Official Review: If Truth Be Told : A Monk's Memoir

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: If Truth Be Told : A Monk's Memoir

Post by Insightsintobooks »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If Truth Be Told : A Monk's Memoir" by Om Swami.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wanted to go on a search for God? Do you question the existence of the Divine? Do you want to know what it is like to follow your deep inner yearning? If Truth Be Told: A Monk's Memoir by Om Swami answers such questions from a Hindu perspective. This book brings us on a quest for enlightenment and a renouncing of earthly possessions. The author's mother was foretold she would have another child who would renounce the world on a quest for God. Amit, the author's name he was born with, was not told of this revelation as his mother did not want to loose him in this way.

This book takes us through the author's youth where he searches for God and questions life. His mother supports him in his questioning with a loving wisdom. As he grows up he attends college and becomes a millionaire through his business ventures. He does this in an attempted to quiet the yearning of his soul. He eventually decides to renounce all that he has and follow inner urging to find the Divine.

His mother is a loving support throughout this book. She supports her son even though she is worried about what was foretold before her youngest son was born. Amit grows wonderfully throughout this autobiography. He dares to follow the yearning he has had since childhood. This book invited us to follow our own yearnings and shows us it is possible.

This book is a beautiful look at the search for the Divine. The author writes in a conversational easy to read way. We are shown spiritual truths. There is wisdom written through this entire work. We are shown that we have to have action to find the Divine. It cannot be gained through mere reading of books but through true desire and seeking after the Divine.

This book had no grammatical or mechanical errors that I could see. Just so you know, for those in the United States, curb is spelt kerb in this book which is how it is spelt outside the U.S. and Canada. This book was edited very well.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is about a yearning and search for God in the world. I would recommend this book for anyone interested in meditation. I would also recommend it for anyone who is looking for an answer to whether God exists.

If Truth Be Told : A Monk's Memoir
View: on Bookshelves

Like Insightsintobooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting and inspiring book. I would love to know what he did with his wealth :) . Congratulations to Om Swami on such a glowing review.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Sounda very divine book.but I think that too much is revealed in this review. Though a nice and detailed review it leaves very little to imagination.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting and inspiring book. I would love to know what he did with his wealth :) . Congratulations to Om Swami on such a glowing review.
Thank you. It was a very inspiring book.

-- February 9th, 2017, 5:09 pm --
The Researcher wrote:Sounda very divine book.but I think that too much is revealed in this review. Though a nice and detailed review it leaves very little to imagination.
Thank you for the feedback.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”