Official Review: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything...

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her" by Dr Maureen E Hosier, Berta Hosier Conger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Self-confidence is a vital part of life, and this is especially true in relationships. Not only does it help with getting a date, it also helps keep a relationship healthy. One of the most vital pieces of relationship advice I've ever heard was that if you don't even know who you are, what you want and what makes you happy, how can you expect someone else to do it for you? Self-confidence, more specifically realizing that it's important to be yourself and not give yourself up for your significant other, is the foundation of You'll Do Anything For Her. Written by sisters Dr. Maureen E Hosier and Berta Hosier Conger, the book is especially written for those who truly feel they'll do anything for their significant other, especially at the loss of their own happiness and self.

The book begins by listing some of the ways one gives themselves up in a relationship. This includes putting her happiness first to an extreme, giving up your own opinions and preferences for hers and becoming submissive to her wishes. The authors term this a "one-person relationship", and it applies to any relationship that's entirely about only one person. This doesn't apply to those who simply meet in the middle about decisions or give something up here and there for their loved one's happiness, like getting burgers when you really want tacos. This is for those who reluctantly give in the majority of the time, worried that if they don't they'll upset her, let her down and make her leave you.

The authors find that often this is caused by one's childhood. If one has a nurturing relationship with their parents growing up, where they're celebrated and encouraged to be themselves, they're more likely to have a two-person relationship. However, if one of the parents is "the important parent" as the authors say, it can easily lead to a person who ends up in one-person relationships. This "important parent" is much like an "important significant other" - they demand your time, they get angry when you let them down and they refuse to allow you to be yourself. The authors speak from experience on this topic - this book stemmed from their own difficulties in relationships that came from these issues.

Following these first two chapters (giving examples of what a one-person relationship is and how growing up affects a person), the rest of the book explains that the only way to overcome this issue and make things better is for you to find out who you are and become your own person. This may be frightening, sure, as it may "ruin" a relationship, but if your own happiness ruins something then it surely wasn't meant to be in the first place!

I found You'll Do Anything For Her to be an excellent starting point for those who take the submissive role in a one-person relationship. I was that person for the longest time, not because of my parents but simply because I felt that I was being selfish to seek out my own happiness in a relationship. Luckily I learned the error of my ways long ago, and have been in a relationship for 8 years with a wonderful partner of a woman instead of simply going along with what someone else wants, and as such I can certainly say this book sums things up incredibly well. It's an odd thing to think that by being the person who always gives in and always does everything to try to make someone else happy, you can actually be the problem. It leads to explosive fights after months or even years, and resentment is impossible to avoid, even though the other person may not even be knowingly doing anything wrong to you.

The format of the book was also rather interesting. The book is only about 70 pages and does a few unique things - the vast majority of sentences are their own paragraph and "yourself" is always written "your self". At first I was worried both of these things would bug me, but making most sentences their own paragraph ended up giving a lot of the book a list format that made it so much easier to focus on each sentence and absorb it. The use of "your self" also makes it so much clearer that you're giving up your SELF by acting that way in a relationship.

I definitely recommend You'll Do Anything For Her for anyone who is in a one-person relationship, no matter which side of it they're on. For a relationship to truly work it takes two people, and these sisters expertly nailed why it's bad and how to get out of it. Because of how short the book is, it's certainly not all-encompassing, but the casual tone and non-scientific, light wording is easy to read and follow along with. The authors also include a good 20 books at the end to continue research, as well as a few different types of therapy for those who have the need for it and the National Domestic Violence Hotline is immediately after the table of contents. I give the book a solid 4 out of 4 stars and never considered giving it anything less. For those who are into men, there's an identical book You'll Do Anything For Him, and because the book always uses "you" as opposed to gender-specific pronouns for the reader, the books are applicable for people of any sexual orientation.

2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This is a much needed read for men and women. There are a lot of people in unhealthy relationships where they sacrifice their all for their partner. They need to realize that it is okay to be a little selfish in a relationship and also before you can be in a relationship with someone else, you need to be in a relationship with yourself. Learn about yourself, spoil yourself and more importantly, love yourself. This sounds like a very good book to read.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Nice one! We all are caught in a relationship which needs commitment. It must be a two-way relationship. This book helps us realize what went wrong along the relationship.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

seems like an interesting and relevant book. Thanks for the great review.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

What I get from the book is that a relationship must be of mutual benefit to the couple. I like that the sisters have used their experience to pen such a resource.The review seems to have captured all that is good in the 70 page book. Another thing new to me is making every sentence stand out as a paragraph; I need to check out this format, and how effective it is.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the wonderful review and your honesty about your own connection with this book. It really sounds like a great, positive read to those who give up a bit too much in order to please their partner. Thank you for sharing, and congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Not my cup of tea, but it sounds like a helpful book for those who need advice on how to improve their relationships. Thank you for sharing and congratulation to the authors for the positive review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Interesting concept, and nice that they've made it non-gender specific.
Thank you for the review.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This sounds like one of those books that everyone in a relationship should read to ensure that it is the healthiest that it can be. It seems like it would be useful for those that are both aware and not aware that they might be in a one-sided relationship. Thanks for the review.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Thanks for the great review. I think many people will learn a lot from this, especially now with so many in this one-sided relationships.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. I think that this book is both interesting and eye opening. I myself was in a couple of one-sided relationships early on in my life. I didn't have a book like this but wish that I had. I did finally get myself into a healthy headspace and therefore a wonderful happy balanced relationship but it took several years. Hopefully this book will help some people to find their balance sooner. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Abdullai Rogers
Currently Reading: Three weeks in spring
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Abdullai Rogers »

Wow,it is an honor to go alone with is book
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like a book that is much needed. Knowing how to have healthy relationships is very important. This book would be a great place to start. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
maybemunieza
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by maybemunieza »

This is the best story ever. Love it so much, its so sweet?
Elizabeth Wangui
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 118

Post by Elizabeth Wangui »

This is a very good book and especially for the partners in their relationship. I therefore congratulate the author.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”