Official Review: Half My Life: The Testimony of a Father ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Half My Life: The Testimony of a Father ...

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Half My Life: The Testimony of a Father and His Special Needs Child" by Joseph Lim.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There comes a time when a read is both simple, yet thought-provoking. A read in which seems a bit out-of-reach, yet so relatable. This is what it felt like to read the non-fiction text, Half My Life: The Testimony of a Father and His Special Needs Child by Joseph Lim.

Joseph Lim is a husband and a father of three beautiful children. For this book’s focus, he wrote about his son, Jordan. Jordan is energetic, lovable, and strong. He trusts his parents wholeheartedly with every decision that is made, which is key since this young boy has autism. Autism is a condition that affects the development of the brain and essentially affects Jordan’s daily life. What makes this situation even more challenging is that this boy has also been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at a very young age. In this read, the reader learns and gets to know the trials and joys that Jordan brings to his loving and persevering family.

There are so many aspects of this book that I really love. For one, I enjoy the author’s writing style and his attitude throughout the piece. His writing is comfortable, logical, and simple. He writes in a way that makes you feel like you are best friends. With every passing page, there are a range of emotions that correlate with the stories he shares. Sometimes he is happy of the wonderful accomplishments his son has made, sometimes he is frustrated with the way people treat others with special needs, and sometimes he is in awe of his son’s strengths.

Secondly, Lim has a great ability to communicate so well, and that most likely has to do with his passion – God. This author has wrote and presented several sermons in his life, which explains why he attributes much of this book to God’s love and care for people. Even with having a son who will always need care and services for the rest of his life, Lim knows that the Lord has a bigger plan for Jordan. Therefore, he holds no resentment or anger toward the fact that his boy has two conditions that makes Jordan’s life more challenging.

Lastly, I have to say that this book has brought back so many wonderful and trying memories to me as well. I taught children with autism for a few years, and I absolutely love each and every one of my previous students – even those who tested my patience and had physical behavioral outbursts. Lim was able to bring back these memories and his story touches my heart. He is truly a parent that not only loves his son, but understands him as well.

Hands down Half My Life deserves a 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this loving tribute to those who have or work with children with special needs and even to those who would like to learn more about what it means when a child has autism.

Half My Life: The Testimony of a Father and His Special Needs Child
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a touching and thought-provoking book. His son is lucky to have him as a father.
Thank you for the insightful review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, gali! Yes, I agree. Jordan is very lucky to have Joseph as his father. I wish there were more parents like Joseph out there. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. My sister has a child with autism. I'm sure this would be a great book to read! Sounds inspiring.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It is an inspiring read, and I think many parents and caregivers will find that they can relate. Thank you, kandscreeley!
Heidi

PARVEZ ALAM
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parvez-alam.html

Post by PARVEZ ALAM »

Very nice and heart touching story
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, PARVEZ ALAM, for reading my review and commenting. It was a very touching story. :)
Heidi

Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

I have worked with children with special needs and have family member who is autistic. I'm sure I would enjoy this book. Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very inspiring and very touching book especially for parents. It's very kind of the author to share his experience with the readers. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Joseph Lim on such an obviously well written book.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Sounds like a very good read. People on the spectrum can be a great blessing in spite of their quirks. We love our spectrum son so very much, although so far he evidences more of the problematic symptoms while we struggle to find the good. He can be SO very amazing, but most of the time it appears as though he chooses to not. Still trying to reach him. Still wondering if "Autism spectrum" really is the whole picture for him. He is quite complex :D
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This sounds like a beautiful book, and I am adding to my reading list. Thank you for the great review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Clarisa
Currently Reading: Bard's Exile
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clarisa.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Clarisa »

I myself have worked with students with special needs and I can't even begin to imagine how difficulty it may be for parents. This book will give a great insight. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Elaine5 wrote:I have worked with children with special needs and have family member who is autistic. I'm sure I would enjoy this book. Thanks for your review.
I think you would too! It was a great and well-written read.

-- 21 Feb 2017, 18:10 --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very inspiring and very touching book especially for parents. It's very kind of the author to share his experience with the readers. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Joseph Lim on such an obviously well written book.
It was a very inspiring read, and I also thank the author for sharing his very touching story about his special son.

-- 21 Feb 2017, 18:16 --
greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Sounds like a very good read. People on the spectrum can be a great blessing in spite of their quirks. We love our spectrum son so very much, although so far he evidences more of the problematic symptoms while we struggle to find the good. He can be SO very amazing, but most of the time it appears as though he chooses to not. Still trying to reach him. Still wondering if "Autism spectrum" really is the whole picture for him. He is quite complex :D
People on the spectrum are fascinating to me. There is always something that sets them apart and there is never a dull moment, for sure. I can only imagine how much more effort it takes to be a parent of one on the spectrum. I give a lot of credit to you and all the parents who are just trying to reach their children who are a bit of a mystery. Thank you for sharing about your son and I wish you and your family the best. :)

-- 21 Feb 2017, 18:18 --
LivreAmour217 wrote:This sounds like a beautiful book, and I am adding to my reading list. Thank you for the great review!
Thank you, LivreAmour217! It was a beautiful book. On top of how the author speaks about his son, Lim has included poems that focuses on Jordan, which is very touching. When you do get to read it, I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. :)

-- 21 Feb 2017, 18:21 --
Clarisa wrote:I myself have worked with students with special needs and I can't even begin to imagine how difficulty it may be for parents. This book will give a great insight. Thanks for the review!
Thank you, Clarisa! I feel the same way. What's great about this read is that it is apparent that the author knows and continues to get to know his son. Understanding and getting to know a child who may not be as verbal as others can be challenging, but Lim has such a positive outlook at many things. I give him and his family a lot of credit.
Heidi

Richard Arup Banarje
Currently Reading: My Dad, My Dog
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Richard Arup Banarje »

Half My Life: The Testimony of a Father and His Special Needs Child by Joseph Lim

autism is now common in our society.they are different form us . they can't do work like normal people. they have to face many difficulties in the society. we can not accept them easily. we treat then badly.
author write a story of a father who have a special need son and struggled hard for his son.. facing many difficulties this father didn't loss his hope and faith upon God..
this story will touch everyone's heart and will make us to realize struggle of special need child's parent..
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Richard Arup Banarje wrote:Half My Life: The Testimony of a Father and His Special Needs Child by Joseph Lim

autism is now common in our society.they are different form us . they can't do work like normal people. they have to face many difficulties in the society. we can not accept them easily. we treat then badly.
author write a story of a father who have a special need son and struggled hard for his son.. facing many difficulties this father didn't loss his hope and faith upon God..
this story will touch everyone's heart and will make us to realize struggle of special need child's parent..
Plenty of people with autism do work, even in professional fields. Remember that autism is a spectrum, from very mild to very severe, and everything in between. My son has autism. He has a bachelors degree. With lots of therapies and help along the way, he will one day live on his own.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”