Official Review: Shannon's Story: An Angel's Journey Thro...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Shannon's Story: An Angel's Journey Thro...

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shannon's Story: An Angel's Journey Through Cancer" by Nicole Brown/Anne Chatterton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cancer is a relentless, horrific disease. While it often takes wonderful people away at far too young an age, it somehow leaves those still standing with a new appreciation for life, friends and family. Such is the case with Shannon's Story: An Angel's Journey Through Cancer by Nicole Brown with Anne Chatterton, a biographical story written by a very loving little sister. Shannon's story managed to pull off that wild contradiction of describing a loved one that suffered from cancer while leaving me with a sense of hope. It's also a fantastic memorial for Shannon, someone who touched countless lives during her life and now can continue to do so forever.

Shannon was a medical assistant for years and always made sure she was in great shape, so it came as a huge surprise in September of 2013 that she was diagnosed with stage two cervical cancer. After a full hysterectomy the cancer seems to be behaving oddly and it's discovered she now has stage four lung cancer and stomach cancer! When local doctors just cant seem to get things right she ends up at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Finally receiving the treatment she deserves by kind, attentive doctors things start seeming better, but cancer is a roller coaster and "better" rarely lasts long.

Shannon's Story: An Angel's Journey Through Cancer is a very touching story. It's told through a combination of standard narrative and entries from a Giveforward account (a fundraising site that was set up to raise funds for Shannon's cancer treatments). These two go perfectly hand in hand - the Giveforward entries are dated and were posted regularly when there was more information to give, so they're like following along in real time. Some of the entries are even written by Shannon herself, giving the reader a glimpse at her thoughts. The writing by Nicole is great as well, it's clear she was very close to her sister and her parts let us see the emotional toll cancer takes on loved ones. There are also some great photos included throughout the book, from childhood to cancer warrior.

The book really conveys the roller coaster of emotions that cancer causes as well. There are several high moments, some so incredibly full of hope and joy that the cancer seems almost gone, and then others that are so terribly low like discovering that the cancer wasn't gone and had spread even further. I'd seen so many stories show a downward spiral with maybe one good bounce back from the first chemo treatment or right before they die, but Shannon's story is a rollercoaster that would be right at home at Six Flags or any other amusement park!

I absolutely loved how genuine Shannon's story was, but there were a couple things that could have been improved. The book starts off in December of 2013 (a few months after Shannon is initially diagnosed with cancer), then jumps back to explore her childhood, her pre-cancer life and so on. I really would have preferred if it just started with Shannon's childhood, although it certainly isn't a big issue. Also, there are a few grammatical errors and odd punctuation choices, especially toward the beginning of the book. They were never enough to take away from my enjoyment of the book, but they did make me stumble at times.

Shannon's Story: An Angel's Journey Through Cancer is a fantastic memorial that uses numerous different methods to tell Shannon's story, and especially with the inclusion of a few resources at the end it's something I absolutely recommend to those who have a loved one with cancer. It's also a book that anyone suffering from cancer or who has battled cancer (either themselves or alongside a loved one) should give a read. I'm happy to officially rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Shannon's Story: An Angel's Journey Through Cancer
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This is a wonderful review, thank you for it! I know firsthand what it's like to lose a loved one to cancer, so I can relate to the author on some level.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Cancer is something that has touched just about everyone in some way or another. I, myself, know a couple of people who are still battling with cancer. It's great to see stories of inspiration and find out how others deal with cancer. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
The Proficient
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by The Proficient »

I could anticipate that this book should have been soaked in emotions. Cancer is really painful and it's almost equivalent to death. I'm eager to read the complete book as from the reviews I understand that it's definitely worth reading.
IsabooCrawfish35
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by IsabooCrawfish35 »

Few of us miss the pain and suffering that comes with cancer. Sure to be an emotional read but I am going to place it on my shelf to be read.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

sure does sound like it runs the entire emotional gamut. I am not sure that I am strong enough to handle a journey through something so personal as a cancer battle. Thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”