Official Review: Sketches of a Life by Enrique Kuperman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Official Review: Sketches of a Life by Enrique Kuperman

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sketches of a Life" by Enrique Kuperman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sketches of a Life by Enrique Kuperman is a non-fiction story. The author narrates his life in three different worlds. He shares his life as a Jew in a Christian country. He describes his life as a stranger in his nation. He shares how he spends the last chapter of his life as a migrant in the land of milk and honey. This book keeps you awake the whole night not because it is scary but because you are compelled to finish it. The topsy-turvy journey of Kuperman leads us to places unknown, to pains and hurts unimagined and ideas unfathomable.

“Growing up Jewish in Chile” is his opening chapter. Growing up in a place with different culture brings confusion, envy, and suffering to the author and his family. He describes how his family reached the place and how the family copes with differences in culture. Everybody can relate to this because every family encounters different kinds of challenges.

“Closing the Circle” chapter tells us about the travel of the author with his lovely wife. The couple suffered from many types of corruption while treading the path to nationalism. Despite the negative encounters with his comrades, he still sees the joy of being a Jew. This reminds me of the saying, “We must learn how to deal with people we don’t like because most of the people we meet are the people we dislike.”

“Kibbutz” chapter brings us to Israeli communities. I learned from a book that the kibbutz is very symbolic to Israelis. The kibbutz illuminates unity, love, and peace. The author has his share of troubles with kibbutz. Nothing is perfect in this world.

“Melting Pot” chapter gives us an idea how Kuperman and his family struggled as they searched for a friendlier environment. He said that immigration is the engine of progress in many societies but the price of immigration is only for those who have courage. I agree to this because countries are facing migration crisis.

“Open Wounds” chapter gives us a glimpse of the unimagined practice of human trafficking. It also focuses our attention on the story of Ruben, the firstborn of Mr. Rabinovitz who joined the revolutionary movement. His brother Efrain was captured in exchange of him.

The last three chapters give us the inspiring message that courage, perseverance, and faith pay a lot. Kuperman’s family surpassed unimaginable challenges brought by the cruelty of the world. It takes generations to heal the wounds. Efforts from both the Palestinians and the Jews are needed to attain peace.

I rate Sketches of a Life by Enrique Kuperman 4 out of 4 stars because of its richness. What I admire in this book is its intent of retelling the story of the past not to destroy other cultures or brainwash the future Israelis but to educate them about what causes hatred and war.

This book serves as the nexus between past, present and future generations. I recommend this book to students, academicians, freedom fighters and to those who wanted to know what happened to the survivors of unending war in the Promised Land. I just want to warn the readers because the author sometimes jumps from one incident to the other which may confuse them.

Sketches of a Life
View: on Bookshelves

Like Donnavila Marie01's review? Post a comment saying so!
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

Very nice review. This book looks like interesting because readers may gain knowledge and lessons from the book.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Donnavila Marie01

Thanks much michel. I hope you will find time to read it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love books that compel me to keep reading. I love having a book that I can't put down, so that I have to read through the night. Glad this one did that for you. It does sound quite inspiring. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

What a timely book, as we seem to be in a time period where people are "scared" of different cultures that are different than their own.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
MaricelBaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Communist Manifesto</a>
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by MaricelBaby »

This book allows me to reflect with all the significant transitions of life in the past. As I've read the review I was quite startled with the situation that had undergone by Sir Enrique Kuperman. This book is indeed very compelling. Moreover, this is the repercussions of life during the past that all of us has its own experiences and vicissitudes in life which should always be embraced and learn lessons from it.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Thank you for a very honest review! The author's frequent skips may be a bit confusing but seeing as how you enjoyed this book, I think I'll give this book a try.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Donnavila Marie01

kandscreeley wrote:I love books that compel me to keep reading. I love having a book that I can't put down, so that I have to read through the night. Glad this one did that for you. It does sound quite inspiring. Thanks for the review.
Thank you so much. This is indeed an inspiring book. It sends us to alls sides of the universe. Happy reading.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Wow this sounds like a really moving and inspiring story! I'm glad this one kept you up all night; I know the feeling and thoroughly enjoy being so immersed in a book. Great job on the review :tiphat:
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

I think I would love this story. Through your review, I had an insight that this would inspire and motivate me a lot. I also think that the skips won't affect my understanding of the story. Congrats for a good review!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a one great and inspiring book. The 'jumps from one incident to the other' may be a little vexing for me but it seems like something I can get used to. Good job on the review. Congratulations to Enrique Kuperman on such a high rating.
Donnavila Marie01

Thanks so much. I am inviting everyone to grab a copy of this book.

-- 30 Mar 2017, 23:43 --
kandscreeley wrote:I love books that compel me to keep reading. I love having a book that I can't put down, so that I have to read through the night. Glad this one did that for you. It does sound quite inspiring. Thanks for the review.
Books like this keeps me going because it unravels the complexities of life.

-- 30 Mar 2017, 23:45 --
This book introduces us to people with different role in life.

-- 30 Mar 2017, 23:46 --
hailvilla18 wrote:I think I would love this story. Through your review, I had an insight that this would inspire and motivate me a lot. I also think that the skips won't affect my understanding of the story. Congrats for a good review!
Thanks much. Please grab a copy of this story.

-- 30 Mar 2017, 23:49 --
MaricelBaby wrote:This book allows me to reflect with all the significant transitions of life in the past. As I've read the review I was quite startled with the situation that had undergone by Sir Enrique Kuperman. This book is indeed very compelling. Moreover, this is the repercussions of life during the past that all of us has its own experiences and vicissitudes in life which should always be embraced and learn lessons from it.
Students in the field of social sciences must have a copy of this book because there are some things which they need to learn and to unlearn.
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html

Post by hailvilla18 »

This book seems very detailed. From reading your book review alone, I can see how the author led a difficult life as a stranger in his own land. Congratulations for a job well done!
Donnavila Marie01

hailvilla18 wrote:I think I would love this story. Through your review, I had an insight that this would inspire and motivate me a lot. I also think that the skips won't affect my understanding of the story. Congrats for a good review!
Find time to read this book. This is also a good source of inspiration for the whole family. The Kuperman family stood on their ground together despite the tragedies they witnessed.

-- 15 Jun 2017, 05:17 --
This book is really inspiring. The characters have the courage and strength unimaginable.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”