Official Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Haven’t you ever thought of just leaving your world behind and sailing off on a grand adventure? That kind of fantasy is usually just that: fantasy. For Tina Dreffin, though, this was real life. In her non-fiction memoir, Bluewater Walkabout, Tina shares her experiences adventuring with her family across oceans in distant, exotic locales. Her life at sea is the ultimate embarkation.

Perhaps the most valuable aspect of a memoir is its ability to share unique experiences. In Ms. Dreffin’s case, whether the topic is her chosen lifestyle of living aboard a boat in the Caribbean or her journey across the ocean to southern Africa, this memoir opens a window into a world few others will ever have the chance to experience. From safari tours to ocean gales and from near collisions with diamond miners to near teenage mutinies, this family’s trip is packed with thrills and drama.

Through it all, Ms. Dreffin’s voice keeps the book human and relatable. As a mother, she worries. As a wife, she adores and admires. As a spirited adventuress, she picks herself up, shakes off her insecurities, and faces her next challenge. She doesn’t let the reader forget that the distance from medical help can be more frightening than navigating a notoriously treacherous sea lane, and she’s not afraid to expose her insecurities about her ability to discipline her teenage crew well enough to keep them safe in crime-ridden ports.

Most of the book was very educational. As one might expect, there’s a lot to learn about boats, and sometimes it would have been helpful to have a direct explanation. There are plenty of context clues though, and most readers will undoubtedly emerge at the end with new sailing knowledge. The book is also riddled with other lessons. These small topics (for example, the reason why Napoleon Bonaparte’s tomb on St. Helena did not bear his name) can range from interesting to distracting, depending on reader predilection.

The editing in the book could have been better. There were a few minor typographical errors: “this” for “his” or switching character names, for example. There were also a lot of flashbacks to previous experiences or seasons in the author’s life. These time jumps were somewhat problematic for me. Especially near the beginning, when many people were being introduced very rapidly, it sometimes became difficult to keep track of when the action is happening and who is present. On a couple of occasions, these flashbacks became especially confusing when they were executed mid-chapter, or in one instance, mid-paragraph. The ending of the book was awkward. The story didn’t feel over, and although it wasn’t technically a cliff-hanger, it was abrupt.

When Bluewater Walkabout was Book of the Day in November 2016, I passed it over. Giving it another chance was time well spent, and I have no regrets in reversing my earlier decision. I learned a lot, had a vicarious adventure, and got to know an amazing woman and her family. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. If you are an adventurer or just an adventurer at heart, this book is a great candidate for you.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read especially for readers who are into real life adventures. Too bad, though, about the editing. Great job on the review.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I love adventures and memoirs. This book sounds like one I'd be interested in. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Thanks for the review! I love a good memoir so will have to check this one out!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I would love to be able to go on an adventure like this. At least I might be able to read about it and live vicariously! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wow! I cannot imagine traveling the way the author and her family did! Those experiences are ones that will stick forever. Even with the dangerous adventures, it's great that the author keeps the writing relatable and spirited. It would definitely help me to enjoy the story! Too bad about the errors you had found and that the flashbacks were unclear. I would probably have the same feelings toward this as you. Thank you for sharing your thought, and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like quite the adventure! The lifestyle of living aboard a boat sure sounds unique. It is great that the memoir opens a window into such an exotic world. Too bad about the errors. Hopefully, they were fixed by now. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

Sounds like a wonderful memoir for readers that like this genre. Thank you for your review!
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
OlgaNM
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olganm.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by OlgaNM »

Thanks for the review and for highlighting the positive aspects without forgetting the not-so-positive.
I will check it out.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
twenty7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by twenty7 »

Great review. Thanks
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for the review. This sounds like my cup of tea.
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

Tina's experiences adventuring with her family across oceans in distant and exotic locales is definitely worth a read. Congrats on being the BOTD.. :)
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The sample I read was quite addicting. The author's experiences were surreal. I hope to get the whole story soon.
Thanks for the frank review too.
Dotolusanya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dotolusanya »

The book is quite interesting. it sounds revealing an old personal experience.
Titus Michael
Currently Reading: River's Remorse
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Titus Michael »

The review is really nice, and I really feel like I should grab a copy for myself because I really do love adventures

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”