Official Review: Super You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Official Review: Super You

Post by James Craft »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Super You" by Andy Walker and Kay Walker and Sean Carruthers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Super You by Andy Walker and Kay Walker and Sean Carruthers is a non-fiction book about the future of technology. It is particularly aimed at technology in medicine and the ways in which technology will change the way we treat patients and cure diseases. It breaks down a lot of modern technologies, such as cosmetic surgery, 3-D printing, and cyborgs, to show how the world is constantly evolving.

In addition to the ‘what’ and ‘when’ of the technology, they also explain the ‘why’. It was interesting to learn how many of these technological advancements came into being and what social or political change led to their development. I learned something new in every section of the book, even when it was a technology I was familiar with prior to reading this book.

The book felt very clean and refined as I made my way through it. There were not a lot of extraneous details spread throughout to take up space. Even when they were throwing numbers at the reader, the authors did an amazing job of making the information easy to understand. I appreciated this because I feel that this topic is incredibly important to our future and more people need to engage with it. This book can serve as an excellent introduction for people who don’t really know much about modern technology but would like to learn.

The authors make a lot of interesting claims throughout this work: for example, during the chapter about human beauty they discuss the idea that women are less likely to be satisfied with their bodies than men, and they have the data to back it up. They are also able to show that attractive people are more likely to receive circumstantial benefits from society they might not even realize they are getting. All of it relates back to the overall topic of the chapter about how technology is making it possible for people change their bodies in radical ways that would not have been possible using with cosmetic surgery. People want to make changes, and now they can in new and exciting ways, but we also have to ask ourselves: how far will it go?

My favorite section of the book was about longevity and the idea that human beings might overcome death one day. They list out the ways in which people die and the idea of old-age and super-agers. The technology that might help us solve the problem of living longer is still incredibly young, but I think it is fascinating and the authors did an amazing job of explaining where the field is currently and what we can expect in the future.

This book stands out as one of the best non-fiction works I’ve read in a long time. Super You by Andy Walker and Kay Walker and Sean Carruthers earns an easy 4 out of 4 stars from me because it does such an amazing job of not only explaining what technologies are coming, but also how those technologies came to be. Anyone who is interested in non-fiction explanations of modern technological advancements will truly enjoy this book and everything it has to offer.

Super You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like James Craft's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I don't read much non-fiction, but this sounds very interesting. It would be great to see where technology will be taking medicine in the future.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

kandscreeley wrote:Wow! I don't read much non-fiction, but this sounds very interesting. It would be great to see where technology will be taking medicine in the future.
Yeah some really cool and useful information in this one! I'm really glad I picked it up!
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I definitely am curious to find out these things. This book is going into my Want to Read Shelf. A great and well written by the way.
Congratulations to the author on getting the highest possible rating!?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:I definitely am curious to find out these things. This book is going into my Want to Read Shelf. A great and well written by the way.
Congratulations to the author on getting the highest possible rating!?
I am sure you will enjoy reading it! They really earned the rating and I think this book is great for a lot of people!
jhmende
Currently Reading: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhmende.html
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.

Post by jhmende »

This book sounds really interesting! Awesome review!
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

jhmende wrote:This book sounds really interesting! Awesome review!
Thanks very much and thanks for stopping by!
IsabooCrawfish35
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by IsabooCrawfish35 »

This sounds like an interesting book. Will put it on my books to read shelf.
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

IsabooCrawfish35 wrote:This sounds like an interesting book. Will put it on my books to read shelf.
I hope you enjoy it! Thank you so much for stopping by!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I'm actually technologically challenged, but you made it sound like this book can be easily understood by an old school like myself. Good job on the review. Congratulations to Andy Walker, Kay Walker and Sean Carruthers on such an obviously well written book.
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting book. I'm actually technologically challenged, but you made it sound like this book can be easily understood by an old school like myself. Good job on the review. Congratulations to Andy Walker, Kay Walker and Sean Carruthers on such an obviously well written book.
Definitely agree with everything you said! Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you enjoy the book!
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Wow, this stuff is crazy. I know things like this exist out there in the world, but it certainly puts things in a new perspective. Thanks for the review, and I might check this one out to see some of this craziness myself.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Lincoln wrote:Wow, this stuff is crazy. I know things like this exist out there in the world, but it certainly puts things in a new perspective. Thanks for the review, and I might check this one out to see some of this craziness myself.
Thanks for stopping by! Certainly a lot of things in this book are mind blowing and crazy, and I hope you enjoy reading it!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”