Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Grief Helpline by Vernessa Blackwell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: The Grief Helpline by Vernessa Blackwell

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 22 Mar 2017, 14:22

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Grief Helpline" by Vernessa Blackwell.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

The Grief Helpline: Restoring Your Joy After Experiencing a Personal Loss by Vernessa Blackwell is a non-fiction, self-help book. The book opens with details about the author’s personal experience with loss and continues on with two self-help sections. Part One, “Grief Recovery,” deals with the many emotions one experiences immediately after the loss of a loved one. Topics discussed in this part include shock and denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Part Two, “Joy Restoration,” focuses on the healing journey. The focus in this section is not merely to feel better and return to normalcy, but to find true joy in moving forward. Setting goals and taking steps to achieve goals and dreams are predominant themes in this portion of the book.

The book is written as a day by day work book; each day includes a daily thought, prayer, bible verse, and challenge. The daily portions are short enough to read that they can easily be included in your daily routine. Though I read the book in one sitting (it is a fairly short read), I found each daily thought, verse, prayer and challenge to be unique, thought provoking and inspiring. The daily challenges especially interested me. Types of challenges include writing exercises, meditation and breathing exercises, and performing small tasks outside of your comfort zone.

The author’s personal story is inspiring all on its own. It is clear, the author has dealt with loss throughout her life. Further, she served as a soldier for her country before finding her true calling as a grief counselor and joy restoration coach. Throughout the daily entries, the author includes small tidbits from her own experience which makes the book seem credible and further gives the book personality and voice. Unlike other self-help books, this one feels like a one on one conversation with the author. I felt I really got to know a lot about the author’s beliefs and attitudes while reading The Grief Helpline.

This book has a strong focus on God and the Bible and thus may not appeal to all readers. If you are someone who has recently experienced loss or are having difficulty dealing with less recent loss and either want to find God or expand your current relationship with God, I highly recommend this book. The author’s words and the daily prayers and activities are not only comforting, but they will help you focus on acceptance and healing when struggling through difficult times.

At only 134 pages, The Grief Helpline can easily be read in one sitting; however, this book works better as day to day encouragement for those on the road to healing after a significant loss. The healing process will not happen overnight and The Grief Helpline will be a comforting and eye-opening companion for those working towards joy restoration. For the many reasons stated above, I happily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Grief Helpline
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Fresh Passion" by Michael D. Brown
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 160%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Grief Helpline by Vernessa Blackwel

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 23 Mar 2017, 11:57

I saw this one on the review page. I thought about reviewing it myself. This is something that is always helpful as there is always someone out there with a recent loss. Sounds like a good book. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "CBD Made Easy!" by Mary Minchin
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: The Maid of Salerno
Bookshelf Size: 58 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#3 by Shelle
» 24 Mar 2017, 22:54

Great review! You did an excellent job explaining what the book is all about. This sounds like a good resource for those who are grieving. I'll remember to recommend this one to friends as the need arises.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Shelle

Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 46 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 18%

Post Number:#4 by MarisaRose
» 26 Mar 2017, 12:46

kandscreeley wrote:I saw this one on the review page. I thought about reviewing it myself. This is something that is always helpful as there is always someone out there with a recent loss. Sounds like a good book. Thanks for the review.

I agree, books like this are always relevant. Thanks for taking the time to read my review :)

-- 26 Mar 2017, 12:46 --

Shelle wrote:Great review! You did an excellent job explaining what the book is all about. This sounds like a good resource for those who are grieving. I'll remember to recommend this one to friends as the need arises.

Thank you for the kind words! I definitely recommend it as a resource for anyone struggling with loss. :)
MarisaRose

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by kimmyschemy06
» 27 Mar 2017, 10:47

Sounds like a very inspiring and helpful book. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Vernessa Blackwell on such an apparently well written book.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: The Deep Well of Time
Bookshelf Size: 313 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 50%

Post Number:#6 by MarisaRose
» 30 Mar 2017, 07:17

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very inspiring and helpful book. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Vernessa Blackwell on such an apparently well written book.

Thank you for the kind words! I think this book could be used as a great resource for many. :)
MarisaRose

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page