Official Review: Fused by Dr James Manning

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Re: Official Review: Fused by Dr James Manning

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

I think this book would provide a great insight into OCD, which would enable the readers to be more compassionate towards the people who suffer from this problem. Since the author is an expert in this field and the book has received the validation of a reviewer (who has been diagnosed with OCD), the book has become quite authentic.
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
Jessica Samuelsen
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-samuelsen.html
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jessica Samuelsen »

It's nice that this book was helpful for you. It sounds like a really good resource for information on OCD personal and clinical.
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Post by Aldonsa »

Thank you for the review! It sounds like a very cognitive book that I would read. Not only because of my great interest in psychology. I’m working with people and I’ve met some with OCD. I think this book would be very helpful for understanding such people and communicating with them.
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

You are awesome! This was such a great review! I'm looking forward to reading this book. I am a teacher and learning about and recognizing certain behaviors will help me reach more students overall. I love that there is a section at the end of the book for those who suffer frim OCD. It gives that person direction on what to do next and lets them know that they are not alone in this journey of theirs, which is always comforting! Thank you, again!
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

Amazing review LivreAmour217! This book is very much for me. I have OCD instances but not quite like a struggles at all. I'll put this on my tbr.?
Peculiar. Unique. Extraordinairé | Philippians 4:13
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I love that the author has ben able to know the subject from both professional and personal point of view.
lucky1324
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucky1324.html

Post by lucky1324 »

It's not easy to deal with a disorder specially if your loved ones are the people afflicted with it. It's good to read a book like this dealing with it not from an outsiders view but from the sufferer himself. Clearly this is a book worth reading.
matildajay
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4056">The Glass Castle</a>
Currently Reading: The Tender Bar
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matildajay.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by matildajay »

Thank you for writing such an honest review to correspond with the tone of the memoir. Everyone has their own little quirks, and I like how you open this book up not only for the reading by those who suffer from OCD, but a more common ground. It sounds like this book has a lot to offer in a variety of areas, and I really look forward to reading it, and gaining a better understanding of this disorder.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." - C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
WINFRIDAH JUMA
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winfridah-juma.html

Post by WINFRIDAH JUMA »

In life in one way or another we all tend to have our own obsessions and sometimes, we mighty not even realize it. Thanks for the review because i bet that this book is going to help us all because we are going to deal with such situations in a more positive way
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Forgiven
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

I like a book that is informative aboutt scientific research. I had a little controllable OCD so I can relate. I cannot wait to read the whole book.
Festus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-festus.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Festus »

Fused: A Memoir of Childhood OCD and Adulthood is timely especially at a period when the call for synergy between victims of psychological crisis and "observers" is increasingly becoming louder. Dr Manning effort is therefore not only epochal but also a milestone in human advancement.
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

This book is great. It can help people who encountered such disease. I would probably refer it to people I know to read this book and gained knowledge about its content.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by dhwanis »

Excellent Review! Here are my thoughts on the book: OCD or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in mainstream media is seen as a character Quirk, from Monica in friends to Sheldon in the Big Bang Theory, we have seen characters who get irritated when things are not in their place or how they should be. These character traits are usually there to provide comic relief, but what we fail to see is what happens to the people who actually have to live with OCD. We hardly see books or any media portraying this seriously.

Fused is written by a person who suffers from OCD from his childhood, and then goes on to become a phycologist. So, we see and understand the workings of his mind from a very basic, raw, personal level on one hand, and a scientific level on other. We see how this issue made him reach the depth of isolation and depression and we also see how his study of the human mind helped him understand and accept himself. We see how coming across the cognitive behavioural therapy helped him understand and control his compulsive behaviours.

It is easy to become annoyed by a person with OCD, but if we step into their shoes it helps us empathise. This is a no-nonsense book on what goes on behind the scenes. It is a book for those who suffer from OCD, as they would be able to understand and empathise with the writing, and those who do not, as it would help get to know and understand people who do.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”