Official Review: When The Woman Abused Was You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: When The Woman Abused Was You

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When The Woman Abused Was You" by Dawn Scott Damon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When the Woman Abused Was You: A Guide to Healing from Childhood Sexual Abuse by author Pastor Dawn Scott Damon is a must read. Thank God not all of us have had our childhood heinously ravished from us. However, I believe it is imperative that everyone should equip themselves to empathize with out hurt brothers and sisters. Also, many of the healing tools and advice that Damon shares in this book can be applied by persons who are struggling with symptoms of any type of abuse or addiction.

This guide is neatly organized into four main parts. The first part is comprised of five chapters whereas the rest only include three chapters each. All the chapters begin with a relevant quote. One of them was a quote by my favorite author, C.S Lewis. Many inspirational quotes are sprinkled throughout the book, but unfortunately, it is not always possible to identify the person being quoted. For example, there are quotes attributed to Deloris. I am not provided with any other information about Deloris. Overall, the formatting of this book made it simple to follow Damon’s writing and find where you left off reading in your previous reading session. The subject matter is such that while this book is not lengthy, one should not read it in one sitting.The following four paragraphs briefly discuss key points in the four parts of the book.

'Part 1: Defining The Trauma' focuses on exploring the painful events of the abused person’s story. Damon, having been abused herself by her dad when she was young, shares her testimony. She encourages the reader to not let the past determine his/her future; There are a number of exercises that motivate us to not be swallowed by shame and other self-defeating thoughts and attitudes.

'Part 2: Demystifying The Problems' is all about examining the difficult aftermath of the trauma. In this section, we are made to see that someone who has been abused is very likely to have many physical, emotional and mental issues. This is not surprising. However, the abused may not realize that his/her ailments in life are due to Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Damon differentiates between effective coping skills (good nutrition, reading, and learning, prayer, etc.) and destructive coping skills that serve only to mask the pain (binge eating, ignoring problems, excessive sleep, etc.). I was really impressed by how dealing with the fear of intimacy was addressed in this section.

'Part 3: Discerning The Truth' is purposed to help abused persons let go of a victim mentality. The author is a pastor of a Christian congregation so she preaches to us of the Truth that sets us free – Jesus Christ. Damon does not shy away from answering difficult questions such as, ‘Where was God?’ and ‘Why does God allow evil?’. As a Christian, I found her answers very biblically sound. Actually, the entire book is laced with biblical truths.

'Part 4: Dancing in Triumph' asks the abused to forgive themselves, others and God. It lets us know that it is okay to grieve for what we have lost. We are also reminded to hold on to our faith in God and decide to live a life with a victorious mindset.

Damon’s writing deeply impacted me. Some of the stories shared moved me to tears. There were a few instances where her narration seemed a little mechanical but it was obvious that she poured herself into this book. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. In summary, I reiterate my proclamation that this book is a must read!

When The Woman Abused Was You
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This book sounds absolutely amazing. Especially because there are so many women who has encountered sexual abuse in their lives. This is definitely a must read.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

Great review! Great book! It's a shame to hear about sexual abuse. However, it seems like this book is really useful in helping people get over their trauma.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Once again, this is a powerful topic that happens all too often. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

It breaks my heart that such bad things happen to our young innocent people just beginning their lives, but like you said thank God for this book and the same like this out there, this book looks simple enough and helpful, I hope it will also deeply impact victims out there. Great review btw
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

This book is a rare find seeing that there are so many wounded children growing with unhealed emotional wounds into adulthood. I would truly want to circulate copies of it around to help heal many.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Since I know someone who was sexually abused, I know just what a terrifying experience that can be. And it's so true, there is always a case of PTSD afterwards, often lingering for years. For some women the hurt, shame, anxiety, and diminished quality of life never goes away. It is an all too powerful and painful topic for so many. I enjoyed your review.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Great review. I always like and appreciate self help books. There are just people who would wish to find help and don't know where to start. With such knowledge you become their strength, till they can find theirs. Thanks.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

That sounds like a must-read book, thanks for the review.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks everyone who has read and or replied to my review. I am grateful that most of you feel the same way I do about the topic.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like an important read for women who experienced the same. Well done to the author for sharing her own abuse experience. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Great review! It was very thorough and helpful! This sounds like a book we can all benefit from reading, regardless if we, ourselves, have been through a similar ordeal or not because it can help us in our daily interactions with others. Being a teacher, it could also help me understand some of my students in a different light. Thank you, again. :-)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It's amazing when people take their tragic in their lives, but is able to get their lives back to 'normal' and then offer their experience as a guidance to others. I really am appreciative of that. It seems like this book is very well organized and can be beneficial for those who have been sexually abused. Thank you for the insightful review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gc3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 324

Post by gc3 »

Great review for a very serious but also very important topic. It is sad to learn about traumatic experiences of innocent kids, but it is also helpful so that everyone can understand these situations better. I think self-help books like this are necessary in today's problematic world.
Cátia Rato
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catiarato.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Post by Cátia Rato »

I truly think that books with real stories need to be shared and read by all. That's how you know the world, the people, the facts. By reading, first hand what happened to them. And it makes you much more human, much more grateful. I'll make sure to read this one. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”