​ reviews, your use of vocabulary is way above my own!
I'd say the same here, ...we probably underestimate... (though the editor score system here sucks majorly if you ask me)
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:
juliusotinyo wrote:You sure? I've read a number of your​ reviews, your use of vocabulary is way above my own!
I'd say the same here, ...we probably underestimate... (though the editor score system here sucks majorly if you ask me)
Yeah, blows... I have this personal style that sells elsewhere except with some adjudicators here ?

I guess taking criticism is not borne overnight. Steep learning curve for me, I'd say. Great work though, I try and measure up sometimes :tiphat:
geoffrey ngoima

juliusotinyo wrote:
geoffrey ngoima wrote:
Yeah, blows... I have this personal style that sells elsewhere except with some adjudicators here ?

I guess taking criticism is not borne overnight. Steep learning curve for me, I'd say. Great work though, I try and measure up sometimes :tiphat:
It's true, ukienda kwa wenyewe unakaa venye wanataka, there's nothing much you can do :tiphat:
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Geoffrey Ngoima! So this is the book you had technical problems with. I picked it before you did (the download didn't work, as you also know), but Scott put me out of my misery by canceling it. I got another book but have yet to submit my review. I hope you look out for it; I think Divine Providence intervened.

You always get to pick books that challenge religious beliefs. I do not know if I have the courage to wade through those.

Insightful review!

P.S. Grammar is a turbulent sea; even the experts contradict each other.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm unsure about this book. I'll look into it further, but I'm not sure it's for me. Good review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima

Miriam Molina wrote:Hi, Geoffrey Ngoima! So this is the book you had technical problems with. I picked it before you did (the download didn't work, as you also know), but Scott put me out of my misery by canceling it. I got another book but have yet to submit my review. I hope you look out for it; I think Divine Providence intervened.

You always get to pick books that challenge religious beliefs. I do not know if I have the courage to wade through those.

Insightful review!

P.S. Grammar is a turbulent sea; even the experts contradict each other.
@Miriam,... Hi! Haha, yeah, grammar, right? You haven't heard my mind about that yet, but God's so great even with me 1 level down. I get that they get so heaVy, it's like you're battling something within yourself...
No, this wasn't that book, actually, I did a review (unpublished) then this one, (a lot of time on me hands) ... It had an issue?? Wow, maybe God wanted mE to review it/divine providence! Or not. I must have gotten to it aFter a workable format was brought forth.
Thank you!

@kandscreeley... It's really sth, ... Thank you.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I'm not sure how I feel about this book, it might not be for more. I did enjoy your review (I always do). I've noticed that your reviews are often on religions and sometimes controversial topics. I don't think I could tackle them as smoothly as you do. Kudos.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

This one sounds very intriguing! Lots to think about. Thanks for a great analysis :)
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
geoffrey ngoima

kislany wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about this book, it might not be for more. I did enjoy your review (I always do). I've noticed that your reviews are often on religions and sometimes controversial topics. I don't think I could tackle them as smoothly as you do. Kudos.
Yeah, they tend to inspire sweat on my armpits... thank you, ...

-- 01 Oct 2017, 07:52 --
Reuben 92 wrote:This one sounds very intriguing! Lots to think about. Thanks for a great analysis :)
Thanks, & you're welcome
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

I always like your review, Geoff, this one you've nicely summarized. I agree religion is a touchy matter, I'll think about this one, it looks neat.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

I love your review though i don't think i would read the book because i don't question religion. It is nice to know that the author is lenient in his arguments. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”