Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by jimthorne2 »

Roadmap to the End of Days
Daniel Friedmann

Daniel Friedmann vividly presents a blueprint for history from Cosmic purpose to the end of days. The pattern of Biblical history is pictured then drawn out in great detail from the dawn of creation to the end of this world. Purposely drawing from mystical tradition, Friedmann explains each era in a timeline of history pointing out that “Past and future events, described and plotted on a timeline and superimposed on a plan for human history, will provide readers with the roadmap to the End of Days.” (54) Friedmann proposes a journey from the past to the future for the reader.

This book is an interesting attempt to give the reader a complete view of the sweep of time. I liked the clear description of Old Testament history which he uses as the basis for the timeline. I appreciate the hope stressed about an end of days that is positive rather than negative. The understanding of Biblical history displayed is accurate as far as it goes. In other words, the general idea of the book is very helpful for someone interested in the affairs of mankind with an explanation of history as it applies to both past and present events. What I don’t like about the book is the selective use of Scripture to support the author’s premises. For instance, the idea that Amalek is the consistent enemy to God’s purposes is often state and hinted at but never specifically supported by Biblical exegesis. His fundamental commitment to mystical interpretation governs his commentary on history. His scholarship is lacking because he ignores any other option to the interpretation of the Old Testament than his mystical interpretation. Finally, what I don’t like about Friedmann’s book is that his view of Biblical history ignores any reference to the significance and impact of the New Testament message upon general history and the end of days specifically.

I rate this book 2 out of 3 stars. If someone is looking for a comprehensive report of history, they will be intrigued but disappointed. How can a history that does not include the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ come close to comprehensiveness? Someone seeking a study of the Old Testament will find much of interest but be misled by the exclusion of Biblical covenants as a determining factor in Biblical prophecy.

Friedmann’s view of history is important since he proposes to tell us the end from the beginning. He says that his treatment is from a supernatural perspective, but his definition of supernatural is mysticism. He speaks with disfavor about cyclical views of history but then tells us that time obeys certain cycles. He needs these cycles to bolster his idea of repeated historical eras in the timeline. Friedmann’s contention that the Bible is not a history book disputes his own construction of a roadmap based upon the Bible. A Christian view of history is not cyclical. It is a linear representation of the revelation of God in both Old and New Testament scriptures and provides a true biblical history and eschatology.

Our author’s description of time is brilliant. Utilizing mystical interpretation, he speaks of time being kept differently in the physical world than in the spiritual worlds. The effect of this position is that he accepts a day-age view proposed by scientists committed to evolutionary hypotheses. On the contrary, I think that God creates the clock of time, sets the time, governs the time and reveals in Scripture the roadmap of human history as it stretches out from beginning to end.

Friedmann’s contention is that there is a roadmap from the beginning to end of time. He lists specific times and dates for this roadmap. He attempts a rational proof for the length of each period of time but fails in the effort. He says that the value of his roadmap is that it provides mankind with the opportunity to make history work for cosmic purpose. He says that this physical world was made so that God would have an abode here. Of course, this is pure speculation since God does not tell us why He created but that He created.

There are a few points that Friedmann makes that I must challenge:
  • There is no Biblical evidence that Moses was commanded by God to compel the world to accept the Seven Noahide Laws.
    • Ignoring the Biblical Covenants is inadequate Biblical eschatology.
    • Proposing several Messiahs and ignoring the claims of Jesus in the New Testament is poor scholarship.
    • Self-development is a feeble substitution for personal deliverance from sin.
    • Implying that man rather than God is in control of events in history does not follow logically from the author’s point that either everything is preordained and proceeding according to a plan, or we have complete free will – i.e., we are unconstrained in making moral decisions.
Roadmap is Book 3 of Inspired Studies. It is a non-fiction attempt at Demystifying Biblical Eschatology. Roadmap is a Jewish eschatology and does not include the Christian Scriptures or Christian eschatology. The author’s view of the Bible is limited to the Old Testament and does not contain the New Testament. How scholarly is that? He should have dealt with that issue or at least recognized that there is an issue. There is a deliberate neglect of Christian claims. Friedmann’s work at reconciling the Biblical account with scientific observation uses the Bible to illustrate his scientific theory. This approach severely prejudices his view toward scientism which he seeks to compensate by a commitment to mystical tradition.

