Official Review: The Urban Shepherd...Chasing the America...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: The Urban Shepherd...Chasing the America...

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Urban Shepherd...Chasing the American Dream" by Ben Amor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Urban Shepherd by Ben Amor is an autobiographical story of how a young, poor shepherd boy of Tunisia, North Africa, achieved the American dream. It is not your average rags-to-riches story, that would be quite disappointing. This story is so much better because the author’s dream is bigger than simply coming out of poverty and earning a living for himself. His desire is to end world hunger and make the world a better place. He founded the charity Terra-Genesis Inc. based in San Antonio, Texas. Despite many setbacks and difficulties both in his personal and business life, the author has persevered and come out on top. Now he is sharing his story, struggles and all, to encourage others to dream big, work hard, and succeed.

It was interesting to read about the author's life in Tunisia. I had never heard of Tunisia before and was fascinated to learn about it. It was very shocking and sad to hear about the infant mortality rate and how that affected the author's life personally. I can see why he is so passionate about helping the people in Tunisia as well as children and families around the world. His personal story is a heartbreaking, yet realistic picture of what families in poverty have to go through.

Much of the book is designed to be motivational. Throughout the pages there are quotes from famous authors like Napoleon Hill, Dan Miller, and Elizabeth S. Steger. I was not always sure what each quote had to do with what I was reading right then and thought it was a little distracting. Perhaps it would make more sense in a print version where it could be offset differently. However, I can applaud the author for trying to lighten up the heaviness of a biography with some motivational insights.

For me, the book became a little dry and boring about halfway through. I think this is because there is a lot of explanation without much story. I would have loved to hear individual stories about the people who were helped by Terra-Genesis rather than a broad overview of it. Hearing more personal stories would have helped me connect and understand the charity much better. Sometimes there seemed to be too much focus on what was happening from the business end. I can see how it would be helpful for others who are in that same position, but if you are not working in a charity, it may be harder to relate to the business aspect of the book.

Writing an autobiography that spans a long period of time is a difficult task. The author succeeded in keeping it focused and direct. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the author’s life and passion for helping others. I wish there were more people as driven to help others as this man is. Aside from some portions being a little slow, it is a well-written and interesting book. For that reason, I give it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in starting a charity and would like some motivation or insight into what it looks like.

The Urban Shepherd...Chasing the American Dream
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a good book. I wonder if maybe the author should have split out the business aspect of the charity into a different book? That way he could focus only on the stories and let this just be inspirational. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

This is a 'dream big' story, looking at the background of the author. Often, people overcome extraordinary odds to accomplish much. I hope this book serves as a motivation to all. Does the title indicate that he transitioned from a rural to become an urban shepherd, which is metaphorical?
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Nice review. This book is not for me as I don't read autobiographies that much.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Marren Anyango
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marren Anyango »

Can give it a recommendation of a "think big", no matter how one might struggle in thereafter are luxurious lifes,therefore I'm much encouraged by the young Shepherd boy
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like the fact that the book is about a boy in poverty who wanted to help make the world a better place for others. This definitely sounds like an aspiring read.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Katliekatzz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Katliekatzz »

It was very inspiring to know that another immigrant did not give up and achieved the American Dream . I recommend it
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I enjoy reading such books which are motivating and are written based on real life experience. I thank the author for sharing the story of his life. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”