Official Review: Fused by Dr James Manning

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Official Review: Fused by Dr James Manning

Post by jamesabr »

I'm glad that this book gave you a comforting experience. I may not be a psychology student or personally know someone who has been diagnosed with OCD, but this sounds like an interesting read.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

Thank you for your review. I believe that everyone at some point and different severities are OCD. I think back over the years on how I used to be and I think there were some instances that I may have been a bit OCD, no official diagnosis because it was not something to be discussed at that time. That said, I do have two daughters that are OCD, the youngest more so to the point that lately she has issues when she leaves the house. We live only an hour away and she has not been home since July of last year. She has a fear of getting in the car for that drive. That said, I will be sharing this book with my daughter.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

This sounds really interesting! Although I don't have OCD myself, I think it'd be good to have a better understanding of it, and I've simply always been interested in topics like these. Great review!
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This sounds like a great, informative, well-written book that really educates the public on OCD. As a psychology major myself, topics like this have always interested me. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Sugarmommy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sugarmommy »

I found this book very interesting because I have two children with severe OCD and one with autism. This book gives insight into a world that no one truly understands unless they have lived it or gone through it. I applaud for the author and the courage that went into writing this book
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

How brave of the author to share his experience with OCD! A timely book that could help anyone with OCD cope. Thank you for a great review!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

I can relate to this book because someone close in the family has been trouble by OCD for a good number of years now. Congrats on being the BOTD. :)
Terezke9
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terezke9.html

Post by Terezke9 »

Hello LivreAmour217, I just started reading Fused by Dr. James Manning. So far I am enjoying the book, his style of writing has a flow that carries you along until you are forced to place the book down for later because "life" surfaces and you need to attend to it. I also enjoyed reading your review and appreciated the openness you imparted. You also mentioned that you have mild Autism and I wondered if you have read any of the books by Estelle Ryan, she has 10 of them so far. They are fiction and the main character has high functioning Autism. These books, although fiction, have much detail about Autism. They were eye-openers for me and led me to more knowledge. Thank you for your review.
Jauthor97
Favorite Author: J R R Tolkien
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jauthor97.html
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
fav_author_id: 2578

Post by Jauthor97 »

Thanks for the review! This sounds like a good read for both people with OCD and without!
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

This sounds like it will be a helpful read for those with OCD and even those who have wondered what was up with friends and/or acquaintances who might have it. It certainly sounds like it was a help to you. Thanks for the insightful review.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
constantine265
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constantine265.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Post by constantine265 »

Thank you for the review. I believe everyone should read this book no matter if they have disorder or know someone who has it. This world would be a much better place if we took more time to understand others and troubles they have to deal with on everyday basis.
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Great review! I also suffer from OCD and these intrusive thoughts affect my everyday life. My OCD really seems to peak for a year after I have my children. I had severe post partum anxiety and OCD to the point of having a nervous breakdown. My youngest is 8 months old and I am just now getting back to my normal level of anxiety and OCD. I relate to the author on so many levels. This book has made me not feel so alone.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Henry Kaisemutala
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-kaisemutala.html

Post by Henry Kaisemutala »

It is so helpful to not only people with OCD, but even others with friends with OCD. Thanks for the review and congratulations to the author.
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

Thanks for your review! When I saw the BotD was non-fiction, I was, well, nonplussed; however, psychology fascinates me, and I know a few people with OCD (possibly myself included). As much as I despise Amazon's Cloud Reader, I'm glad for the opportunity to read it.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thanks for the review. I am glad to hear that you didn't have any problem understanding any terms that may have been used in the book. Sometimes when doctors write books, it is possible for them to get too technical and make the book a little more difficult to understand.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”