Official Review: Epic Excellence by David W Deal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Official Review: Epic Excellence by David W Deal

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, thorough review! It's great that the book is easy to understand and for the average person. Like you, when I first read the summary, I thought it was about how to succeed in business. It sounds like the errors could have been caught from an extra round of editing. Congrats to the author for having the BOTD!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

Congrats to the author on making BOTD. Also good job on making the book concise that's hard to do when your writing non-fiction.
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Post by David Nash »

I love to read books on self improvement and I appreciate the reviewer warning me of grammar errors that might mar the book. Hopefully a future revision will correct those errors.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

KentuckyGal wrote:With you on the grammar. I'm not one to pick at every little thing ... but if they add up to interfere with the book itself, something has to be said.

It's funny, because I asked a question the other day about another point of yours...do you read a book like this straight through once (to get it to count for a reading challenge, or to write a review, etc) or do you go through a chapter or section at a time, more slowly, so that you can put it into practice as you go?
I find that books like this are best read slowly. That said, I am the type of person who has a hard time putting down a book until it is all the way finished. The fact that this one caused me to stop many times is a feat in itself!

-- 28 Jan 2017, 13:05 --
Lest92 wrote:Fine review! I agree with you about the bad editing - I noticed errors when I paged through it quickly, and it's a shame that the book ended up published, mistakes and all. I'd like to point out that it's not a novel, but a self-help book. But it's nice to learn that you want to go back and read it again, that's quite a testimonial in itself.
:oops:

-- 28 Jan 2017, 13:13 --
dosenron877 wrote:
This book contains three sections. The first section will help you discover the direction you want to go in life by assessing your passions, values, vision, and mission. The second section is all about planning. It takes you through different strategies and ways to achieve your goals. The last section discusses ways to propel yourself forward and gain momentum.
The reviewer has given us a detailed and thorough review. For a reader like myself, the organization per the quote above is discouraging. The author describes the first section as philosophical; this is where either boredom or my contrarian viewpoint would cause me to abandon the book. I would either agree with the author (boredom) or disagree and get bogged down with the reasoning that led to my disagreement (contrarian). With this book, I had many, many disagreements in the first 20 pages of the sample so I will probably not read further unless the author invites me to join an argument.
All three sections tie in to each other. If you have trouble with the first section, I do not think you would agree very much with the rest of the book. I did not think of this book as being very controversial, but I suppose if you have a strong disagreement it would be off-putting to read an entire book that bases its methods on that disagreement.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3840
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

This sounds like a great book. I think it came along at just the right time for me. It's a shame about the grammatical errors. Maybe the author can polish it up more in future. Great review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

A self help book that helps a person 'embrace their true passions' is always one worth looking at. People sometimes need a bit of help to ease their way on the path that they have chosen. Nice review!
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Thank you for the review. I'm not into self help books, but great review.
Book Devotee
Currently Reading: dance of the gods
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-devotee.html

Post by Book Devotee »

It is nice to find a self help book that is not annoying, but actually makes you feel like it could help you. I love hearing that the book is done in three parts the first being designed to help us figure out where we want to go, most self help books bore me from the start and always make me feel as if I couldn't do it. your review is concise, and gives a good overview of the book without being repetitive. thanks for the great review, I may have to read this my self.
Vir
Currently Reading: Craving Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vir.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vir »

Great review!
If a book like this (I'm talking about the thematic here) makes you take notes and think about how you can implement what it says in your life, is that it has accomplished its mission.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Great review! Certainly makes me curious to read it.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
cschaubfalls
Currently Reading: Epic Excellence
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cschaubfalls.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by cschaubfalls »

I like this kind of book so I was thrilled to have it offered for free and quickly added it to my "to read" list. After reading this great review describing the book as practical and motivating, I am anxious to push it to the top of my list!
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:
KentuckyGal wrote:With you on the grammar. I'm not one to pick at every little thing ... but if they add up to interfere with the book itself, something has to be said.

It's funny, because I asked a question the other day about another point of yours...do you read a book like this straight through once (to get it to count for a reading challenge, or to write a review, etc) or do you go through a chapter or section at a time, more slowly, so that you can put it into practice as you go?
I find that books like this are best read slowly. That said, I am the type of person who has a hard time putting down a book until it is all the way finished. The fact that this one caused me to stop many times is a feat in itself!

-- 28 Jan 2017, 13:05 --
Lest92 wrote:Fine review! I agree with you about the bad editing - I noticed errors when I paged through it quickly, and it's a shame that the book ended up published, mistakes and all. I'd like to point out that it's not a novel, but a self-help book. But it's nice to learn that you want to go back and read it again, that's quite a testimonial in itself.
:oops:

-- 28 Jan 2017, 13:13 --
dosenron877 wrote:
This book contains three sections. The first section will help you discover the direction you want to go in life by assessing your passions, values, vision, and mission. The second section is all about planning. It takes you through different strategies and ways to achieve your goals. The last section discusses ways to propel yourself forward and gain momentum.
The reviewer has given us a detailed and thorough review. For a reader like myself, the organization per the quote above is discouraging. The author describes the first section as philosophical; this is where either boredom or my contrarian viewpoint would cause me to abandon the book. I would either agree with the author (boredom) or disagree and get bogged down with the reasoning that led to my disagreement (contrarian). With this book, I had many, many disagreements in the first 20 pages of the sample so I will probably not read further unless the author invites me to join an argument.
All three sections tie in to each other. If you have trouble with the first section, I do not think you would agree very much with the rest of the book. I did not think of this book as being very controversial, but I suppose if you have a strong disagreement it would be off-putting to read an entire book that bases its methods on that disagreement.

Don't worry:) Happens to everyone - still is an excellent review.
sourav15
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sourav15.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by sourav15 »

It's very interesting to read this kind of books. The review's great and thoughtful. As the reviewer said, it's great and very thought-provoking if a book let you make some effort as well.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

Just downloaded this book.Well,considering I am reflecting on the past and what I can do to make this year better than the last...Let's just say this one is for me!By the way,great review and congrats to the author!
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

The fact that this book made you think over what it could contribute to your life is very interesting. I'll definitely consider reading it. :D
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”