Official Review: Love Is: A Farewell to Nuclear Arms

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Official Review: Love Is: A Farewell to Nuclear Arms

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Is: A Farewell to Nuclear Arms by Jimmy Shroff.]

Love Is: A Farewell to Nuclear Arms is a thought-provoking book. The author, Jimmy Shroff, is a former sea-captain now living in Mumbai in India. The book aims at eliciting the support of the silent majority of the citizens of the world in the fight to end the arms race. It is the author’s contention that the power of love at the disposal of the masses is the potent antidote to the proliferation of arms. He supports this view with a quote that he attributes to Dr. Helen Caldicott to the effect that each person could save the world through love.

The book is divided into seven parts. The parts are further subdivided into topics. The author states that human beings are responsible for the present messy state of the world and have the moral responsibility to clean up the mess. The muddle consists of global warming, global nuclear arming, and other global afflictions. He bemoans the fact that some world leaders are in denial of climate change; their focus is on the production of nuclear arms as a guarantee of security while ignoring the collateral damage to the environment. In the worst case scenario, the use of the arms in a vain attempt at self-defense will end up making everyone insecure.

This book speaks to present world events. Last Monday North Korea successfully launched her latest long-range ballistic missile that can carry a nuclear warhead. Other countries with nuclear weapons are the United States, China, Russia, India, Israel, France, Pakistan, and the United Kingdom. More countries are eager to join the club but have been restrained by the United Nations from doing so.

The author’s belief in the mystical forms the basis of his hope for world peace through the unity and love of the masses. The glimpse he gives into his family and the love that permeates it shows us a microcosm of a loving world. It was interesting for me to learn about his journey of exploration in religion from an early age into adulthood. The teachings he now impacts, and their potential to positively affect world peace, are richly conveyed in the pages of his book. I have read some of the books of Lobsang Rampa, and I found some of the metaphysical beliefs in this book in tune with his.

I like the author’s attempt to involve everyone in the safety of the world, and not leave that important issue solely in the hands of our leaders. This is especially necessary since some leaders are now devoting much more money and resources in their national budgets for developing their supposed nuclear umbrella of protection. The author argues that since this urge in our leaders is borne out of misunderstanding and hatred of other world leaders, the remedy is to replace hatred with love. To achieve this Shroff advocates that the masses must demonstrate love and friendship to disarm the fears of their leaders.

Jimmy Shroff’s passion for a peaceful and weapons-free world is genuine and commendable. His delivery of
the message is spot on. I found no flaws with the PDF copy of the book that I read. World leaders will find good reasons in the book to work towards the achievement of such a noble objective. The masses of people can also learn from the book about how they can be part of the solution. Lovers of the metaphysical writings of the legendary Tuesday Lobsang Rampa will love this book as well. I unreservedly rate Love Is: A Farewell to Nuclear Arms 4 out of 4 star
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I just googled Lobsang Rampa and I don't believe in the guy at all but I think every lie has a little bit of truth in it. I do agree that Love is a farewell to nuclear arms and it seems that this book is pushing positivity so that's a good thing though.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Hi Jaime, I appreciate your comment. The book is worth reading because it advocates forcefully for world peace.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely is a noble cause. I am absolutely positive, though, that no one will agree on how this should be accomplished (actually they probably won't even agree that this is necessary.) Still, sounds like a good book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”