Official Review: Poor Robert's Almanac

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Official Review: Poor Robert's Almanac

Post by Elaine5 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poor Robert’s Almanac" by Rob Chirico.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poor Robert's Almanac is perfectly described by its subtitle, A daily dose of drolleries and diversions to get you through another year. It's a collection of historical trivia organized by date, so that you can enjoy a few interesting facts every day for one full year.

There is no question that you will learn something from this book. It won't be profound or life changing, but it will be interesting or funny, or both. The trivia doesn't really follow a theme, or share a connection. On most dates, the author chooses an interesting event that happened that day, or an interesting person who was born that day, and gives a humorous account of that person or event. He touches on science, the arts, politics, food, nature and everything in between.

The writing style includes a subtle humor I really enjoyed. The author made me feel as if we shared some inside jokes, the kind that make you chuckle with the satisfaction that maybe nobody else caught the the humor. This excerpt might help illustrate my point: "Yes, it’s Lava Lamp Day, first celebrated in 1965. The original lamp was invented by British be ex World War II pilot turned accountant Edward Craven-Walker in 1963. The first lamps, using used paraffin wax and carbon tetrachloride, were originally called “Astro Globes” and later became “Lava Lites.” Although ordinary wax has a density much lower than that of water, and would float on top under any temperature, you can try to make one at home. But you are better off risking embarrassment and going out and buying one. The substance tetrachloride has since been banned, and the company now uses a “secret formula,” so you’re on your own."

An unexpected surprise for me in this book was the inclusion of several cocktail recipes and a couple of food recipes as well. On some dates, the author comments about cocktails that were enjoyed or invented by a particular person, or in particular place, and adds the recipe. This was a very nice touch!

Unfortunately, there are numerous errors throughout the book. They are not as bothersome as they might be in a book where one is trying to follow a plot or dialogue, but they are frequent, and therefore did detract from my enjoyment of the book.

In summary, I would recommend this almanac be read as designed, in bits and pieces, a little each day, by anyone who enjoys trivia or quirky historical facts. I rate the book just 3 out of 4 stars because of the many errors.

Poor Robert’s Almanac
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Elaine5's review? Post a comment saying so!
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

Nice review. Thank you
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like it might be good to read according to the day of the year. I don't think I would read it all in one go, but it sounds interesting for a daily trivia type thing. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

Thanks for commenting. I agree that it's not a book to be read cover to cover but is enjoyable bit by bit.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I love it already! I like interesting information and I feel proud that I read and know about something other people usually don't :D so I think I think I'm going to enjoy this book. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

:techie-studyinggray: I really like this type of content, sounds a bit like a ZINE, doesn't it? I will add it to my "want to read" shelf.

Thanks for the review!
:D
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

Thanks for your comments! Hope you enjoy the book!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I should read this so I can show off how much more brainy and knowledgeable I am than my circle of friends :D I think I could overlook the errors found in the book. Thanks for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
JOELEKURI
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by JOELEKURI »

Hmm i really need to read this book to understand the story because the whole story seems unfamiliar.
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

@joelekjuri There isn't a story in this book. It is a book full of trivia. You could read it in any order, here and there as you wish.
Quirinius
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Quirinius »

Am impressed by the way Robert described the book."There is no question that you will learn something from this book. It won't be profound or life changing, but it will be interesting or funny, or both. The trivia doesn't really follow a theme, or share a connection. On most dates, the author chooses an interesting event that happened that day, or an interesting person who was born that day, and gives a humorous account of that person or event. He touches on science, the arts, politics, food, nature and everything in between". True?

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”