Official Review: DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight Outta ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight Outta ...

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight Outta Oakland" by Judy Juanita.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When most people hear the word, “feminist,” it is usually associated with a negative meaning. It is common to see feminism depicted as women who are entitled and delusional individuals. In other words, there are many people who don’t understand what feminism truly is or the positives behind the word. In Judy Juanita’s DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight Outta Oakland, she uses her personal narrative to educate readers on what it means to be a writer, a black woman, and a feminist in America.

DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight Outta Oakland
is a non-fiction book filled with the author’s essays, poems and letters that all work to complement the narrative well. In the novel, the author talks about her experiences growing up from a young girl straight out of Oakland, to a member of the Black Panther Party. She addresses a wide range of topics that many shy away from such as, the “N” word, guns, single motherhood, and the most pertinent topic, feminism. She also writes about her struggles with her career and writing, which many readers will find themselves being able to relate to.

In the book, the text was well paced and the author didn’t just jump from one subject to another. I found myself interested in the novel as the author wrote in a way that would demand any reader’s attention. I loved the rawness of the narrative. The book carries powerful messages that I feel any reader, no matter their background, can relate to. I would say that the book definitely caters more to a female audience though. The reason is because the theme of women empowerment is strong in the narrative.

The author mentions the challenges that come with not simply being a black woman, but a woman in America. With all the stereotypes and gender inequalities, women are always stuck between peace and war in their own communities. The author not only addresses this fact, but she offers hope through her own personal stories. She allows readers a view into her life and we see her handle divorce and becoming a single parent to her son. Readers also see her triumph as she is able to sell her plays and books.

The author uses her own narrative to empower and enlighten readers. This book enlightens readers as they read about her time as a member of the Black Panther Party. It's interesting to read the author's perspective as she spoke of her role and the overall beliefs of the group. She also empowers readers as she writes about different women who paved the way for other women. Women who are viewed as the "under dogs" of society such as single mothers or women from challenging backgrounds, are showcased in a positive light. The author makes sure that through the text, her readers can feel uplifted and many will begin to understand what a feminist truly is.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. If I had to give a negative, it would be that there were some parts of the book that just seemed like filler material. I had to force myself to read the entire novel and not just skip to the author’s essays or personal stories about her life. For the most part, I felt this book was a powerful read. The book addresses some heavy topics, but it was well written and each topic had something that can be learned from it. I would recommend this book to a female audience, whether they refer to themselves as a feminist or not. This book is empowering, raw, enlightening and I feel it could be a great benefit to its readers.

DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight Outta Oakland
View: on Bookshelves

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This sounds like a nice read and i thank the author for sharing her experience. This is a good review you have done. I will read this one.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Rosemary Okoko wrote:This sounds like a nice read and i thank the author for sharing her experience. This is a good review you have done. I will read this one.
Thanks for reading! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like there's a lot of good points to this book and that it addresses quite a few issues. To be honest, I saw this one but was scared of it from the title. Still, sounds like it was mostly positive. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Sounds like something one can read in tandem with Audre Lorde and Judith Butler. I think the author's own narrative must complement the essays - I'll keep this book in mind.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading, everyone!

MelDevi
Currently Reading: Exit West
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meldevi.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by MelDevi »

Sounds like the thing I ought to read.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
bfergusonwpg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 222">Blood Crime</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 679
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfergusonwpg.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by bfergusonwpg »

Sounds like an interesting and empowering ride through subject matter that is too often written about from the point-of-view of aloof intellectuals and academics. Sounds like the author as actually been there and actually knows, from first hand experience, whereof she speaks.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thanks for reading! ?

Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am drawn to read this book. I compliment your thoughtful review, Amagine. (I actually wonder whether I can call myself a feminist.)
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Miriam Molina wrote:I am drawn to read this book. I compliment your thoughtful review, Amagine. (I actually wonder whether I can call myself a feminist.)
Thanks for reading, Miriam! Also I think anyone who supports women's rights and equality can be considered a feminist. ? ?

MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I love the author's unique perspective. I think this book sounds personal, yet informative. Great job on the review!
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

MarisaRose wrote:I love the author's unique perspective. I think this book sounds personal, yet informative. Great job on the review!
Thank you for reading! :D

yellosteel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by yellosteel »

The word feminism was given a pro - active meaning going by the theme of this narrative and its textual expression. Feminist or no feminist, the author's ' struggles and challenges ' are experiences many can easily relate to,hence it may help to serve as a source of encouragement,inspiration and motivation to those who are at a disadvantage ( mostly single moms ) in our society. Great review!
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This sounds like an important topic that I would like to read about. I'll add it to my to read. Thanks!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”