Official Review: Gone with the wind he said

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Gone with the wind he said

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gone with the wind he said" by Michael I. Darter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Gone with the Wind,” He Said by Michael I. Darter is a non-fiction book that details the author’s search for his missing-in-action (MIA) brother, Eugene. A soldier in WWII, Eugene vanished during his first bombing mission over Germany. Michael, Eugene’s brother and the author of this book, was only a baby when he met his brother. However, Eugene’s presence within the Darter family lived on long after he was declared MIA and later KIA by the government. For Michael, the necessity to know of his brother’s fate was an ever present and growing idea in the back of his mind. Then, in 2000, a simple internet search on Eugene’s birthday led to the beginning of Michael’s journey to uncover the story of his big brother’s final moments.

“Gone with the Wind,” He Said is an incredibly compelling read. From the beginning, this book has a Hollywood-like, cinematic feel. The author’s introduction to Eugene and the fateful events surrounding the airman’s disappearance are both eerie and exciting. With the help of official documentation, including operational mission reports, and the firsthand accounts of some of Eugene’s crewmates, the author manages to piece together, in great detail, the last few hours of Eugene’s life. I greatly enjoyed following along on this journey.

The book is very well researched and adequately cited; it could easily be used as a resource for anyone wanting to know more about the subject of MIA soldiers and various ongoing searches. Further, the author utilizes pictures throughout the narrative, bringing a true sense of realism to the story. Putting a face with all the names of the crew that accompanied Eugene gave their stories life as well. The sections detailing the conversations with crewmates and family members that the author was able to contact, as well as the details about the other MIA crewmates were just as captivating as Eugene’s story. This book is as much about them as it is about Eugene and I applaud the author for highlighting their stories as well.

Though this book moves along rather quickly, there were sections that felt slow or repetitive. There is a wealth of history and specific detail within the narrative and though many of these sections were important in setting the scene to enhance context, they were written in a rather dry manner.

Overall I greatly enjoyed “Gone with the Wind,” He Said mostly because it is not just the story of one man’s search for closure; it is a story of hope and a tale of the many soldiers who have served their country. Though this book is not without flaws, the overall themes and the relationships the author gains while piecing together Eugene’s final moments make this book heartfelt and riveting. I gladly rate “Gone with the Wind,” He Said 4 out of 4 stars and recommend this book to anyone interested in this time period as well as those in similar situations seeking hope.

Gone with the wind he said
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can only imagine what it would be like to have a relative MIA. To never have that closure. Sounds like a pretty good book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

@kandscreeley the author's story about his personal search was truly uplifting. Definitely worth a read :)
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

Wow! The fact that this book is so deeply personal to the author, but also well written and researched makes it sound like a great read. Thanks for reviewing.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

What an incredible and agonizing journey for the author to share. I cannot begin to imagine being in the shoes of the family of someone who is MIA. Or even worse, being MIA.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

jhollan2 wrote:Wow! The fact that this book is so deeply personal to the author, but also well written and researched makes it sound like a great read. Thanks for reviewing.
Thank you for reading my review! The author's personal stake in the matter definitely makes the writing passionate and his journey incredibly interesting. I highly recommend you give this one a try! :tiphat:

-- 28 Mar 2017, 10:41 --
CatInTheHat wrote:What an incredible and agonizing journey for the author to share. I cannot begin to imagine being in the shoes of the family of someone who is MIA. Or even worse, being MIA.
I also could not have imagined what it would be like to have an MIA relative, but the author does a wonderful job painting a picture of the lifelong void left in his life which ultimately motivated him to begin his search and later write this book.
Henry Kaisemutala
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-kaisemutala.html

Post by Henry Kaisemutala »

Indeed I will be watching a real movie. I sounds amazing and historical.Great Author!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”