Official Review: From Coldwar Communism to the Global Ema...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Official Review: From Coldwar Communism to the Global Ema...

Post by James Craft »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Coldwar Communism to the Global Emancipatory Movement" by peter waterman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Coldwar Communism to the Global Emancipatory Movement by Peter Waterman is a historical biography of the life of one man through a number of important historical events. It felt as much like a biography of one man’s life across some of the most significant events of the last seventy years as it did a documentary of the events themselves. It was incredibly interesting seeing just how involved this man was in a lot of activist actions around the world on behalf of the British government.

The book starts in Britain accounting the earlier years of the author as a Jewish, middle-class communist and then details out his travels and life in Czechoslovakia, Prague, Birmingham, Florence, Mumbai, Nairobi, and countless other destinations that show this man to be a well-traveled activist. He has been involved in some enormous events in history, and his take on such events was both interesting and thought-provoking to read.

The narrative itself is written in a clear and easy to understand style and is littered throughout with historical references of what is happening around the author and the world during the times he is discussing. There were also pictures scattered throughout the text that helped drive home that this is an autobiography and not fiction and that all of this really happened. The discussion of Nigeria and he author’s personal development in the far reaches of the world was particularly compelling.

It wasn’t without its flaws, however, and some sections grew a little bit tedious in their description of what was happening. This doesn’t happen very often, but it does make the book laborious at times. However, this is a forgivable offense because usually the author is attempting to add more historical information under the assumption that the reader doesn’t know anything about the events he is talking about. For many readers, this could be invaluable, and in fact sections that I knew nothing about before reading this volume felt rather well explained.

I will also mention that the cover of the book isn’t as compelling as it could be. It uses a picture taken by the author, so I understand the desire to include it, but I feel that it would have been better served inside the volume with a professional cover that is easier to read. It isn’t something that seriously harms the book itself, but considering how excellent the text is it would be worthwhile to have a better cover.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit and found the narrative easy to follow and incredibly well put together. I will rate it 4 out of 4 stars because of the quality of the writing and the events being depicted in this man’s life. For anyone interested in history—and, in particular, recent history—will find From Coldwar Communism to the Global Emancipatory Movement by Peter Waterman to be a brilliant account of the life of an activist and world traveler over the span of many decades.

From Coldwar Communism to the Global Emancipatory Movement
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like James Craft's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that you enjoyed this book. I don't think it's really for me, but it sounds like it's a good read if you are really interested in history. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
pwaterman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pwaterman »

Oh dear! In no possible way did the author carry out a 'lot of activist actions around the world on behalf of the British government'. Rather despite the British government and world capitalism. And in so far as he could be considered to have acted on behalf of one or more Communist governments, such ended with the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia, 1968.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

So much has happened in the recent past that has shaped our world as it is today. Intriguing to see some of these events through an eye witness account!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

pwaterman wrote:Oh dear! In no possible way did the author carry out a 'lot of activist actions around the world on behalf of the British government'. Rather despite the British government and world capitalism. And in so far as he could be considered to have acted on behalf of one or more Communist governments, such ended with the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia, 1968.
An apt representation, though like the US one of the things about Western culture in particular is the double way in which it handles things, using both the carrot and the stick in all dealings so that it can be the hero and the bully at the same time.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I also love to read stories regarding what happened before because it reminds me of the people who walked before us.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:I also love to read stories regarding what happened before because it reminds me of the people who walked before us.
I agree completely and this was definitely a really great book. A an interesting life to read about.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”