Official Review: Our Two Societies by Andre Davis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Our Two Societies by Andre Davis

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Two Societies" by Andre Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Racism is real but WE are all stronger than racism.” – Andre Davis

Andre Davis was born in Detroit, Michigan in the early 1970s. Our Two Societies is his story. In this autobiography, he tackles the ever-present topic of racism. While doing so, he discusses the importance of acquiring the skills needed in a free market society. It is within this free market society that Andre Davis believes America’s greatness lies. Andre Davis was prompted to write this autobiography after developing concerns about the future of America’s workforce. In his own words, “America is still the land of opportunity for opportunist[s].”

Our Two Societies not only celebrates the possibilities provided by a free market society, it also warns of the pitfalls of a second society. The author invites us to journey with him as he encounters these two societies and how they influence American life. During our journey, we glimpse through the eyes of a young Andre Davis, 1970s life in the projects of Detroit. The 1980s bring to us our author’s teenage years in a middle-class neighborhood of Detroit. Andre Davis takes us considerably further in the 1990s. Here, the reader experiences life in Japan through the eyes of a college-aged Afro-American.

Before we begin our adventure in the Brewster Projects, Andre Davis describes for us a brief encounter he had with four police officers while he was studying outdoors for the Oregon Bar Exam. Apparently, the officers received report of a suspicious person in the neighborhood. Of course, Andre Davis was not doing anything suspicious. However, the call had still been made. Later in this introduction, the author brings up a discussion on Affirmative Action his class was having one day. Without going into too much of the discussion, I want to note that it is during this class that Andre asks his professor, “Why do I have to separate myself from black people to be considered successful?” Years after law school, this question still plagued our author. He began to realize that it was not his professor who needed to answer this question. It was he who needed to answer it. Our Two Societies is trying to do just that.

This book is emotional and gripping. There were occasions when I was near tears. Can you imagine being treated better in a foreign country than in your own homeland? As a minority, I am no stranger to racism, but I cannot pretend to know what our author was going through while growing up. I can only empathize, open my eyes and heart, and keep raising my children as loving and open-minded people.

The publication of this book is definitely timely. The reader is given insight into the racial and social inequalities of today’s America. Although the subject can often be complex, this book is highly approachable. I had difficulty even putting it down.

The only issue I had with this book was the lack of editing. There were many errors such as the use of the term Klu Klux Klan instead of Ku Klux Klan and the appearance of random quotation marks in several places throughout the text. Because of the sheer number of errors, I feel it necessary to assign a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. However, I also feel it is truly important to mention that the content of this book is worthy of a 4 star rating. I sincerely hope the author publishes a revised edition in the near future. Even if he does not, however, his ideas will still shine through regardless of any mistakes in his writing.

As far as my recommendations go, I simply think everyone should read this book. Normally, I do not make such blanket recommendations. However, that is the impact this book has had on me. I think you should read it. After that, I think you should loan the book to family and friends.

Our Two Societies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This is a great and insightful read. Especially in light of what's going on in our world today.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a book that's very appropriate for what's happening in the world today. Thanks for a great review and the wonderful recommendation.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Amagine wrote:This is a great and insightful read. Especially in light of what's going on in our world today.

Great Review! ?
Thank you. It is definitely an issue prevalent in today's society.

-- 01 Sep 2017, 08:46 --
kandscreeley wrote:Sounds like a book that's very appropriate for what's happening in the world today. Thanks for a great review and the wonderful recommendation.
I agree, it's definitely an appropriate read in today's day and age. The author truly captured my attention and kept it for the entire duration of his story. Thank you for your thoughts.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Well, your review almost made me cry and I haven't picked up the book yet :cry:
Great review and on my bookshelf it goes
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:Well, your review almost made me cry and I haven't picked up the book yet :cry:
Great review and on my bookshelf it goes
Thank you for your kind words. I hope you enjoy the book.
morde
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morde.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by morde »

The recommendation part may not apply to me, albeit its a good review.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

Nice review. This book appeals to me, a good read I hope
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

morde wrote:The recommendation part may not apply to me, albeit its a good review.
Thank you for taking time to read and comment!

-- 02 Sep 2017, 11:31 --
Alicnim wrote:Nice review. This book appeals to me, a good read I hope
Thank you! I hope you enjoy the book if you you get a chance to read it!
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Seems like quite an emotionally gripping story. The world has only gotten darker of recent, it's good that the author got his chance to expresshis views and experiences. I hope i can get a chance to read it...
Thank you for your great review. I'm glad your hardships have helped you raise your children soundly. Truly inspirational. :)
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Excitedreads wrote:Seems like quite an emotionally gripping story. The world has only gotten darker of recent, it's good that the author got his chance to expresshis views and experiences. I hope i can get a chance to read it...
Thank you for your great review. I'm glad your hardships have helped you raise your children soundly. Truly inspirational. :)
Thanks so much for your thoughts! It was definitely an emotionally gripping read for me. I hope you enjoy the book if you get the chance.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Christina Rose wrote:
Excitedreads wrote:Seems like quite an emotionally gripping story. The world has only gotten darker of recent, it's good that the author got his chance to expresshis views and experiences. I hope i can get a chance to read it...
Thanks so much for your thoughts! It was definitely an emotionally gripping read for me. I hope you enjoy the book if you get the chance.
You're most welcome! Racism is such a sore topic and it is ever present. I hope i can get to see how Andre handled it.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Excitedreads wrote:
Christina Rose wrote:
You're most welcome! Racism is such a sore topic and it is ever present. I hope i can get to see how Andre handled it.
You are very much correct, unfortunately.
I truly enjoyed reading about his journey. Although he discusses such a touchy and sensitive issue, he does so in a way that makes you want to keep reading.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

It's always a bummer when a great book has to be bumped down a star for grammatical errors. But alas, it happens, and despite that, it still sounds like a book I'd enjoy reading. It sounds like a heart-wrenching novel, and I'm always down to have my heart-wrenched by a great book. Thank you for the wonderful review and giving me another book to add to my list!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Mallory Whitaker wrote:It's always a bummer when a great book has to be bumped down a star for grammatical errors. But alas, it happens, and despite that, it still sounds like a book I'd enjoy reading. It sounds like a heart-wrenching novel, and I'm always down to have my heart-wrenched by a great book. Thank you for the wonderful review and giving me another book to add to my list!
Yes, I really didn't want to bump it down :|
It's a heart-wrenching novel indeed, and I hope you get around to reading it soon. I know what it's like to have a list of books you want to read!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”