Review by SandraTWP-BRW -- Achieve Your Dreams

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by SandraTWP-BRW -- Achieve Your Dreams

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A current search of Amazon Kindle offerings will produce a plethora of books designed to explain how to achieve goals large and small, with specialized focus for everyone from stay at home moms to corporate CEOs, from the solopreneur to the white-collar Wall Street scion. While it can be comforting to select a title that seems to appeal directly to someone the reader may identify with, the most important factor with such self-help titles is how effective the content will actually be in assisting you in making the changes you want.

Scott Hughes’ Achieve Your Dreams: Why You Don’t and How You Can is one of the most straightforward, baldly honest, and succinctly stated books in this genre.

The book is structured in four primary sections. First, Hughes presents the question “What is your goal?” Many of the examples provided in the book refer specifically to individuals who desire to write, but as is pointed out, the thoughts and reflections apply to any seemingly unattainable goal. Hughes goes on to state his premise that there are two main reasons that people do not achieve such goals.

The next section is dedicated to the first premise, that we fear our dreams. Hughes spends a great deal of energy and explanation here, pointing out the common experiences we all share, that, unfortunately, derail most of us from the dreams and inspiration we so easily find in early childhood. He rightly points out that every choice for something is a choice against something else, and that we often make the choice we are counseled is safe - whether it is or not, and whether it’s what we want or not. The advice we receive is intended for our own good, but often truly the result of others’ fears and failures, and thus, this fear is passed from one to another.

The third section addresses the fact that, statistically, most people who have lofty goals fail to achieve them. I particularly appreciate the fact that Hughes looks beneath the surface of those numbers. He addresses not only the reasons for failure, but to encourage the readers to question whether or not people made an honest attempt to pursue the dream in the first place. It’s one thing to have a dream and say you’re going to pursue it. It’s another entirely to make a practical plan that actively works towards the realization of that goal.

The final major section of the book are what Hughes calls his “Bossy Awesome Commandments.” Here, he shares six rules or parameters - they’re more than simply guidelines - to present each step towards the achievement of big goals. His use of humor in calling them “bossy” in no way takes away from the vitality of these directives. Some call back to earlier illustrations in the book, while others might seem like common sense. However, I believe that often “common” sense may be common in understanding, but not in application. In this case, Hughes is calling us out to apply these precepts actively, not theoretically.

Overall, I found the book to be an extremely refreshing read when compared with other books I’ve read in this category. Hughes’ writing comes across as reflective, conversational, and friendly. Even when he’s “calling you out,” I found my response as a reader was not to react, but to reflect on how this could make a positive difference in achieving the progress I desire in both personal and professional areas of my life. Achieve Your Dreams: Why You Don’t and How You Can is a surprisingly easy to read book in terms of the value within. I found it to be clear and concise, and noted no typographical or other errors. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Achieve Your Dreams
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SandraTWP-BRW's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

You did a great job on the review. I like how you talked about the 4 different sections that make up the book. I don't usually read books such as this one so I'll pass on this book.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Thank you for the honest review. This is one great book providing guidance on achieving our dreams.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
g-cosentino
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by g-cosentino »

A sensible down-to-earth review since self- help books aren't for everyone. Sandra discusses the format, content and aims of the authors, making it easy for a reader to decide if this book is something one would want to read.
g-cosentino
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

Wow I had almost written this off as another book that essentially reiterates the overused advice about "manifesting" your goals by focusing on the positives / trusting in the outcome - BUT then I read your review. It seems that instead this actually has practical and logical advice outlined in a way that makes it clear what specific actions one needs to actually take to work toward a goal or dream. Thank you for writing your review so clearly.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This book definitely sounds like it would be helpful for those who are finding themselves in a rut or don't know what they really want. Thank you for the great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Mar Watercolor
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-watercolor.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Mar Watercolor »

This book definitely sounds very interesting. As the reviewer says, there are tons of these books and stories out there, it's hard work to find a good one. So thank you for the honest review. And congrats again!
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

sounds like a great book, thanks for the review.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

Nice review Sandra, there are always reason's I think that people don't often achieve their goals, lack of funds to continue an education, family and work obligations and often just plain laziness. In my case, it was the first three. By the time I got done with those obligations, I became disabled so achieving the goals I had, were not achievable.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Great review! I honestly don't really read self help books, though I suppose everyone can use one every once in a while.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
kinggabrel
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kinggabrel »

i love how there are a large mass of people who can relate on this book because of it relevance on our daily lives. Thumbs up!
hashmuiruri
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hashmuiruri »

Shreyoshi Sen wrote:Thank you for the honest review. This is one great book providing guidance on achieving our dreams.
-- 25 Apr 2017, 14:25 --
Shreyoshi Sen wrote:Thank you for the honest review. This is one great book providing guidance on achieving our dreams.
Rey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rey.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Rey »

It sounds like such an inspiring book. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Thanks for the great review! I don't usually read such books, but you outlined it very well, which makes me want to read it. It sounds useful.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Well-written review! This book seems like it is inspiring and informative.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”