Official Review: When Angels Fly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
noethe5
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noethe5.html
Latest Review: The Devil's template by Philip Omoniyi Adetiloye

Official Review: When Angels Fly

Post by noethe5 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Angels Fly" by S. Jackson & A. Raymond.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Angels Fly by S. Jackson and A. Raymond is journaled account of two major elements of what I assume to be author Sarah Jackson’s life. The first life-long event is the constant abuse and harassment placed upon Sarah by her mother, husband, and siblings as part of a very dysfunctional family. The second major life event depicted through the journaling is the battle with a rare cancer suffered by Sarah’s five year old son, Eli, and the experience that Sarah has going through the ordeal on the sidelines of her son’s suffering. The story is based on a true story and real-life events that were recorded in journals by the authors.

The characterization of Sarah, Eli, Henry the abusive husband, and Ethel the abusive mother was very interesting. Sarah was a character of strength through unimaginable hardship. Eli was a child who was wise and brave well beyond his years. Henry was a heartless, self-centered sociopath who lived only to see Sarah suffer emotionally and physically. Finally, Ethel was an abuser from Sarah’s childhood all the way through her adult life. I found the characters to be very real, diverse, and either admirable or horrific, respectively.

While the story of Eli’s battle with cancer coupled with the abuse suffered by Sarah was heart wrenching, it took everything in me to finish the book. I found it to be riddled with errors of incorrect word usage, absurd shifts in verb tense, and general lack of editing. What was more frustrating was the excess of detail in terms of the medical test result numbers on a daily journal entry basis; the redundancy of the hospital care routine that Sarah provided Eli; the vague, yet frequent, references to Sarah's legal battles; and the length in general. Additionally, the language swayed greatly between complex medical terminology such as emesis (vomiting) to trite words such as tummy. In fact, it wasn’t until chapter 21 and the epilogue that I found the writing to be tolerable to my interest as a reader and better proofread. This is a sad state for a book with so much potential for an amazing story of struggle and triumph.

I rate this book a 1 out of 4 stars because the errors in the writing were distracting and the constant redundancy of the medical details and humdrum of day to day life was practically unbearable to read. These elements greatly detracted from the quality of the characters and the immense potential drama of both the abuse and the battle with cancer. It truly read like an amateurish journal, wrought with free-flowing thoughts of the mundane and without care for proofreading. All of these elements made reading the book drag on and on.

Because of the way the book is written, I suppose the it would appeal most to other families who have been faced with the battle of cancer. These people would better understand the constant lab result data that means nothing to the general population. It might also appeal to a medical professional who would like to understand the day to day battle of the patients and families that they serve. For the average Joe, however, the depth of detail greatly deterred from the immersion into the potentially fantastic plot lines presented. I am truly sorry for the hardships suffered by both Eli and Sarah, but to be honest, had I purchased the book, I would want my money back.

When Angels Fly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like noethe5's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Sounds like this could be a very inspiring story if edited. It seems to me that the author also needs to reflect on or decide what audience the book is intended for. Good job sticking it out and writing some constructive criticism!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree with kitkat. It seems like it could be an inspiring story. Too bad. Thanks
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It's too bad that a story on such a huge issue in our world is so poorly written. The author should have tried much harder.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Family abuse and harassment as a writing topic has much relevance these days as a means of education on that evil.

The issue of the battle with a rare cancer suffered by a five year old child is also what many families can identify with and empathize with. I hope the author revises the book to make it more acceptable.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
LRBarton
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by LRBarton »

Thank you for the review. The subject of the book does sound like it has great potential to be an excellent read but with so many errors in grammar and writing I won't waste my time. It's such a distraction when reading a book with so many mistakes. Your honest review is how these kinds of books have the opportunity to live up to their potential.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Amagine wrote:It's too bad that a story on such a huge issue in our world is so poorly written. The author should have tried much harder.

Great Review! ?

I share Amagine's sentiment. I think that the author should consult a professional editor and rework this book because it has so much potential to positively impact readers.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”