Official Review: Epic Excellence by David W Deal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: Epic Excellence by David W Deal

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Epic Excellence" by David W Deal.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is the time of year when millions of people are reflecting on the past and what they can do to make this year better than the last. It is the time for setting goals and starting fresh. You may have made some New Year's resolutions or perhaps you have given up on even trying. Whatever the case, David W. Deal's book, Epic Excellence, can give you the tools you need to accomplish your goals. It is a highly practical novel taking you step-by-step to help you identify your values and passions, create your vision, see where you are lacking, plan your path to reach your goals, and figure out exactly how to achieve your epic excellence.

This book contains three sections. The first section will help you discover the direction you want to go in life by assessing your passions, values, vision, and mission. The second section is all about planning. It takes you through different strategies and ways to achieve your goals. The last section discusses ways to propel yourself forward and gain momentum.

Originally I thought that this book was written for the corporate world. I was not sure if I would be able to relate to it since I am not a part of a large business. I needn't have worried though. It is geared toward individuals. However, there are principles that can certainly be applied to businesses.

I appreciate that this book is well organized and concise. It is not like many nonfiction books that have a lot of unnecessary filler information in it. Additionally, the author gives helpful charts and examples throughout the book which makes it easy to follow.

While this book is relatively short, it took me some time to finish. This is due to the fact that I had to keep pausing to reflect and write down how I can implement the ideas in this book into my life. I probably still went through it too quickly. I plan to read it again at a slower pace so I can do each step thoroughly. I love it when a book makes me dig deep and this one certainly did. It is practical, easy to understand, and motivating. I am definitely excited to put the things I've learned into practice.

I desperately want to give this book a perfect rating. However, I noticed about six or seven grammatical errors. In one area, the author is talking about the sun rising in the east and setting in the west, but he says it backward. The other areas are typos like using the word ever when it should be every. Because of this, I can only give Epic Excellence 3 out of 4 stars. It's a shame that it was not edited better because the book is absolutely wonderful. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a practical way to improve their life.

Epic Excellence
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, Rachaelamb1! I love that this self-help book is well-organized and that it made you stop and reflect on your own life. It's always amazing when an author can inspire another's life. I might have to give it a try!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like an inspiring read for fans of the genre. It is nice that the book is easy to understand and concise. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

it's nice that the book is concise. Wish it was edited better though. Thank You for the honest & well written review!
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Congrats to the author on a positive review. This is not my type of book, but congrats on BOTD.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Thank you all for the comments. I hope you get a chance to check it out. It is a great book! I was thoroughly impressed.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! I like that o book of this type is written concisely and not just for people in the business world. It sounds like a good read to help one discover where they want to go and how to go about getting there. Thanks for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the review! This sounds like an inspiring book and after reading the free sample, it seems like it is very organized and well researched. Too bad about the few editing mistakes.
chrisann2780
Favorite Author: Colleen Coble
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrisann2780.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
fav_author_id: 5369

Post by chrisann2780 »

Great review. I like that this book is relevant personally also, not only for those in the Congrats to the author on BOTD! I did download this one. Thanks for making this one free.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Fine review! I agree with you about the bad editing - I noticed errors when I paged through it quickly, and it's a shame that the book ended up published, mistakes and all. I'd like to point out that it's not a novel, but a self-help book. But it's nice to learn that you want to go back and read it again, that's quite a testimonial in itself.
anushreevaishnav18
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Regifted
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by anushreevaishnav18 »

Great review. I want this book
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I have added this one to my 2017 reading list. Excellent review.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
KentuckyGal
Currently Reading: The Year-God's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by KentuckyGal »

With you on the grammar. I'm not one to pick at every little thing ... but if they add up to interfere with the book itself, something has to be said.

It's funny, because I asked a question the other day about another point of yours...do you read a book like this straight through once (to get it to count for a reading challenge, or to write a review, etc) or do you go through a chapter or section at a time, more slowly, so that you can put it into practice as you go?
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This sounds interesting. I don't typically read self help books so I don't think I'll pick this up but I'm sure with the errors cleared up this book would be good for people who want to improve their life.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by dosenron877 »

This book contains three sections. The first section will help you discover the direction you want to go in life by assessing your passions, values, vision, and mission. The second section is all about planning. It takes you through different strategies and ways to achieve your goals. The last section discusses ways to propel yourself forward and gain momentum.
The reviewer has given us a detailed and thorough review. For a reader like myself, the organization per the quote above is discouraging. The author describes the first section as philosophical; this is where either boredom or my contrarian viewpoint would cause me to abandon the book. I would either agree with the author (boredom) or disagree and get bogged down with the reasoning that led to my disagreement (contrarian). With this book, I had many, many disagreements in the first 20 pages of the sample so I will probably not read further unless the author invites me to join an argument.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”