Official Review: Broken Child Mended Man by Adam Starks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Official Review: Broken Child Mended Man by Adam Starks

Post by Snowflake »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broken Child Mended Man" by Adam Starks.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Broken Child Mended Man is a non-fiction autobiography about the life journey of Adam Starks, Ph.D. Adam Starks went through many significant challenges as a child and young adult and managed to succeed in making a productive and happy life for himself and his family. This book recounts his journey from a malnourished, neglected child through to being taken from his home by children’s services and living with both interracial and same race foster families, to college and beginning life as a healthy and happy adult.

I found the book to be well written and the pace and timing were excellent. I felt involved in Adam’s story and continually wanting to find out what happened next. The journey moves from Burbank, California to rural Virginia and Adam spends several years in several locations, each with a different family and each with its own set of challenges, difficulties and opportunities.

The quotes used at the beginning of each section of the book are both inspirational and an excellent indication of the spirit of the author as he recounts his life journey with clear eyes and a continuing understanding of his own difficult journey. Adam Stark’s ability to tell his story as an almost impersonal observer but still include the feelings and emotions of his life is very impressive.

It is clear that Adam worked very hard to be fair and honest in his writing and he includes both the positives and negatives of his own past behaviors and choices as well as taking a reasonable look at the actions of those who had care of him. Adam provides an excellent message about not needing to be perfect but to keep going forward, learning as you go along, and working on being better the best way that you can. He shows that mistakes are learning opportunities and chances to grow and that often there are people in our community willing to help us succeed.

I did find figuring out who everyone was and following the timelines a little challenging at times. There was a fair bit of back and forth within the timelines of each section that was sometimes hard to keep up with. I also found it hard to keep track of names and ages of people/family in each section. Perhaps a more intentional introduction of each new family would be helpful as well as some more explanations along with the jumps in timeline.

I give Broken Child Mended Man 3 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed this book; felt it was well written and that it had a great message. Even though I did not go through the same life challenges, many of the lessons Adam writes about are applicable to anyone in any life. Learning from your mistakes, learning to see yourself and those around you clearly (even if in hindsight) and taking responsibility for your own life while at the same time, taking comfort and help from the community around you are lessons for all of us. I didn’t give it a 4 because of the timeline and keeping track of who everyone was challenges, however, those who enjoy reading about people triumphing over a difficult early life and/or about people’s life journeys will really enjoy this book.

Broken Child Mended Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes

Like Snowflake's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love inspirational stories that demonstrates determination and perseverance. It's amazing that the author had a challenging life but he is resilient and determined to become someone successful. This sounds like it will be an enjoyable book.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the quotes at the beginning of each section. That sounds like a great way to introduce parts of your life. It's too bad it was difficult to follow who was who sometimes. Still, it sounds like an interesting book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Amagine wrote:I love inspirational stories that demonstrates determination and perseverance. It's amazing that the author had a challenging life but he is resilient and determined to become someone successful. This sounds like it will be an enjoyable book.

Great Review! ?
Thanks very much. It was an interesting and enjoyable read.

-- 08 May 2017, 10:50 --
kandscreeley wrote:I love the quotes at the beginning of each section. That sounds like a great way to introduce parts of your life. It's too bad it was difficult to follow who was who sometimes. Still, it sounds like an interesting book.
Yes, the quotes were really quite good. Just a little more intro to the people in each section would have been handy, but it was still a very good read.
peace starts with a smile...
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

This book is a happy journey from adversity in childhood to success in adulthood. I wish that most children who go through the children’s services and foster living have such a happy ending. The determination of the author to sail through these life vicissitudes is commendable, and everyone can learn a lesson from him.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:This book is a happy journey from adversity in childhood to success in adulthood. I wish that most children who go through the children’s services and foster living have such a happy ending. The determination of the author to sail through these life vicissitudes is commendable, and everyone can learn a lesson from him.
Yes, even though there were a lot of challenges along the way, it was great to see such a positive end result after many years in foster care.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This reminds me of another book that I recently read - A boy called it....I don't want to read a heart-wrenching book like that right now because the emotions really well up in me. However, I would recommend it to everyone. Thanks for the review.
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Jaime Lync wrote:This reminds me of another book that I recently read - A boy called it....I don't want to read a heart-wrenching book like that right now because the emotions really well up in me. However, I would recommend it to everyone. Thanks for the review.
I'm glad you found the review helpful and hope you give the book a chance when you're ready :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”