Official Review: Everything I Never Learned in School: A ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Everything I Never Learned in School: A ...

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Everything I Never Learned in School: A Guide to Success" by Darin Colucci.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've always been a fan of self-improvement books, especially the motivational ones with a positive, encouraging author. Even if I continue spending most of my time relaxing, reading books and playing video games I come away feeling happier due to the outpouring of positivity. However, Darin Colucci's Everything I Never Learned in School: A Guide to Success is one of the first self-improvement books that immediately made a change in my life. I actually had a hard time focusing on the last two chapters because I was so excited about putting the advice to work!

Everything I Never Learned in School: A Guide to Success is a step-by-step guide to finding what you want in life and going for it. Darin starts by defining, explaining and giving examples of "confident clarity" - being able to confidently state exactly what you want. Darin uses Derek Jeter as an excellent example, pointing out that in 5th grade he confidently wrote for an assignment, "I'm going to play shortstop for the New York Yankees." From here, Darin covers fear and how to resist or overcome it, how to find good advice and ignore the bad, and the importance of a positive attitude, good manners and unwavering perseverance among other topics. Each chapter covers one specific key, including examples (either from Darin's own life or from the lives of successful people like Steven King, Jim Carrey and Jerry Weintraub), and then recaps with The Takeaway (a bullet-point, super-brief summary) and a Task (an assignment to instill the lesson into your own life). The book then ends 10 small changes that can have great results like showing gratitude, finding the right friends and the awesomeness of to-do lists (Darin specifically says they're awesome!).

Darin's writing is incredibly encouraging and easy to follow. Also, because the book focuses on the overall attitudes and traits of success, they can apply to anyone in any field. As I said earlier, I enjoy self-improvement books so I've read a great deal of them. Much of Darin's book has been covered in other titles, but the way he does it is much more enjoyable to read, more easily digested and - most importantly - it encourages putting into practice. Typically when I'm done with a self-improvement title I feel empowered and encouraged, but it fades away a day or so later. With Everything I Never Learned in School: A Guide to Success I was so excited that I had trouble finishing the book, and I'm already making plans to work toward my own dream. That alone makes the book a huge success in my eyes!

I really enjoyed just how unique some of the chapters were. Self-improvement books often cover the same concepts, but Darin had at least a few very unique ones: reaching out to other successful people and volunteering. Darin suggests finding someone who has found great success in a field you're interested in and then reaching out to them. It sounds simple but Darin gives some great tips for how to do so, and he says it in a way that really makes me believe I can do it. Volunteering is something I always thought of as just something one does to help the needy, but Darin uses it like an internship that you make up yourself. Who wouldn't want a free employee at their company? Darin is quick to point out that volunteering somewhere and then giving less than your all defeats the purpose - if you find somewhere to volunteer and learn more about what you love you should give it 100% and show them what you can do even though you're not making a cent for it. At the least you'll end up with a great referral, but you may even work yourself into a paying job!

There wasn't a single page of this book I didn't enjoy, which makes it incredibly easy to give the book 4 out of 4 stars. It's perfectly edited, the format is superb, the writing is very enjoyable and the subject is covered excellently. Anyone who feels like they could be doing better with their life should invest in Everything I Never Learned in School: A Guide to Success by Darin Colucci. Just as I can't think of a single flaw with the book, I can't think of a single person who shouldn't read this book.

Everything I Never Learned in School: A Guide to Success
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

wow! It's obvious you enjoyed this one and I think I could do with some improvement. Thanks for the review, Cataclysmicknight
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Great review, I don't usually go for motivational or self-help books but this one sounds really good. I'm tempted to pick it up. :techie-studyinggray:
Cyril Stephano Lissu
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyril-stephano-lissu.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Cyril Stephano Lissu »

It is great that the title of the book depicts its contents as far as your review is concerned. It really motivated me to have a copy. Thanks.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Good self-improvement books are hard to find, most of them offer advice which has been heard a thousand times before or deliver the content in a boring way. It seems that this book is just the opposite. It's nice to hear you enjoyed this book so much, it must be something special.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Sounds like a winner. It might really appeal to young adults getting started in their careers and life on their own. A kick-start to success.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you liked this so much. It's rare to find such a raving review on a self help book. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

What an excellent review. I also agree it's rare finding a self improvement book. But it makes me happy if I find such book. Nice write up.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
chita betty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chita-betty.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by chita betty »

Nice review. Makes the book a most read. I could really use this kind of motivation to get me working on realising my dreams.
Veronica75
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Veronica75 »

I like to be motivated and anyone who needs motivation will like this book
Great work
morde
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morde.html

Post by morde »

Information like this is given at a price, good thing it's in narration layout so relating becomes much easier.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

From the review, I am already liking this book and seeing myself taking some useful self-improvement notes as I read on. I sincerely think that Everything I Never Learned in School: A Guide to Success by Darin Colucci is a significant contribution to the area of Self Motivation.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
NellyKay
Currently Reading: Am I a Man Yet?
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by NellyKay »

I feel like I'm slacking on some personal stuff and this book is exactly what I need to put me back on track, definitely going for it
Papercup
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Papercup »

This is a pleasant and refreshing book. I haven't pick up a book like this one before.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Brilliant review. it makes me want to go out and get a copy of the book right away.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”