Official Review: The Left Out Child by Judy Helm Wright

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: The Left Out Child by Judy Helm Wright

Post by Shelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Left Out Child" by Judy Helm Wright.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Like most parents I know, I worry about my daughters’ social development, about how they treat others, and about the friendships they make. I often wonder if I’m doing too much socially for them, or not enough, or if my help is actually needed at all. I want my daughters to be kind to everyone, not worry about climbing the social ladder, and have healthy friendships. After reading The Left Out Child: The Importance of Friendship by Judy Helm Wright, my nerves were set at ease as I realized my fears are not unique and my children are developing fairly typically.

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. I thought the content and information were important and presented in an easy-to-understand manner. The author clearly has a passion for children and that was evident throughout the book. I wasn’t able to award 4 full stars due to the lack of editing in this book. There were various typos, spacing errors, and some odd formatting issues that made the book feel unprofessional, which is unfortunate because the content was so good.

The Left Out Child is a practical guide for parents. It outlines the importance of childhood friendships, types of friendships, social skills and how to teach them, the unique challenges of making friends in today’s modern culture, likability, and conflict. The section about appropriate friendships at different ages (babies, toddlers, tweens, etc…) I found very helpful and was easily able to see where my own kids fit the various descriptions. I thought the section on bullying to be quite timely considering the topic has been on the hearts and minds of so many parents recently.

Much of the descriptions and advice in The Left Out Child were fairly common sense. However, if other parents are like me, this common sense may not always be at the forefront of their minds and the reminder was much appreciated. Tips such as “say hello and smile” seem almost too simplistic, but when I think about how much a smile and a warm greeting can put another at ease, I realize that these simple things are often the most important.

I would be remiss not to mention that this book appears to be best suited for typically-developing children. I think my friends with special-needs children would find this advice frustrating because their kids are not capable of responding in the ways described in this book. Author Judy Helm Wright is a parent educator, not a doctor, and encourages parents to seek out other resources or professional help if they have concerns about their child’s development.

I would recommend this book to parents, educators, daycare employees, and anyone else who works with children. The tips are practical and most are very easy to implement right away. I liked the encouraging tone of this book and think others will find it helpful as well.

The Left Out Child
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This is an interesting topic. Good to know that it is really geared toward "normal" children, rather than special-needs. Thanks for the review.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a pretty good book. It wouldn't really be for me as I'm not around children all that much, but it's good to know that the knowledge is out there. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great book. Only, a little too late for me as my children are all practically grown up and, as far as I know, didn't have any problem making friends and developing friendships. I do believe, though, that it would be helpful to others. Great job on the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”