Official Review: His Name is Ralph by Elise Tanory

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: His Name is Ralph by Elise Tanory

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "His Name is Ralph" by Elise Tanory.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the age of twenty-two, Elise isn’t too worried when she receives word that her father, Ralph Humphries, has been in a car accident. Elise figures he must have only had a “fender bender.” However, she soon learns that her father’s accident was actually the result of a debilitating stroke. Elise is determined to see that her father gets the proper treatment for recovery, but she’s in for a long, grueling fight with the nation’s health care system. Her experience is chronicled in her memoir, His Name is Ralph.

In this rather simple but passionate narrative, author Elise Tanory explains the medical, financial, and sometimes legal struggle she tackles on behalf of her father. Emotion and spirit resonates in her writing style. Even the memoir’s chapters have ironic or poignant titles that effectively convey the author’s tone, such as “Welcome to Paralysis” and “Open Your Eyes, Daddy; It’s Me.”

Yet, even in light of the health care battle the author faces with her father, he isn’t merely portrayed as a “patient who had a stroke.” His daughter takes time to paint a full picture of him as a man, with strengths, weaknesses, personality, and a reputation. The author also describes her familial upbringing and the adversity she deals with in the years preceding her father’s health crisis. Not only does this memoir serve as a personal account, but it gives commentary on a system affecting millions of Americans, and it also contains advice for the loved ones of stroke victims.

In addition to her father’s ordeal, the author relates her experiences at her various jobs, on her volunteering missions, and in her social life. I could see the correlation between her studies in pharmacology, her work with disabled children, and the trials she goes through with her father. However, I didn’t see how some of her other information has direct relevance to the memoir’s message, such as the accounts about a few of her past romantic relationships. The author does make a point of mentioning the memoir’s different threads in the end. Still, a couple of those threads could have been explained a bit more to show specifically how they tie together.

In her story, the author is intentional about switching back and forth between later and more recent events. However, there are some places where the timeline of events becomes somewhat unclear. There’s also some incorrect tense usage, dialogue between speakers that should have been split into separate paragraphs, and a number of minor punctuation errors throughout the book.

Nevertheless, despite its flaws, this is a raw, heartfelt, human story of devastation, determination, and love—a story that can open many eyes. Therefore, I give His Name is Ralph a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend it to readers who can handle memoirs with mature content, particularly those with an interest or concerns regarding the health care system in the United States.

His Name is Ralph
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like an inspiring story. Dealing with the healthcare system can oftentimes be a nightmare! Thanks for a lovely review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Seems an intense book. Thanks for the nice review.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

The Researcher wrote:Seems an intense book. Thanks for the nice review.
You're welcome! Yes, it is a pretty intense read, but it's not that long, so that made it easier on my upbeat system. :)
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Waw, what a struggle, just reading would be an emotional struggle, I have to read it,...
Great review!
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

This sounds like a book that can open people's eyes about the healthcare system in America.
Thanks for the nice review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Taking care of a paralyzed father... It's unfortunate when the healthcare system let's you down.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

Thanks for your review.
I find it so interesting that the book seems to be very gripping because of the memoirs of the author and it gives interesting information about the healthcare system in the United States. I am not from the USA neither do I live there but I think it's a very interesting topic.
I think I would definitely agree with you about stories that did not add much to the main theme of the book, such as past romantic relationships, they do nothing but distract me.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

walkingfreckle wrote:Thanks for your review.
I am not from the USA neither do I live there but I think it's a very interesting topic.
You're welcome, and thanks for checking out the review! It makes me doubly glad that I remembered to specify the country, instead of just saying, "The nation's health care system." :) I may never be an expert, but I am starting to learn a little more how different countries deal with health care.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thanks for a great review. The book is an excellent description of a daughter's love for the dad. The agony she goes through is heartfelt.
bsena
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by bsena »

I have always been fancinated by American doctors and their medics.
This is quite the book for to read.
DeboraSilva
Currently Reading: The Ask and the Answer
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborasilva.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by DeboraSilva »

It looks like an eye opener. it's great to see books that deal with topics that need more attention. There are certain countries where the health system could use some serious changes. It seems the author did a good job in portraying characters that feel real, human. Thank you for the great review.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Despites the issues you mentioned, the book sounds very interesting. The problems with the U.S. health care system is certainly a timely topic.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

Excellent review. This is a sad story and eye opener for every body. I give it 4 out of 4.
Ubheeram Nina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Ubheeram Nina »

Wow a great story indeed unlike its title. But the story is really ? touching. I would definitely want to know how the health care system work in America since am not a resident there. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”