Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Kids Kids Kids by Marlene L Burns

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: Kids Kids Kids by Marlene L Burns

Post Number:#1 by psychopathycathy
» 15 Mar 2017, 20:27

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kids Kids Kids" by Marlene L Burns.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by psychopathycathy
Share This Review

Kids Kids Kids by Marlene Burns is essentially a memoir that follows her journey as a foster parent of over a hundred children in the span of thirty years. It is a book about love, life, and security, and she describes her story through short chapters, tidbits of her life that begin with the arrival of her first foster child and end with her last five. Several chapters cover nostalgic memories that she has with her children, and the book is scattered with photos, documents, and notes from her children that bring the story even more to life.

I very much enjoyed the formatting of the book; although the chapters were short, I felt like I could really understand the characters' personalities through the scenes and pictures that the author shows us. It was touching to see how open and kind the author was and how she connected with all her children. Kids Kids Kids also illustrated the different background that each child had, and we were able to watch them grow within the span of a few paragraphs. The book had a lot of ups and downs; there were fun, playful chapters, but also ones that were heartbreaking and serious, allowing for a great balance.

One part of this book that really stood out to me was the letters from Burns' children that were scattered throughout the book. It was refreshing and intriguing to view the story from a different point of view. I also thought they helped enhance the reader's understanding of the long-lasting connection between the children and parents.

A negative criticism I have is regarding the writing style. The writing was a little awkward and overly simple, and I thought there was too much "tell", not enough "show". Because of this, it sometimes felt like the author was simply listing out physical occurrences, and there was a lot of potential depth that I felt was not explored. I would have liked to see the author extend her writings further into the psychological realm or into the emotional connections she created, which would have helped give the story even more life. Due to these reasons, I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Personally, I've never known what to exactly think of becoming a foster parent. It does sound like something I'd like to do, but at the same time it seems scarily temporary and so fleeting. This book really allowed me to understand the depth of the word "family", and it showed that the memories were permanent. The relationships and connections you make really do last a lifetime. I would recommend this for people who enjoy reading memoirs, or simply for anyone who was interested in the topic; it was a very insightful and thought-provoking read.

Kids Kids Kids
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like psychopathycathy's review? Post a comment saying so!
psychopathycathy's Latest Review: "Kids Kids Kids" by Marlene L Burns
psychopathycathy

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1321 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Kids Kids Kids by Marlene L Burns

Post Number:#2 by Asifjamali83
» 17 Mar 2017, 03:40

Hope it will be gone viral
Asifjamali83

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#3 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 17 Mar 2017, 08:03

wow - this is a fascinating topic. sounds like a good glimpse into foster care, the joys and sorrows, the good and the bad. I've always wanted to do this, but am not in a situation that could. Thank you for your review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
greenstripedgiraffe

Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 207 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 17 Mar 2017, 08:18

I can only imagine the stories she has to tell, the ups and downs. Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: The Maid of Salerno
Bookshelf Size: 54 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 41%

Post Number:#5 by MarisaRose
» 18 Mar 2017, 09:54

Great job on the review! This sounds like a fascinating read just based on the topic. I'm glad the author decided to share her experiences through this book. Too bad the writing seemed a little simple at times - that could definitely be bothersome. Great job on the review :)
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "A Handful of Destiny" by Tony Nash
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 156%

Post Number:#6 by Oanaread
» 19 Mar 2017, 21:37

It sounds like a delicate subject to deal with. I'm interested in fostering myself so it seems like a good book to read. Thank you for reviewing it.
Oanaread

Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by Shreyoshi Sen
» 19 Mar 2017, 22:56

Very nice review. But I don't really read such stories. Thanks for the review anyways.
Shreyoshi Sen's Latest Review: "A Tree Called Morality" by Michael Tsaphah
Shreyoshi Sen

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 180 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#8 by Elaine5
» 20 Mar 2017, 06:08

I love be reading non fiction, but I have had similar experiences to what you describe here. Authors sometimes describe events very well but they miss the emotions and self examination that we are looking for when we read such memoirs. Thanks for your review.
Elaine5's Latest Review: "You Don't know Jack" by Don Ross
Elaine5

Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 43 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by shazia ahmed hussain
» 22 Mar 2017, 13:23

wow - this is a fascinating topic.Sounds like an interesting book.thanks
shazia ahmed hussain