Official Review: To argue Logically or with heart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: To argue Logically or with heart

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To argue Logically or with heart" by Dr. Saida Seddik.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being born and raised in America, it's easy to get swept up in the "we're number one!" mentality. I've often heard that people from other countries think very differently about America, and I've certainly got my fair share of qualms with the good ol' USA, but I never would have imagined some of the things our country does. To Argue Logically or With Heart by Dr. Saida Seddik is an insightful, non-fiction, philosophical book that discusses the importance of keeping the environment healthy, equality, peace, Islam and the evils of capitalism and neocolonialism all within less than 80 pages!

I ended up learning a lot from Dr. Saida Seddik, particularly about the influences of capitalism and the misconceptions of Islam the media brandies about. She covers numerous subjects, bouncing between them frequently, but these are the two main subjects that she always returns to. I learned that Islam faces as many problems within their own Muslim countries as it does abroad, for example, and Dr. Saida Seddik even says that "of all the major religions, Islam focuses most on human rights." This is a stark contrast to what the media often says, and the insight is really enlightening!

Even more shocking, however, are her insights into capitalism and neocolonialism in particular. She defines neocolonialism as the "imperial system of economic exploitation, in which the metropolitan center drains the resources of the periphery while at the same time encouraging it to consume its manufactured products in an unequal, unbalanced system of exchange." It sounds like a parasite! And yet this is how the USA is being defined, in that the USA feeds off of third world and smaller countries, keeping them down and drawing on their resources (like oil). I'd also frequently heard that ISIS was created by our government, and Dr. Saida Seddik gives further examples of how that came to be. She makes great points about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights that the UN uses from after WWII as well. There's a list of the articles in it, and she points out that even when those things are broken no action is taken. This is something we see even more of today with the civilian killing, hospital bombing and destruction in Syria.

The problem, however, is in the consistency of the book. It really felt like more than one person authored it at times, and my only guess is that perhaps only portions of the book were professionally edited. Sometimes the writing was smooth and easy to follow, even when discussing heavier subjects, and that made me feel really smart! Other times, though, there were all sorts of grammatical issues, I had trouble following along and the writing was exceptionally dry. When all of these combine the book is nearly unreadable and I had to re-read numerous paragraphs over and over before giving up and moving on. This is especially true of subjects I was less familiar with - the more in-depth political talk and Islamic topics especially. Dr. Saida Seddik has a way of forgetting to define terms in these portions of the book sometimes, so I was forced to dive into subjects that have entire books based on them to figure out what exactly was being said. This is a shame as the book is well-researched and the smoother portions are excellent; Dr. Saida Seddik uses over 80 references from other sources throughout the book (that's an average of more than one per page!) and she really shows some great potential in the smoother portions of the book.

Unfortunately, the way the book currently is, I can only recommend it to those who are very interested (and knowledgeable) about politics and/or Islam. For everyone else, without a lot of editing and some extra details, it's a tough read. It easily took me two or three times longer than it should have to get through and I didn't even end up absorbing everything no matter how hard I tried. As such, my official rating of To Argue Logically or With Heart is 2 out of 4 stars.

To argue Logically or with heart
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

"of all the major religions, Islam focuses most on human rights." I beg to differ on this issue, as the evidence does not support this view. Just a point, why are women not allowed to move around freely in Muslim countries, and not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia? Why are whole countries declared as 'Muslim', and others of different religions marginalized? Can anyone reconcile these with focus on human rights?
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
interrupted_girl
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by interrupted_girl »

Basically, for me,
logical argument= factual, can be proven, objective, room for learning something new
Hearty argument= Personal views based on ones inner emotional state re the matter. Subjective

I choose logical because thereby, I am not imposing via persuasion, to make someone surrender to my beliefs. Hearty argument may result in insults and problems.
Logical always ends well with me, as it entails openness & data.
Thank you?
ReadtoLive
Bookshelf Size: 531
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readtolive.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by ReadtoLive »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:"of all the major religions, Islam focuses most on human rights." I beg to differ on this issue, as the evidence does not support this view. Just a point, why are women not allowed to move around freely in Muslim countries, and not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia? Why are whole countries declared as 'Muslim', and others of different religions marginalized? Can anyone reconcile these with focus on human rights?
I have to agree with you on that one. I find it hard to believe the Muslim religion is "focused on human rights" when it suppresses half of their population (women) and also restricts the rights of women who are not Muslims when they are in their countries, by requiring them to cover their hair, etc. Nevertheless, I might've read this book if the reviewer hadn't noted how hard it is to get through. Given that, I probably won't.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounds like it could have been an amazing book of not for the inconsistencies and errors. I appreciate the book for its insight and about the Muslim culture. If revised, this could be a powerful book.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

It sounds like this book covered some really interesting topics, so it's disappointing that the writing/editing makes it difficult to read.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”