Friedmann’s book is nothing like J.D. Pentecost’s Things to Come, an excellent treatment of Biblical eschatology which includes both Old Testament and New Testament input and provides a true roadmap to the end of days. L. S. Chafer’s Systematic Theology, Volume IV Ecclesiology, Eschatology delivers a complete roadmap to the end of days this displays the teaching of the whole Bible on this vital subject.

Friedmann’s Roadmap forced me to think through my personal convictions as a Biblical Christian educated trained in theology. I appreciate the challenge. It encouraged me to see eschatology as something of concern to my Jewish brethren. Friedmann’s attempt is praiseworthy but falls short of what it could be. Potential readers should be ready for a shock at how Biblical history can be so portrayed to fool us into thinking that we can survive on partial revelation. True Biblical eschatology must be truly Biblical.
Max Bauer
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-bauer.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Max Bauer »

I seem to have reviewed the same book. Nothing against you, of course. In fact, it's good to see two opinions, right? I would give a link to the review, but it seems you aren't allowed to do that on this website, which is actually a wise thing. Just check my profile I guess. You, of course, can add a link to this post on mine. I gave the book 1 out of 4 stars. In a sign of friendship, I'm going to now read your post. I hope you read mine.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

I have also reviewed this book but I gave it a much higher rate. It's nice to see other opinions.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

I just reviewed the same book and have some similar comments. Well done review.
Anita_Gatson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anita-gatson.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Anita_Gatson »

I recently posted my volunteer review on this book and I agree totally with your points of interest. There were several issues that I had with this read and you expounded well on additional topics that gave me clearer insight into what the author was attempting to say. I think what really blew me away was the blatant disregard for the Messiah Jesus Christ and the fact that Mr. Friedmann saw absolutely no reason to mention the Christians' Lord and Savior. According to the author Jesus' existence is of no consequence to history and he obviously has no interest in what the New Testament has to say in regards to end time events. It's beyond me how he believes that he actually did justice to Eschatology! Thanks again for your review!
Shola0706
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shola0706.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Shola0706 »

I too reviewed the book but rated it much higher. Friedmann is writing from a Jewish perspective. This means Christian views, the New Testament and Jesus has no bearings or value for this work. Second of all, Friedmann is a scientist, not a theologian. Having these two things at the back of my mind, makes me more forgiving of Friedmann.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

I am currently reading this book and appreciated your review. I also did not expect the ending when I first looked at the book. However, when reviewing his credentials and his strict use of the old testament I learned very ea early on in the reading that he would not have Jesus as the Messiah.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:

Post by ShareTheGift »

"Friedmann is writing from a Jewish perspective. This means Christian views, the New Testament and Jesus has no bearings or value for this work."

Do you think he should have mentioned more related to Christ? Do you think that would have muddied the ending? I am not sure if two Messiah is within Jewish tradition. However, there is the two Messiah theme in Christianity as well with John The Baptist being the fore-runner (similar to Meddiah ben David) to prepare the way for Christ.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:

Post by ShareTheGift »

"Friedmann’s Roadmap forced me to think through my personal convictions as a Biblical Christian educated trained in theology."

Thanks for your in depth review.

I thought, as I was reading the book that many Christian's would have trouble in reconciling this version of end of times. I wonder if there were many who decided not to finish the book because they could see that his outcome would not have Jesus as the Messiah? Do people generally make a post when they choose not to finish a book with why they chose not to finish it?
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I have reviewed The Biblical Clock by the same author. Although it is enjoyable to read, it is more like science fiction.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”