Official Review: Epic Excellence by David W Deal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Official Review: Epic Excellence by David W Deal

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

Thanks for the thorough review. I've read so many books along these lines, and I'm pleased to see you mention this one includes a section on momentum. So many just take the reader through goal setting... and then drop the ball.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

I appreciate the insight that the book isn't just for business purposes but also for individuals. I normally stray from these sorts of books but I will check it out after reading this review!
alangholt
Favorite Book: A Second, Less Capable Head
Currently Reading: The Alex Cave Series Book 4. Gravity.
Bookshelf Size: 465

Post by alangholt »

I really appreciate self-help books because I write a lot of books on self-care for busy people. I'm also a student of consciousness, so I am interested in the way the world "works with us" and our thinking. This book, which I'm excited to read, should shed some interesting light on the discussion.

I appreciate the warning in the review about some typos. Those always get to me, and at least I know going in that they'll be there, which should somewhat mitigate my irritation when I see them.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Great job on the review! Too bad about the errors. Sounds like this book is full of great advice.
DRL_Books
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 527">Alice in Wonderland</a>
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drl-books.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DRL_Books »

This sounds like a very interesting book. I've read many "how to change your life" books but this one really sounds like it gives meaningful advice and a realistic way to set reachable goals. Looking forward to read it :)
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

Great and honest review. I look forward to reading this one. I hate that the grammatical errors detracted from the review score, but I understand the importance of it needing to be professionally edited.
Madison Degraffenreid
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

Love the cover picture of Trolltunga. And if the book can make you reflect on your path in life, that's great.
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thanks for the review. It is interesting to me that a self-help book could be so short and yet so helpful. It is a shame that there were so many editing errors to give it a 3 stars when it seemed that the information in the book itself was helpful to you.
Leese
Currently Reading: The Lafayette Campaign
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leese.html
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Leese »

Thanks for the review! This book sounds like something I definitely need to dive into pretty soon, since I've found myself at kind of a crossroads in my life and maybe this will inspire me to head in one direction or the other. I'm pretty picky when it comes to errors in books but I'm hoping that I can overlook any editing mishaps if the value I can get from the book is as great as it sounds like it could be.
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Adrienne Dawn
Currently Reading: The Obsession
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrienne-dawn.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Adrienne Dawn »

I like that it's not just another book for improving yourself in the corporate world.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you for your review...it was great! The first thing I thought about was its organization... I agree with you and really like how it is organized. Everyone has their own way of understanding and processing information; for some this structure works, and for others it doesn't, as I can see in other posts. Some books lack structure completely, so I'm happy this is not the case here. :-)

I like how you mentioned the author's use of examples and charts, too. Sometimes these types of features draw readers in if they are not particularly fond of how the information in the book is presented or laid out to the reader. Also, visuals and concrete evidence or examples help the readers apply the practices to their own lives, like you were able to! I now know I should have my notebook handy while reading the rest of the book! Thank you again!

Congrats to the author on being chosen for #BOTD and for making it free to readers! Good luck! ??
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

Hi!
There are three points that called my attention in your review: the first one is that you thought that this book was for the corporate world, but no, it is for the individual; the second one is that although the book is short it took you some tiem to read it, because of the ideas that you applied to your life; and the third point is the mistakes you found in the book for which you gave it three out of four stars.
I really appreciate your review, for it gives a complete sense of what the book is like, what may be expected and how useful it can be.
Thank you for all the information you included.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Cheeky
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 22">Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks</a>
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheeky.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Cheeky »

Thanks for the review, there were a Lot of cool insight on how to start and stick to your goals . very motivational great job.
Esies98
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esies98.html

Post by Esies98 »

"I highly recommend [this book] to anyone who is looking for a practical way to improve their life". so... basically everbody. Thank you for sharing this book, i do want to improve my life andalready grabbed my copy.
Jories4
Currently Reading: The Divine Comedy
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by Jories4 »

It seems like a touching book, Thank you for reviewing it I already grabbed my copy.
-Dan

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”