Official Review: Tears That Changed a Nation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Tears That Changed a Nation

Post by barb429 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Charles L. Tucker’s Tears That Changed a Nation is a nonfiction book about Arminta (Minty) O’Banion, a former slave who lived to be 111 years old. Minty was born into slavery in 1788. Throughout her long life she came into contact with many well known figures in history. She knew the George Washington Family, was a nanny to Ulysses S. Grant, and worked for Harriet Beecher Stowe’s father.

Minty was one of the few slaves who was freed before the Civil War. Although she and her husband were given their freedom in 1816, they were forced to leave their children behind in slavery. Even after earning their freedom, their lives were not easy. The children that were born into freedom would not be able to earn a public education, it was difficult to find work, and they were still treated poorly by many.

Although Tears that Changed a Nation focuses on Minty’s life, it also gives information about the history, politics, and general sentiment toward slavery during the time period. It is interesting to read how attitudes towards slavery changed over time. This book covers not only what is known about Minty’s life, but also other information about the time period. I really enjoyed the appendix, which included information on each of the US presidents of Minty’s lifetime and what their views were on slavery. It was particularly interesting to see which presidents said that they were against slavery, yet did nothing to end it.

I really enjoyed reading this book, and seeing the time period through Minty’s eyes. Much of Tucker’s information came from old newspaper articles, journal entries, church documents, and other historical artifacts. Whenever facts were not available about certain aspects of Minty’s life, the author includes other information from the time period. For example, Tucker includes the popular games that Minty may have played as a child, or lyrics to songs she may have heard.

Although I did enjoy the book, I did find a few errors in the text. Wikipedia is cited in one section and spelled Wikepedia. There are also a couple of places with incomplete parenthesis. Other than these few errors, I felt as though the book was well researched, easy to read, and included many fascinating facts.
I give Tears that Changed a Nation three out of four stars. If you enjoy non-fiction books about the 1800’s, especially the Civil War era, then this book would be a great addition to your reading list. Other than the few errors, it was an excellent book.

Tears That Changed a Nation
View: on Bookshelves

Like barb429's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

Nice review.
I really love historical stories. From your review I think this will be a very nice read.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

The book sounds awesome; thank you for your review. I am hoping to read it and am also hoping that at least some of the book is based on comments or quotes directly from Minty.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds informative. The view from the eyes of a slave. I can only imagine what that was like. Thanks fur a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Former slave ends up as Grant's nanny who lived to be 111? I can only imagine the breadth of experiences she lives. Thanks for the review.
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Good job, such a nice ride into history.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Abdiwali Tahlil
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abdiwali Tahlil »

The selectivity and the brief introduction of minty was an excellent book. Iam very happy to read and review this book later on.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

I am not really a fan of sad historical stories though this one seems like a good book.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I love to hear true stories from the Civil War period. This sounds like an interesting and informative book.
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

I adore historical stories. I often find myself watching the history channel. Not out of boredom but because I find history truky fascinating. From your review, I think this will be a wonderful boom to read
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This is one of my favorite research topics and so the book sounds quite interesting. The errors sound like they would be easy enough to overlook and the writing carries them. I would be a little concerned about using the book as a resource, as Wikipedia is not generally considered a very scholarly acceptable citation source, but if it is only for my personal enjoyment, well then, why not?

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”