Official Review: Ad Majorem by Tom Beattie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Ad Majorem by Tom Beattie

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ad Majorem" by Tom Beattie.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ad Majorem: A Gay Man’s Spiritual Testament is a partly sarcastic, partly funny but moving book written by Tom Beattie.

Ad Majorem (Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam which means 'for God’s greater glory') features two very important men, St. Ignatius of Loyola and the book author himself, Tom Beattie, told in parallel accounts.

Ignatius, whose given name was Iñigo, was born in 1491 in the Basque Country of northern Spain, to a wealthy family. After a brief and unpromising position in court, Ignatius entered the military where he got injured and was sent home. During his period of convalescence, Ignatius found his way to God.

On a different note, the author felt early on that he could possibly be gay. After reading a life-changing book by Dr. George Weinberg, Society and the Healthy Homosexual, he decided to embrace his gayness and lived at peace with himself amidst a society that believed homosexuality was morally and socially wrong.

By presenting the life of the saint whom he admired, idolized and whose examples he tried to emulate, the author comes up with a beautiful tribute to St. Ignatius of Loyola and a very interesting, funny, amusing and entertaining book about a gay man, his faith in GOD and a glimpse of his life as a member of the LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning) community, which is made easier by the presence of his husband by his side. He starts by admitting that he wanted to live a normal heterosexual life but eventually gave in and chose to be true to himself with ardent belief that God loves him for what he is just as much as He loves everyone else.

The book is written in a casual tone that makes it sound like the author is just sitting right beside you and talking to a friend. I find his sarcasm, which is probably meant to sting intended targets, funny and liberating. The bible verses he inserts in his narrative give emphasis on the points he is trying to get across and, I believe, just as powerful as the verses read in church.

There is a part of the book I find particularly moving, that is when the author mentions being not welcome to communion during Mass because he is considered unworthy. However, by mentioning the hate crime victim Matthew Shepard and the dishonorable discharge of Sgt. Leonard Matlovich, the author shows the extent of disrespect, discrimination and prejudice against LGBTQ.

All in all, this is a well written and well-referenced book that also shares important lessons and food for thought, my favorite being ‘being manly and courageous meant being true to yourself and to God’s unique plan for you.’ Despite that, however, this book may not be for readers who are not very accepting of gay people and same-sex relationships.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is interesting, funny, entertaining and inspiring, and I recommend it to all LGBTQ and to those who love and support them.

Ad Majorem
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

Your review is very informative and makes it seem like this book would be a very interesting read. I believe everyone should respect others as they would want to be respected themselves. It seems like reading this book would be enlightening for people who don't understand what it might be like for people in the LGBTQ community. I like that the author wrote with humor because it seems like that would help in keeping the subject from being too intense, but still getting the ideas across.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Amheiser wrote:Your review is very informative and makes it seem like this book would be a very interesting read. I believe everyone should respect others as they would want to be respected themselves. It seems like reading this book would be enlightening for people who don't understand what it might be like for people in the LGBTQ community. I like that the author wrote with humor because it seems like that would help in keeping the subject from being too intense, but still getting the ideas across.
Thank you very much. Yes, it is very interesting. Not preachy or accusing, just true which makes it a very touching book for me.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Great job on the review! I really like how the author took a series topic and tried to add some humor as well as a unique spin to the story. I think I would enjoy this book; it doesn't really sound like anything I've ever read before!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

MarisaRose wrote:Great job on the review! I really like how the author took a series topic and tried to add some humor as well as a unique spin to the story. I think I would enjoy this book; it doesn't really sound like anything I've ever read before!
Thank you very much. It's one great book. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Humor makes the world go around. Sounds interesting, but not something I would normally read. Thanks for the review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote:Humor makes the world go around. Sounds interesting, but not something I would normally read. Thanks for the review though.
You're welcome!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review for what sounds like a very honest and moving story. I like that the author added some humor to balance the serious subject matter.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review for what sounds like a very honest and moving story. I like that the author added some humor to balance the serious subject matter.
Thank you very much. I can almost imagine the author to be a funny, smart, unpretentious and compassionate person through his book :)
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This sounds really interesting. I've always loved to read books about characters and their journey in self discovery. In this case the character is a man on a path to accept his homosexuality. I've always enjoyed reading about people coming to terms with who they really are. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

CrescentMoon wrote:This sounds really interesting. I've always loved to read books about characters and their journey in self discovery. In this case the character is a man on a path to accept his homosexuality. I've always enjoyed reading about people coming to terms with who they really are. Great review!
Thank you very much. This is a great book and I enjoyed it a lot :)
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

Great review and thank you for writing it. The book sounds very interesting, but I don't normally read memoirs. I do like how it has humor in the book and that the author adds bible versus to emphasize points. Again great review, you did a wonderful job describing this book.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great review, kimmyschemy06! I do enjoy memoirs where it seems like the author is speaking to you. It's so sad that he was withheld from communion "because he is considered unworthy" - that breaks my heart. But, I'm glad that Mr. Beattie took the time to share his experiences because I can easily see this as a read to inspire many. Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Not my cup of tea, but it does sound like a touching memoir. It is good that the author shows in his book the extent of "disrespect, discrimination and prejudice against LGBTQ". Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
skalicia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skalicia.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by skalicia »

Although this isn't the type of book I typically read, the book sounds moving. The author has shared his life in such an important way.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”