Official Review: Underground and Radioactive

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: Underground and Radioactive

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Underground and Radioactive" by R.D. Saunders.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is about mining. No! Wait! Come back. The book is absolutely amazing. Okay, maybe I should have led with that, but luckily, you are still here. Although the book is, in fact, about one man’s experiences in his time working in a uranium mine in New Mexico, it is also about so much more than that. This book is about American culture in the 1970’s, perseverance, hard-work, incredible skill, and the unique challenges of working in an environment that many of us have never even thought much about. All of these themes are presented to the fortuitous reader with a healthy serving of humor and complemented with excellent writing.

Underground and Radioactive by R.D. Saunders is a non-fiction book chronicling the times leading up to and during his employment at Kermac Nuclear Fuels Corporation at Section 35, one of the uranium mines in the Ambrosia lake area, New Mexico. Saunders tells us of his college experiences and his employment opportunities (and sometimes lack thereof) which led him to him to Section 35, his experiences getting hired for the company, and his time working for Kermac. He details for the reader the trials and tribulations a new employee at a company like this needs to undergo, the hierarchy of employment working underground, the nature of the work itself, and many of the dangers inherent in the work. This is a very personal tale of Saunders’ own experiences and although it is riddled with plenty of extremely informative information about uranium mining (or any type of mining in general), I would prefer to classify it as a continual collection of anecdotes that introduce the reader to a life they have likely never imagined. These anecdotes inform, destroy some stereotypes (and likely enhance some others), imbibe immense respect for those doing these jobs, spark internal reflection into how you would personally do in these situations, and even laugh out loud.

Quite bluntly, I cannot say enough how much I enjoyed this book. I loved the descriptions of the mining community and how every single inch of respect gained during employment is solely earned on the coattails of hard work (and often keeping your mouth shut). I loved reading about the ladder of employment that one climbs while working at a place like Section 35. Just because you work underground doesn’t mean that you are a miner. You are an underground laborer and can only hope that the crappy (sometimes literally – Saunders had a stint filling in the mine’s underground latrines for a while) jobs will lead to more interesting positions such as a miner’s assistant (or eventually an actual miner). I thoroughly enjoyed reading about how Saunders managed to climb these rungs over a relatively short period of time due to his hard work, commitment, and sometimes luck. One chapter of particular note and interest for me was both a lead-in to an upcoming story and something that we surface dwellers would rarely think about: darkness. Saunders explains how a mine is a place of complete and utter darkness (if you turn the light off); there is absolutely no light around whatsoever. This can be terrifying, peaceful, dangerous, and disorienting all at the same time. He tells anecdotes of dead headlamp batteries stranding miners for hours on end and even of a mysterious light that literally haunted one of his mining stopes. I think one of my biggest takeaways from this book, besides the pure and simple enjoyment I had reading it, was the utmost respect I have for those that work in mines like this. Not only is it absolutely grueling, thankless work but there is much more to the work than meets the eye. There is an extremely acute instinct and intelligence required to be a successful miner. I learned that there is a definite science to detonating charges underground. You need multiple holes, in distinct patters, timing just perfectly, such that one explosion leaves room for the next to expand, and so on. Beyond this, a miner needs to be so in tune with his surroundings that he is able to foresee every possible consequence of even the smallest actions he takes (at least if he wants to get out alive). I wish I could fill this page with all of the great anecdotes and things that I learned while reading Underground and Radioactive but I guess I’ll just have to let you read them for yourselves.

If I was forced to say one thing that I disliked about this book, it would have to be that the title is somewhat misleading. Undoubtedly the “Underground” in the title works quite well, but quite honestly, there is nothing “Radioactive” at all in the book. Besides the fact that this book is talking about mining uranium ore, there is only one mention of radioactivity at all. Saunders presents a minor (excuse the pun) nugget of information that a small chunk of uranium ore has about as much radiation as a bunch of bananas. I realize that using radioactive in the title is likely an attention grab to make it sound more interesting, but it has little to do with the book.

If you haven’t guessed by now, I loved this book, and it is with distinct ease that I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. In Underground and Radioactive Saunders gives the reader an enlightening glimpse into a world many of us will never see or know anything about. All the while, he makes it entertaining, informative, and downright interesting. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who reads non-fiction and loves learning new things in a fun manner. If you absolutely, 100%, only read fiction, I guess this one wouldn’t be for you. If you find yourself thinking too hard about whether or not you should read this book, go with your gut and follow the advice that one of the miners Saunders worked for gives, “It just doesn’t pay to be doing too much thinking.”

