Official Review: We live in Social Space by Fred Emil Katz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: We live in Social Space by Fred Emil Katz

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "We live in Social Space" by Fred Emil Katz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How is it possible for human beings to destroy each other? A common theme in literature is man’s inhumanity to man, as many writers across centuries and cultures depict and explore human suffering and cruelty. Writer Fred Emil Katz used his mind and talent to travel in a different direction. A Holocaust survivor, Mr. Katz thought about environments that have allowed or fostered cruelty and attempted to apply nearly-scientific constructs to them in order to explore and explain how it is that people can be so callous and cruel. The result was his non-fiction book, We Live in Social Space.

In We Live in Social Space, Mr. Katz lays out four constructs that depict different aspects of society. The author terms each of these constructions “spaces”. He posits the existence of “Hidden Space”, “Closed Space”, “Transcendent Space”, and “Meaningful Space”. Through these paradigms, Mr. Katz explores societal phenomena such as the sudden resurgence of the taboo, the temporary re-engineering of morality within a certain context, the potential impact of a messianic figure, and the many possible nuances of an action or decision.

Mr. Katz is primarily focused on the Holocaust and the cultural context that allowed it to happen, but since he is attempting to merge some scientific thinking into his theory-building, he does not restrict his social space theories to that era alone. Throughout the book, Mr. Katz draws on other phenomena, from incidents and attitudes emerging from the 2016 United States presidential election to atrocities perpetrated during the Vietnam War to the actions of ISIS terrorist groups. Mr. Katz is able to point out certain similarities in circumstances and events that illustrate and support his theory.

For some readers, this book may seem intimidating. Maybe you’ve never studied philosophy or sociology before, or maybe the book sounds a bit dry. Although this is certainly a serious and sober book, it is also well organized and fairly brief. Readers will find a clear layout with no mechanical errors. There is occasional repetition of some of the examples, but this is deliberate, acknowledged by the author, and done to illustrate a unique point. The author also includes concluding remarks that help the reader keep straight the four social spaces and their implications as well as how they relate to one another. As with any scholarly work of quality, interested readers will also find a section of notes at the end that include a number of citations that influenced Mr. Katz’s work.

Mr. Katz has written four books related to his experience as a Holocaust survivor, and although this one is the fourth in that group, it stands alone. I am pleased to be able to rate We Live in Social Space by Fred Emil Katz 4 out of 4 stars. The book is scholarly, innovative, and understandable. Further, its themes and information are relevant to a vital question in human existence: how are we able to execute such inhumanity, and by extension, how can we stop this from happening again?

We live in Social Space
View: on Bookshelves

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

Thanks for the great review,such great book.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does seem a little overwhelming, but it seems like there is a lot of good information in it. It looks like something worth delving into. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I studied philosophy in college, but it was so long time ago...I hope the book is not all too overwhelming. Nice review.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

What a good review, _L! The more I think I'm done with non-fiction, the more reviewers like you come forth to change my mind. This does indeed sound like an illuminating work. I honestly don't know if I will read it. But I do know I should.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Ynahreyes
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Ynahreyes »

illumanate the person who you are. nice review
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

I really enjoyed this review, and I also think the book would be of interest to me. I like that it is scholarly and serious without being too dry and inaccessible. The theme of different "spaces" sounds intriguing. Thanks for sharing!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Sounds like an excellent scholarly book on the philosophical question of why humans commit atrocities against each other. Quite interesting and intelligent!

Thanks for the good review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

I am awed by your review, L_Therese, the book sounds perfect.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Sounds like quite the book, one of the best reviews I've read here and that's saying a lot.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

Brilliant review. loved it! Thank you very much.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
hepto
Currently Reading: Hiramic Brotherhood: Ezekiel's Temple Prophesy
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by hepto »

The book examines four attributes of that Social Space. They give new illumination to many facets of our life—from our sexuality to willingness to believe in false messiahs, from stage fright among even the most accomplished performers to our enjoyment of opera.I find it enjoyable.
kennywealth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kennywealth »

The review was a holistic evaluation of the book titled: We live in Social Space. It was expatiative and explanatory. The book author, Mr Fred Emil Katz really delved elaborately into one of the mysterious behaviours of humans.
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

I loved it. It is an inspiring book. I would name it behavioural science. Thanks for the review.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I generally avoid books involving so much cruelty. Though the book is not for me, thanks for sharing your views.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”