Official Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked? A Refreshing Reexamination of the Garden of Eden is a thought-provoking analysis of the nature of sin by Reverend William E. Combs. In this book, Reverend Combs takes the reader back to the Garden of Eden to dissect how sin came into the world, and how faith in Jesus Christ is the only way to combat this "enemy crouching at the door."

To begin, I'll risk stating the obvious fact that this is a nonfiction Christian book. I would only recommend this book to Christians, or at least those who have studied the Bible. The content focuses heavily upon the Book of Genesis (again, I'm stating the obvious), but also draws quite a bit from Paul's epistles and other portions of Scripture.

One of the main points of this book is that Christians need to reexamine the popular notion of sin, which is typically perceived as a laundry list of misdeeds that can be overcome by simply committing them less often. Reverend Combs shatters this misconception (and a few others) by using specific examples from the Bible to back up his points. Additionally, he provides detailed fictional accounts of what life may have been like for Adam, Eve, and others that help the reader understand them on a more personal level. Christians with a more orthodox viewpoint might balk at these stories, but I personally found them to be helpful and enjoyable.

The ending of each chapter contains a list of questions that recap the main points. In addition to reinforcing the information, these questions could also be great discussion starters, making this book an excellent choice for a group Bible study.

I also enjoyed reading the many personal testimonies that Reverend Combs provided as practical examples of Scripture. Some of them painted beautiful scenes in my head (Reverend Combs grew up in Alaska), while others were downright frightening, but all of them were relevant to the specific points that they emphasized.

The writing within this book is quite good, and free of major errors. However, the font changed several times throughout the book, which I did find a little strange. I only have one true criticism of this book, however, and it is a little difficult to explain. Several times, Reverend Combs provides insight that doesn't have a specific Biblical backing. I cannot give examples without including spoilers, but I can best describe these insights as educated guesses. They are logical and they do not contradict the Bible, but there isn't any solid evidence to back them up, either. Of course, I do realize that Reverend Combs is far more knowledgeable of the Bible that I am, so perhaps this perception is due to my own lack of expertise.

I found the content of Who Told You That You Were Naked? to be both interesting and insightful, and I award it 4 out of 4 stars. This is an excellent book for the Christian reader who wishes to study the Book of Genesis in more detail.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like a fairly interesting book. I'm curious to find out what Reverend Combs would say that sin actually is. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds like a fairly interesting book. I'm curious to find out what Reverend Combs would say that sin actually is. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for reading my review! It is an interesting book!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
nontsikelelo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nontsikelelo »

its quiet an interesting book taking me back to my school days doing bibs I think its
not only for Christians but also for those who are a bit lazy to read the bible I like this book
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

nontsikelelo wrote:its quiet an interesting book taking me back to my school days doing bibs I think its
not only for Christians but also for those who are a bit lazy to read the bible I like this book
Thanks for reading my review. I wouldn't recommend this book to people who are not familiar with the Bible. It might be a bit intimidating for them! However, someone who hasn't cracked open a Bible in a long time could benefit from this book, as long as they have a basic understanding of the referenced material.
Lucy Kelly
Currently Reading: The Brendan Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-kelly.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Lucy Kelly »

Thank you for this review. I considered reading and reviewing this, but had reservations for the precise reason you stated--that I really didn't want to read a rather long book of someone's interpretation of sin. I am sure I would find it interesting, but not really to read in a manner worthy of making a decent review. I consider myself fairly Bible-literate, but prefer to read a trusted source.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Lucy Kelly wrote:Thank you for this review. I considered reading and reviewing this, but had reservations for the precise reason you stated--that I really didn't want to read a rather long book of someone's interpretation of sin. I am sure I would find it interesting, but not really to read in a manner worthy of making a decent review. I consider myself fairly Bible-literate, but prefer to read a trusted source.
I certainly understand what you mean. Thanks for reading my review!
peaceremain
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by peaceremain »

Is a interesting book .Thank you for the review ,in love whit this book!!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

peaceremain wrote:Is a interesting book .Thank you for the review ,in love whit this book!!
Thanks!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great intriguing read. I'm particularly interested in Rev. Combs's take on sin which is, apparently, contrary to popular notion. Great job on the review. Congratulations to William Combs on such a high rating.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a great intriguing read. I'm particularly interested in Rev. Combs's take on sin which is, apparently, contrary to popular notion. Great job on the review. Congratulations to William Combs on such a high rating.
Rev. Combs' take on sin is definitely uncommon! But that's what is so refreshing about this book. Thanks for reading my review!
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

We reflect and discern. Misunderstanding on the written scriptures may lead to misunderstandind. This misunderstanding of the scriptures leads to the birth of fundamentalists and extremists.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:We reflect and discern. Misunderstanding on the written scriptures may lead to misunderstandind. This misunderstanding of the scriptures leads to the birth of fundamentalists and extremists.
Sadly, what you say is very true. There is quite a bit of Biblical misunderstanding among believers :cry:
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I had considered reviewing this book myself, but I thought I would get around to it after the one that I had chosen. I guess you beat me to it lol. Personally though, I thank you for reviewing this book. It actually sounds very interesting to me because I have been quite fascinated with the Garden of Eden lately. I will definitely check this book out.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Nice review! The idea of our good outweighing our bad is definitely a flawed one based upon what God's Word tells us. If that were the case, Jesus wouldn't have had to come and die for sinners in the first place! God has His standard, and we all fall short of it because of that sin. This sounds like an interesting book to read to see how the author portrays all of this. Really great job on the review!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”