Official Review: Where Fairy Tales Go by Annette Ross

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Where Fairy Tales Go by Annette Ross

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where Fairy Tales Go" by Annette Ross.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Where Fairy Tales Go by Annette Ross is a memoir about a woman dealing with a serious physical impairment caused during the birth of her second child. An anesthesiologist makes a catastrophic medical error while giving the author an epidural shot. As a result, the author’s legs become paralyzed. She has to adjust to being wheelchair bound, even as she continues to hope she might be able to walk again someday.

The book explores the various physical and emotional effects of this serious injury. The unwavering support of Annette’s husband and father, in particular, helps in countless ways, but the challenges are huge. It’s hard enough being the mother of two young children in the best of circumstances, but taking care of them from a wheelchair is a huge challenge. As overwhelming as this sounds, Annette goes on to have three more children – yes, you heard me, three more children.

I was very moved by this emotionally raw and inspiring book. The subject matter is difficult to read about at times. I am well aware of the risks of having any type of anesthesia, but this book made me think about the real possibility that terrible things can happen during a routine procedure. Women are given epidurals during childbirth and no one thinks twice about it. I will never view local anesthesia in the same way after reading about Annette’s experience.

I quickly became absorbed in this very personal account of the initial pain and shock, and the aftermath – intensive physical therapy and the adjustment to a completely different way of life. I had a “there but for the grace of God, go I” feeling many times while reading. The medical terms are explained in an easy to understand manner, which made the information even scarier. If this could happen to Annette, it could happen to anyone.

The story is well written in a natural, flowing style. It felt like we were old friends chatting over coffee. The descriptions are top-notch; I was able to get a clear picture of everything, whether it was the setting or Annette’s emotional state. Discussions about the author’s religious faith are sprinkled throughout the book and have a more philosophical tone. There is one chapter about Annette finding her biological mother that feels unnecessary and out of place, even though the scenes are interesting.

Annette, her husband Bill and her parents are given clear backstories through childhood reminiscences and the earlier days of her marriage. Bill’s journey throughout the story is fascinating as he copes with the emotional toll of being the primary caregiver, as well as financial and career issues.

One of my favorite parts of the book is the relatable theme about the meaning of home. The author is very attached to the rambling Connecticut house the couple bought shortly before her injury. Due to financial and job issues, the concept of home becomes a frequent topic of discussion.

There are a few noticeable grammatical errors that I found surprising, given the high quality of the writing. There are two words that are incorrectly capitalized in the middle of a sentence, an apostrophe that doesn’t belong, and two instances of missing words (e.g. - “Am I bad mother?” instead of “Am I a bad mother?”). An extra round of editing would easily fix these errors.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a thoughtfully written read that I won’t soon forget. I would recommend it to readers who enjoy memoirs and basically anyone who wants to read a very inspiring book.

Where Fairy Tales Go
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Scary! I heard of several other cases where women became paralyzed due to side effects of epidural shots. It seems like an inspiring book indeed. Thank you for the great and insightful review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali. I never heard of a case like this before. It was a real eye-opener for me.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one great and inspiring book but with a scary subject.Great job on the review. Congratulations to Annette Ross on such an obviously well written book.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like one great and inspiring book but with a scary subject.Great job on the review. Congratulations to Annette Ross on such an obviously well written book.
Thanks Kimmyschemy. I was very impressed with the author's writing and would definitely read future books by her.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. What a sad thing to happen. I haven't heard of a woman being paralyzed due to an epidural. I can't even imagine. Sounds like a very inspiring book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Kandscreely, I was almost in shock when I read the first few chapters. It was one of those things that you never think will happen.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Wow! I have never heard this subject treated before in a book. Sounds like an incredible story that I would likely not read without tears. Thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Greenstripedgiraffe for taking the time to read my review and leave a comment. I was so impressed by the way the author moved forward in her life despite her injury.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

It is a heavy burden on the part of the family members if one members is suffering from an illness. It is more hurtful if this is caused by the negligence of another person.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:It is a heavy burden on the part of the family members if one members is suffering from an illness. It is more hurtful if this is caused by the negligence of another person.
It's very true that the entire family is affected when one person has an illness or disability. In this case, the author's husband became very stressed out.
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Sounds like an inspiring story. Thanks for the great review.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:Sounds like an inspiring story. Thanks for the great review.
Thanks for the nice feedback. This story really stayed with me and made me wonder how the author is doing currently.
Marika Tabone
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marika-tabone.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Marika Tabone »

This review was very good. A colleague of mine had a first hand experience of an epidural injection gone wrong and although she was not left paralysed she was deeply traumatised. It must take a very strong woman to go through such an experience and still go on to have another three children.
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

This sounds like a scary, but interesting story. Thanks!
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”