Underground and Radioactive
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Miners are to be highly respected and appreciated for the stress and dangers that the endure unearthing the riches and treasures hidden in the darkness of the deep bowels of the earth. But unfortunately, we hear stories of their poor working conditions and wages that often lead to strikes (as in South Africa). Hopefully, this book will bring about more awareness of the hard work and plight of miners to make society to place more value on them. Thanks for an exhaustive review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Jeikolpalacio
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jeikolpalacio »

I don't like it
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:Miners are to be highly respected and appreciated for the stress and dangers that the endure unearthing the riches and treasures hidden in the darkness of the deep bowels of the earth. But unfortunately, we hear stories of their poor working conditions and wages that often lead to strikes (as in South Africa). Hopefully, this book will bring about more awareness of the hard work and plight of miners to make society to place more value on them. Thanks for an exhaustive review.
Well said. I do think that the book brings awareness and respect to the profession and fully agree with everything you've mentioned. Thanks for the comment.

-- 19 Jun 2017, 07:38 --
Jeikolpalacio wrote:I don't like it
The book or the review? Either way, you are allowed your opinions :) .
nareadyns
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nareadyns.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch

Post by nareadyns »

Great review!

The mining industry is a new world for me, it's the kind o subject I never give much thought because it's full of good and bad.

Reading your review I liked what the writer have made of the subject and learn much more about it. This will bring me to get the book and read more about it.

As you said the title misleads the reader, myself I thought it should be about something like uranium but again that also incite more curiosity.

Thanks for the great review
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I'm really glad you enjoyed this so much. I looked at this one to review several times and passed it up. I'll have to look into it again! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Femiadebiyi

Post by Femiadebiyi »

I will like read, the description techniques employed,if does made the book narrative
entertaining.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This is a good review. It is not everyday that we read mining stories. I would like to know what happens in the mines. This is my cup of tea.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

nareadyns wrote:Great review!

The mining industry is a new world for me, it's the kind o subject I never give much thought because it's full of good and bad.

Reading your review I liked what the writer have made of the subject and learn much more about it. This will bring me to get the book and read more about it.

As you said the title misleads the reader, myself I thought it should be about something like uranium but again that also incite more curiosity.

Thanks for the great review
I appreciate it... that really is what I loved about this book. An interesting subject that I may not have looked at before.

-- 20 Jun 2017, 15:02 --
kandscreeley wrote:Wow! I'm really glad you enjoyed this so much. I looked at this one to review several times and passed it up. I'll have to look into it again! Thanks!
I've found that happens from now an then. There is something that pops up that I have completely ignored but shows up as a BOTD or otherwise that I regret afterwards for not having grabbed it! Thanks for the comment.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Glad you liked this one so much! Didn't think this one would interest me at all... but your review may have changed my mind!
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

MarisaRose wrote:Glad you liked this one so much! Didn't think this one would interest me at all... but your review may have changed my mind!
There is so much in a presentation. Although the subject may be interesting, if the author wasn't able to convey a topic well, the book wouldn't be successful. The same is true for the converse. Fortunately, this book has both an interesting topic (despite what you may think at first glance) and an author that can keep you amused. Thank you for the comment.
bfergusonwpg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 222">Blood Crime</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 679
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfergusonwpg.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by bfergusonwpg »

This definitely looks different. It sounds very unpretentious (aside from the misleading title), always a quality I look for. Sounds very much like the author knows his subject in-depth (no pun). I look forward to checking this one out eventually and thanks for the enthusiastic review!
micarida
Currently Reading: The Vampire Gaytooth
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micarida.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by micarida »

So glad I read this review. Previously judged the book by the name and said it didn't seem much my type. Now however, my curiosity is sufficiently piqued by this review. This is the essence of reviews, nicely done.
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Just wow ! This novel is perfect one to read. Admirable review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

The review is so detailed that you got me hooked to the book. I haven't heard about many non-fiction books similar to it, so I don't doubt it's an original take which also gives insight on the cultural part of the period. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”