Featured Review: My Dad, My Dog by Sheila Hermel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Featured Review: My Dad, My Dog by Sheila Hermel

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Dad, My Dog" by Sheila Hermel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s not often that you meet someone who changes your life completely. It’s a great feeling when you find someone who can put a smile on your face by just walking into the room. It’s a great feeling to have someone whose very existence brings you a world of comfort and love. Sheila Hermel found that comfort in two individuals; her dad and her dog. In My Dad, My Dog, the author writes a passionate memoir of her memories with her father and her dog, Barney. She writes about the first day her father brought the dog home to her, the parallels between the two and the many life lessons they both gave her.

I was immediately drawn to the book because of the endearing cover. It was a soft and nostalgic image of the author with her father and Barney. When readers read the prologue of the book, it will draw such strong emotions that you’ll literally feel the overwhelming pride and love she has for the titular characters. I knew instantly that this was going to be a great story.

I was impressed by how well the plot flowed in the memoir. We start the story being introduced to the father and learning much about his background and character. The father then introduces the family to Barney, the lovable mixed dog who resembled a golden retriever. Throughout the plot, there is the main plot which spoke of Barney’s integration into the family and more about her father. There was also well placed background history that helped to provide more content to the main story. The background history gave further depth to the characters and gave readers a better understanding of them. One of the most interesting things that the author did in the story was draw many parallels between her father and Barney. She spoke of their kindness, easy-going nature and the hints of sadness they seemed to possess.

Even though it is a memoir, there is a lot that readers can take from this story. My Dad, My Dog is a feel-good story that is so rich in emotions, it’ll have you thinking of your own family. This is also a good story for dog lovers as you read about Barney and all his personality and feelings. Readers can also learn lessons from the author’s father and his many sayings. My favorite was, “You’ll get yours.” This means that everyone will get his or her own happiness in life.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author really took me on an emotional roller coaster. In the story, I felt her happiness, her pride, her optimism and her sadness. She made me want to go and take my dad out to lunch so we could spend time together. She also made me want to get a dog who I could love unconditionally. She teaches readers the lesson that life is short. You need to cherish every moment you can with the ones who hold your heart. I would recommend this book to anyone as it can change your outlook on life. It’ll make you better appreciate life and the ones who are in it.

My Dad, My Dog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a well written book. I love being able to relate to the author. This sounds really fun. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

kandscreeley wrote:Sounds like a well written book. I love being able to relate to the author. This sounds really fun. Thanks!
Thank you for reading! It's definitely a book that will have you wanting to throw a family picnic or something. It has me strongly considering getting a dog because Barney was so cute.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

A good review about a book of warm feelings for a Dad and a pet. Kudos to both the author and the reviewer.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:A good review about a book of warm feelings for a Dad and a pet. Kudos to both the author and the reviewer.
Thank you for reading! :D

Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

I'm such a sap for heartfelt memoirs! Barney reminds me of my own puppy, and I connect with the dad in a strange yet paternal way. But all books try to establish a connection with the reader, and great books do so effortlessly. Thanks for the honest review of such a beautiful novel!
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading! ?

Lhorilyn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lhorilyn »

I guess this story consist of how love is all about an uncondional love towards the dog and the unconditional love of a father to her daughter. A great love that only a father can give.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I love books whereby you become emotionally involved, and from your review I gather that this is one such book. As a huge "daddy's girl", this book is a must read for me. Thank you for your review Amagine.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
hlc85
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hlc85.html
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by hlc85 »

I have recently realized how precious memoirs are and your post has persuaded me to look into another one. As a dog lover, I would eagerly enjoy this story and i am impressed by its high score. The plot seems like it would read as a heart-warming fiction novel, which always makes non-fiction such an enthralling story.
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama
hanuman
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by hanuman »

The book sounds very interesting! It's definitely going on my reading list. I've always been fascinated by memoirs. I love reading about different experiences others have had.
Paull123
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Paull123 »

With this kind of review (A+), I will surely have to read it soon, though it has to wait for some time. Thank you for the review
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading, everyone! ??

walter7
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter7.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by walter7 »

It is good to realy give it all to those who can't let u down like sheila whith her dad and dog...thanks to the auther it's an emotional story
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

It made me remember my dog. When no one else besides you, pet is a great help. Nice review
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”