Official Review: Newcomers' Accomplishments II

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Official Review: Newcomers' Accomplishments II

Post by raikyuu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Newcomers' Accomplishments II" by A. Robert Neurath, PhD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Newcomers' Accomplishments II is a non-fiction book that portrays the successful lives of Holocaust survivors emigrated from present-day Slovakia after 1953. The author, A. Robert Neurath, Ph.D., makes a point to remember the lives of the survivors by celebrating their professional achievements instead of pitying them. The author makes use of comprehensive research to provide us with a book full of empowering biographies.

The book starts off with a brief history of Slovakia after the Holocaust. The author talks about an ethnic cleansing that took place between 1945 to 1950, driving out about 200,000 people and ending about 30,000 lives. After that, the book proceeds with biographies of survivors who excelled professionally in literature, science, arts, and business. Images of the survivors, as well as their works, are shown in the book.

The author intends to make the book celebratory through the survivors’ achievements. This is observed in the book cover, wherein the survivors who emigrated to other countries are still a part of a progressing world even with their traumatic past. The biographies are short, but enough to illustrate the joys, the struggles, and the successes of each survivor.

By taking a closer look, the biographies are standard. Most of them follow a format that starts with the survivor’s experience during the Holocaust or the Slovak National Uprising. This follows up with the survivor’s education, usually after emigration. Afterward, the book talks about the survivor’s works and how they became famous. This common format, I believe, is an effective way to show the lives of more than a hundred people in the book. The format is easy to read, and it follows a familiar narrative of struggle to success, a narrative that is fitting in this book. The format may seem repetitive, but this is hardly a problem if the reader is presented with the unique lives of more than a hundred people.

What I like most about the book is that it understands how narratives can shape people’s reality. What’s better is that the book applies this narrative to give us an empowering account of the lives of people, especially the Holocaust survivors. Overall, Newcomers' Accomplishments II is a worthy read full of life mixed with comprehensive research. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I can recommend this book to anyone, especially to people in the Jewish community who still feel traumatized from their past. Out of all the non-fiction books that I encountered, this book is one of the few who knows the true value of good storytelling.

Newcomers' Accomplishments II
View: on Bookshelves

Like raikyuu's review? Post a comment saying so!
-rk
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can't even imagine the atrocities of the Holocaust. I'm glad to see a book like this that celebrates the survivors. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

kandscreeley wrote:I can't even imagine the atrocities of the Holocaust. I'm glad to see a book like this that celebrates the survivors. Thanks for a great review.
Thank you, kandscreeley. I like the author's idea of celebrating the survivors, instead of pitying them.
-rk
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

The survivors of holocaust need a book which reflects on their achievements after survival. I think this book does the job beautifully. Thanks for sharing your views.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

The Researcher wrote:The survivors of holocaust need a book which reflects on their achievements after survival. I think this book does the job beautifully. Thanks for sharing your views.
Thank you, the researcher. This book can also be for others who wish to explore different points of view.
-rk
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

I'd of never thought about reading a novel that surrounds such a devastating period in world history. I'm glad that the author was able to celebrate some positivity that came out of it. I'm sure it's quite an inspirational read. Thank you for your great review.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thanks for a great review. I like the positivity of the novel in uplifting and reflecting encouraging biographies of survivors of one of the world`s worst atrocities against a single ethnic group. Other than for posterity, it is also a source of inspiration and promotion of dialogue in the view of preventing any such future atrocities.
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Thank you, quinto and excitedreads. The book is also refreshing, as I haven't encountered any other books like it.
-rk
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

As you mention the Jews, this book makes me interested to read that book. I like your reviewer style. You've done a great review. Cheers!
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Asamani
Currently Reading: The Diary of Anne Frank
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Asamani »

thanx alot. you have shown that empathy is better than sympathy
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Thank you, readandsmile and asamani. The book is really good to read.
-rk
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

For a review of a non-fiction book like Newcomers' Accomplishments II, I consider raikyuu's piece excellently written. I always look forward to getting new insights on the Holocaust and earnestly hope reading this book will be enriching.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

KlareAllison wrote:For a review of a non-fiction book like Newcomers' Accomplishments II, I consider raikyuu's piece excellently written. I always look forward to getting new insights on the Holocaust and earnestly hope reading this book will be enriching.
Thank you, KlareAllison. I sure hope that you may learn a lot by reading the book.
-rk
Papercup
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Papercup »

I can't imagine well how the people have been through. This is a good read. Thanks for the review.
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Papercup wrote:I can't imagine well how the people have been through. This is a good read. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome, Papercup. There are a lot of literature discussing similar topics. It's easy to find any of them.
-rk

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”