Official Review: A Bucket of Warm Water by Heather Allen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Official Review: A Bucket of Warm Water by Heather Allen

Post by Elaine5 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Bucket of Warm Water" by Heather Allen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Bucket of Warm Water is the story of the author and her husband's four year stay in the small African village of Dungu, Zaire. They are Canadians who were working for an NGO funded primarily by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA). Brendan worked as a medical transport pilot and Heather (Carole) as an English teacher.

Carole and Brendan had grown children and a content life in British Columbia when the opportunity to work in Zaire presented itself. They were ready for adventure and prepared to embrace an opportunity to improve their French language skills and make a contribution. The author caught my attention in the foreward when she wrote "What we couldn’t possibly appreciate was how deeply we would grow to love the people, how much we would learn in four short years, and how utterly grateful we would become for the experience." The book is a beautifully written memoir of that experience and that foreshadowing was one of many that highlighted the delightful unpredictability that life often brings. Our expectations are often surpassed and moments that seem small or insignificant can be life changing in retrospect. These truths came through loud and clear.

The author gently and insightfully writes about politics, disease, education (or lack of) for women, poverty, corruption and war through her own personal experiences in Zaire. When they first arrive in 1989, things are relatively stable in and around Dungu. This allows them to comfortably settle into village life and adjust to their new world. As time goes on, the political situation in Zaire and surrounding countries becomes less and less stable, creating situations that an average Canadian could hardly imagine. After buying green tomatoes from a young boy so that he could buy malaria medication, the author wrote "I longed for the security of Canada where children didn’t go hungry and mothers didn’t search every day for almost enough food to feed their family."

The writing is introspective, contrasting the Canadian and African cultures as lived by Carole and Brendon. The sense of community and generosity in Dungu versus the individual nature of North American culture stood out as a theme. Even the poorest families in Dungu welcomed refugees fleeing looting and riots in larger cities. If a guest was at the table, he was generously fed, even if it meant going without tomorrow. Other contrasts were also highlighted such as the reality and closeness of death versus our somewhat removed, antiseptic view of it. Another was the life and death nature of politics as opposed to it being "a mere abstraction to be debated over dinner."

The reader also gets to know others who live in Dungu through Carole's relationships. She makes meaningful connections and I enjoyed reading about her friendships. It was obvious that she came to love and care for several people as family. It was also wonderful to learn about some of the traditions and beliefs of this very different culture. For example, when a man drowned in the river, the community gathered to sing and light fires to entice the water spirits to return the body to them.

Unfortunately, there are several errors in the book that did detract from my enjoyment of it. One error that was found repeatedly seemed to be a formatting error where a new paragraph was started mid sentence. I also noted some missing words and typing errors.

Overall, I found this to be a beautiful book about a very human, life changing experience. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys memoirs and stories of personal growth. I would particularly recommend it to anyone with an interest in international aid. The errors in the book force me to deduct a star and rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

A Bucket of Warm Water
View: on Bookshelves

Like Elaine5's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's always enlightening to learn about another culture especially one such as this. It sounds like the author did a good job in the treatment of the subject even with the few errors. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This sounds like a wonderful memoir. It is wise to learn about other cultures, as it helps one become a more whole person. We can't all travel to the different countries, so a good memoir like this helps expand horizons. Thanks for the review! :tiphat:
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

Yes, it is a wonderful memoir and it was a wonderful way to learn about another culture. Enlightening indeed! Thank you both for your comments.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like an interesting memoir. It is great when one can learn about other cultures through the book. Too about the errors, though. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

Definitely interesting! Thanks for commenting.
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

Thank you very much for this review! This sounds like a wonderful book to read. You mentioned that,"the author gently and insightfully writes about politics,disease,education(or lack of) for women, poverty, corruption, and war...". After having heard in vivid detail of the atrocities in different countries, I worry about how detailed stories of war are for the more sensitive readers of this book. It sounds like a wonderful story of an amazing couple's life.
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

The book does describe real and disturbing situations related to war but not with graphic violence or bloody detail. It's not the gasp worthy descriptions that I have read in some books which is why I described it as "gentle". It really is a wonderful book.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I love to learn about African culture and this seems like a great book to read. Too bad, though, about the errors. Good job on the review.
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

Thanks for your comments. I would recommend it in spite of the errors.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The constrast of the two cultures sounds very interesting. It's a shame about the formatting errors. I also read a book a few months ago that had several incorrect paragraph breaks in the middle of senteces. It was maddening!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

Thanks bookowlie! It is very interesting indeed.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Carole's introspection of the environment she's in when she shifts from her English teaching job to the African village sounds like it's worth reading. It's been a while since I've sampled a work that concerned conflicts in an African country, so this will definitely be intriguing. I look forward to reading this based on your thorough review.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This is one of those things that perhaps a lot of people dream of doing but either never get the opportunity or simply never take it for a variety of reasons. Maybe this book will encourage others to help out those of need or, at the very least, highlight some of the conditions that we tend to ignore as North Americans. Thanks for the review.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I agree with Scerakor. Many people wants to help but sometimes fear or just lack of motivation keeps them from taking that step. Going to a foreign country to volunteer is very rewarding. We could learn from the author about the life lessons she gained during their stay in Africa.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”